Cheesy
Cheesy
9/29/20 10:52 p.m.

So I'm thinking of doing a piston engine swap on a FC and I wanna try to find an engine that does not mess up the balance of the car too much. The weight distribution is probably my biggest concern. I wanna try to get around a 52/48 or atleast close to 50/50 f/r weight distribution but I don't know which engines are in similar weight classes.

infernosg
infernosg New Reader
9/30/20 9:09 a.m.

Believe it or not the aluminum LSx motors are not that much heavier than the stock 13B setup. The iron side housings, intake and exhaust manifolds and many accessory brackets are all quite heavy. That being said I feel like Honda's F20C motors are good swap candidates. Lightweight, high-revving, reliable and good N/A power.

fidelity101 (Forum Supporter)
fidelity101 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
9/30/20 9:10 a.m.

K series honda would be a riot. 

Cheesy
Cheesy New Reader
10/6/20 10:36 p.m.

In reply to infernosg :

Good stuff I really appreciate the advice!

RX8driver
RX8driver Reader
10/7/20 7:59 a.m.

Just remember that balance is about more than just weight, handling balance will partly depend on power levels. Throw 400 hp at it without upgrading everything else and it'll be a handful. I'd suggest an aluminum V6 out of a newer pony car for decent weight distribution, enough power to make it worthwhile, but not crazy can't make it handle levels. 

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 Reader
10/7/20 8:11 a.m.

I swapped a 4.8 gen 3 LS into my 87 rx7. I wound up scaling it a few months ago and it was 51/49. this is with an iron block. but there are a few important things to note. 

I do not have ac or ps and i depowered my rack. The battery is now in the trunk on the passenger side. along with a 10 gallon fuel cell. I run a th400 for my trans and a modified mustang driveshaft. Stock ls exhaust manifolds. my alternator bracket is from ict billet and is very light. I have no windshield wipers, no abs, and a composite hood. The car has been stripped of pretty much anything that does not serve a purpose. My dash is also barren as well. Lastly, i do have a plexiglass rear window vs the stock glass window and that saved me a lot of weight. 

All this to say, im not sure if your car is stock with all components or what the end goal is, but i was pleasantly surprised with the result my car yielded. 

The car totaled 2586 with me in it. i am 179lbs. so the car itself is 2407. I plan on making it a little lighter soon by removing the "sunroof" and the head light motors.

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 Reader
10/12/20 9:46 a.m.

In reply to vodanel :

I wouldnt say special, id say cheaper. And probably for not too much longer as they are getting increasingly harder to find and get parts for. 

The FC handles really well in autocross. With tires and a decent struts alone, it will pull over 1g on the skid pad. Get a proper set of coil overs with tires and not kuch is touching you in your class. 

The FD is another category. I wouldnt spend the money on one period. They are cool but if im going to ls swap something im sticking with the fc. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
G0gCXxaJLPTR2CjvBvQXMg7G06UEjzsNgw4FV5a6XHW1JDMU5fwCg5ipLUPoCMbP