1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 17
v8exocet
v8exocet New Reader
7/16/13 9:28 a.m.
tuna55 wrote:
v8exocet wrote: well i figured a more exacting price with the wing stays, and a color like that hopefully.
wait wait, you want a color like that? It's seriously the only thing I don't like about this build so far. Well, that and it isn't going to end up in my garage.

have you SEEN my exocet?

v8exocet
v8exocet New Reader
7/16/13 9:29 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: I think that color's going to be perfect for the intended use. It has to pop and show off the frame. It should look good in the sun, but it doesn't photograph well under fluorescent lighting. Look at the first shot when it's in the truck. We're going with bright yellow for a similar reason. Some of the powdercoat colors involve multiple coats. I don't think the Exomotive green does based on what Warren told me in an email, so it would probably be at the lower end of the range.

yeah, the harddog spec miata cage i had powdercoated was a white base, with a glitter flake over that, then a UV clear over that (same as my wheels)

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
7/16/13 9:32 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: I think that color's going to be perfect for the intended use. It has to pop and show off the frame. It should look good in the sun, but it doesn't photograph well under fluorescent lighting. Look at the first shot when it's in the truck. We're going with bright yellow for a similar reason.

I get it - no worries.

I know that after being rushed and put through UTTC it will be mostly useless to everyone, so drop it off at my house and I'll find some way to deal with the color choice.

Warren v
Warren v Reader
7/16/13 10:00 a.m.

In reply to tuna55:

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/16/13 10:17 a.m.

I love the green! What color will the body panels be (I may have missed that earlier in the thread)?

Warren v
Warren v Reader
7/16/13 10:55 a.m.

In reply to dyintorace:

They are already black. The green is not my personal choice, but one made due to how that powder looks in pictures. Google "Prismatic Neon Green", and look at things that have non-flat surfaces. This thing is intended to be a magazine cover car.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/16/13 11:49 a.m.

I don't think the green looks bad, and it's a unique choice for exposed frame pieces. If you use orange people will think "KTM" and if you use red people will think "Ducati."

I think I'd have blue or yellow though.

Warren v
Warren v Reader
7/16/13 11:55 a.m.

Don't get me wrong, the green looks amazing in person.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/16/13 12:26 p.m.
Warren v wrote: In reply to dyintorace: They are already black. The green is not my personal choice, but one made due to how that powder looks in pictures. Google "Prismatic Neon Green", and look at things that have non-flat surfaces. This thing is intended to be a magazine cover car.

That's going to look awesome! Can't wait.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Dork
7/16/13 3:45 p.m.

I used prismatic black for my wheels and it looks unbelievable in the sun light; it was chrome base with the black prism over that then hard clears. I hope to see this thing in GRM soon!

Warren v
Warren v Reader
7/16/13 9:05 p.m.

Fuel tank mounted. Chassis mounted and aligned. Interior firewall panels mounted (with no trimming required!!!) New "Cable Box" installed. Suspension in place and torqued. ARB installed. Radiator placed, brackets in progress.

I'm really happy with out the front panels turned out. The lasered pilot holes for the fasteners worked quite well. Seriously, we didn't have to file or trim the aluminum at all! So happy about that. Also, the grip tape and screw caps really set it off. The crappy cell phone camera and florescent lighting does not do this justice:

AFCO's did a bit of a tophat juggle due to clearance issues in the rear and spring length issues in the front. Keith, we ended up using the flat tophat mounts in the rear and the medium height ones in the front. Mediums would have worked in the rear, but we needed them in the front due to spring length issues. The tall ones are so tall they interfere with the Exocet chassis.

I didn't take any pictures when we called it a day, but here's one from 7:30p (before the fuel tank and radiator was in).

Tomorrow is a matter of hooking everything up and making it work, then a nighttime shakedown.

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
7/16/13 11:10 p.m.

Good luck guys

v8exocet
v8exocet New Reader
7/17/13 11:04 a.m.

they have the ginger giant. they dont need luck lol.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/17/13 12:01 p.m.

This is such a cool build!!!

Warren v
Warren v Reader
7/17/13 9:24 p.m.
v8exocet wrote: they have the ginger giant. they dont need luck lol.

Ginger giant had his wife's birthday today. I told him to sell her off, too inconvenient, he left anyways.

thestig
thestig None
7/17/13 11:10 p.m.

Ok, where are the build pictures? I have been refreshing this page all day at work, lol. Hopefully everything is going according to schedule. I have been lurking around for awhile now and finally decided to join in on the discussion. This build is looking awesome.

Warren v
Warren v Reader
7/18/13 12:52 a.m.

Not going according to schedule. Will we have a car on track? 95% yes. Will I get any sleep? 95% no.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde Dork
7/18/13 5:55 a.m.

Hang in there guys. The GRM nation is rooting for you.

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
7/18/13 6:26 a.m.

akamcfly
akamcfly HalfDork
7/18/13 6:59 a.m.

For anyone who's able...

GET YOA AHS TO ATLANTAAAAA!!!

Warren v
Warren v Reader
7/18/13 7:48 a.m.

Good news is: we now can hook up the Hydra. Good job on Keith for making sure we got the right harness adapter!

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/18/13 8:53 a.m.

This is such a cool concept. Best of luck to you!

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/18/13 9:24 a.m.

Yeah, my bad. When Warren switched from the 2001 donor to a 1999 one, I forgot to change the harness in the big order. So they discovered yesterday that the Hydra wouldn't plug into the wiring. Luckily, Warren called 15 minutes before UPS got here yesterday, so we fired off the correct harness adapter with haste.

Hopefully you guys got some shakedown time yesterday on the stock computer! Go go go.

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs HalfDork
7/18/13 10:04 a.m.

I'm actually a little glad you aren't on schedule. It makes me feel MUCH better about how stupid long my projects take. I mean if you guys have put thousands of hours of engineering and planning into it, and stuff still happens, then I don't feel as bad when I'm trying to rig a custom radiator mount up on the fly and it takes me two weeks of evenings to do it.

v8exocet
v8exocet New Reader
7/18/13 11:00 a.m.

yeah, this is super impressive. First chassis off the line, first turbo kit on one, all the extra cool stuff and work. I worked like 10-12 hours a day for two weeks to get mine driving and running. You guys are doing it in like a 1/4 the time and then going to beat the E36 M3 out of a bunch of other cars. Just goes to show you the level of engineering precision and dedication these guys have. Cant go wrong!

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 17

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NEYGyoHCnT4BuEQjMLrnyGv0m4jY7XRDtIjF4Y8VkUxOAL3wDZJbBDaL46pNzVuV