1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 17
Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
7/15/13 2:53 p.m.

Nice!

Can I secretly or not so secretly hope you guys end up running better than the FFR818

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
7/15/13 3:05 p.m.

Holy Green Batman!

Me too, with regards to the 818 thing, and you guys didn't even go nuclear with the engine.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/15/13 3:07 p.m.

I think it's fair to say there's a big fat target painted on the FFR818's posterior.

Serious green.

Warren v
Warren v Reader
7/15/13 4:37 p.m.

Keep this in mind when forming expectations: FF has had over a year with the specific car they're bringing to UTCC. Our car was a CAD model two weeks ago, and we gave ourselves zero shakedown time for this thing. The 818 takes a claimed 250 hours to build. Our claim is 80. Pur CCC at matches up well to the $30k 818R, and our build (retail) cost us right at $19.5k right now.

They had 30 employees and years to develop that awesome car; we're just two guys in a single bay shop (and a handful of helpers). I'm not expecting an upset. Tuning and testing is huge in this ballgame. We're just there to prove our concept and get some track time / exposure. Think Catfish at Thunderhill.

Warren v
Warren v Reader
7/15/13 4:47 p.m.

Also, this has been most of my day:

Uncle Touchy's Wild Ride made it to Houston and back in 23 hours, two trips to Carlisle, and a bunch of other runs. Take it 15 miles to pick up the chassis from powdercoat, and the starter gives up the ghost. Yes, we whacked it. A lot. Hard.

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs HalfDork
7/15/13 4:51 p.m.

Have you, or are you going to release the recipe for this ?

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Reader
7/15/13 4:59 p.m.

Warren is such a baller that his car hauler has a car hauler.

Keith Tanner
7/15/13 6:28 p.m.

Fair enough. Realistic expectations are realistic. But at least you're not dealing with an unknown chassis. It's just an anorexic Miata.

icaneat50eggs wrote: Have you, or are you going to release the recipe for this ?

Currently, it's basically: Take one Exocet Race kit, add one Flyin' Miata catalog and stir

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs HalfDork
7/15/13 6:46 p.m.

What all fm goodies are going in the pot?

Keith Tanner
7/15/13 6:55 p.m.

FM II Hydra with Inconel studs and hard oil/water lines, timing belt kit, Mazda Comp motor mounts, race plugs, FM clutch and flywheel, FM crossflow radiator and Stage 2 Airflow kit, coolant reroute, new driveshaft with serviceable u-joints, ARP wheel studs, polyurethane bushings, AFCO suspension with helper springs, FM front sway bar and the four-wheel "Little Big Brake Kit" that puts Powerlite calipers on all four wheels and includes an adjustable proportioning valve. Should be sprightly.

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs HalfDork
7/15/13 7:27 p.m.

Now I've got to go price that out see what it would take to build this thing

Keith Tanner
7/15/13 8:21 p.m.

Warren's doing that for you. As he posted above, they're under $20k in retail dollars. That includes the Exocet, the donor, the FM toys, wheels and tires.

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
7/15/13 8:38 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Warren's doing that for you. As he posted above, they're under $20k in retail dollars. That includes the Exocet, the donor, the FM toys, wheels and tires.

I'll save you the hotlinks and just say this

"every "Mother of God"" Meme out there"

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
7/15/13 9:24 p.m.

Oh god.... maybe this is what my MSM needs to turn into.

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs HalfDork
7/15/13 9:29 p.m.

ok, I dug through the FM site, but I can't figure out the cost I'm looking for. You have the FM II kit, and the one with no electronics.

What I want is everything in the fmII kit, except the hydra. How much are the injectors, and boost control?

and does that kit have a clutch?

Keith Tanner
7/15/13 10:30 p.m.

So you want a no-electronics kit, plus injectors and boost control.

http://www.flyinmiata.com/index.php?stocknumber=22-13100
http://www.flyinmiata.com/index.php?stocknumber=07-27210
http://www.flyinmiata.com/index.php?stocknumber=04-41008

That's $3424. It does not include a clutch or cooling upgrades.

It might be best if you actually called us so we can figure out just what's going to work for your particular situation. Once you start adding and subtracting random things, it's best to deal with a person. I had someone ask me today about a four wheel brake kit minus the special cables, the pads and the special rotors. It's hard to anticipate those sorts of requests with a website.

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs HalfDork
7/15/13 10:35 p.m.

Oh I'm still a long way off. I have learned that if I have a pretty well detailed budget written down to show swmbo these type things go over much better. I'm at least a year and building a shop from starting this

Warren v
Warren v Reader
7/15/13 10:40 p.m.

Somehow, against all odds and flakey starter motors, we're still on schedule. Massive thanks to Iscariot from MX5ATL and the Ben Kenobi of turbos from DIYAutoTune. These guys made it happen. I know nothing of magic snails, I'm just a CAD Jockey here.

Here are your oodles. I would like to say I designed it so the nearby structure is on the compressor side, but that was a happy accident.

The frame slipped on the Miata backbone, never touched anything, including the turbo. Kevin and I dropped it on ourselves with one person checking to make sure we weren't going to hit anything.

I'm not happy with the kink in the oil drain flex line, but now we have a torch and I feel comfortable bending the hard line.

Keith Tanner
7/15/13 11:11 p.m.

Nice oodles! That's perfect.

Don't stress that little kink. The flex section is there for a reason, it's really tough to get the perfect hole location in the pan. You've got more pressing things to do.

v8exocet
v8exocet New Reader
7/16/13 1:09 a.m.

oh man im so happy in the pants right now

v8exocet
v8exocet New Reader
7/16/13 8:48 a.m.

oh hey, forgot to ask. what is the cost for powdercoating on a frame?

Keith Tanner
7/16/13 8:55 a.m.

According to the Exomotive site, "Chassis Media Blasting and Powder Coating - adds $600-$900 depending on color/finish. Over 6500 colors available."

Hopefully Warren is too busy to answer

v8exocet
v8exocet New Reader
7/16/13 9:22 a.m.

well i figured a more exacting price with the wing stays, and a color like that hopefully.

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
7/16/13 9:24 a.m.
v8exocet wrote: well i figured a more exacting price with the wing stays, and a color like that hopefully.

wait wait, you want a color like that?

It's seriously the only thing I don't like about this build so far. Well, that and it isn't going to end up in my garage.

Keith Tanner
7/16/13 9:27 a.m.

I think that color's going to be perfect for the intended use. It has to pop and show off the frame. It should look good in the sun, but it doesn't photograph well under fluorescent lighting. Look at the first shot when it's in the truck.

We're going with bright yellow for a similar reason.

Some of the powdercoat colors involve multiple coats. I don't think the Exomotive green does based on what Warren told me in an email, so it would probably be at the lower end of the range.

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 17

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PH6mM5g32QDWX5ITTVETMHNj5Ze0jzFy2yuUZZFhOsadrvLgfqqqvWKQISe282mG