Rabee
Rabee
2/20/23 12:39 p.m.

Hi All, 

Back in 2018 I completed this project. I put Ford 302 into W123 Mercedes (240D).

I am sharing it with you in case anybody is planning to form similar or other kinds of swap.

https://w123mercedeswithford50andt5swap.wordpress.com/2018/07/03/the-journey-begins/

Thank you, 

Rabee

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) UberDork
2/21/23 9:39 p.m.

Thank you for sharing this!  I started the blog yesterday.  The 5.0 was my first performance engine love so I really like this.  

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/22/23 12:06 a.m.

That's pretty awesome 

TheRyGuy
TheRyGuy New Reader
2/22/23 6:19 a.m.

Nice job!

I did the same thing (302/T5) to my W123, and yeah it really transforms the car (to say the least!). I often wondered what the engineers in Stuttgart might say if they saw this "cross pollination creation" going on. 

Interesting to see how others solved the same problems (in a different way) that I came across doing my swap.

Thanks for sharing!

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/22/23 10:52 a.m.
TheRyGuy said:

I often wondered what the engineers in Stuttgart might say if they saw this "cross pollination creation" going on. 

IDK if it's urban legend, but my old boss distributed a story about Mercedes engineers in the 1970s lobbying for more powerful engines, and management E36 M3ting on them via not approving the budget.  so at the next evaluation drive, management was delighted that the test vehicle was significantly faster than previous drives.  Engineers lifted hood to reveal BMW engine.  Management subsequently approved the next engine upgrade budget request.

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
2/22/23 11:01 a.m.

Very cool. Thank you very much for sharing.

Hopefully, your results will help enable some people on the fence.  wink

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/22/23 11:30 a.m.

And great timing! I've just been having worrying thoughts about how cool older Mercedes are but also how woefully underpowered. I was searching for documented swaps yesterday.

WillG80
WillG80 GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/22/23 6:52 p.m.

Cool build! I've researched MB swaps quite a bit and it seems the steering box is always the problem. 

Rabee
Rabee New Reader
3/17/23 4:27 p.m.

I added A4 Corbeau racing seats and absolutely transformed by ride! such a confidence inspiring handling.

Well...it still handles like a boat, basically like any W123 would do, but the seat fixes you in place and let you focus on what the car is doing without the need to use the steering wheel to stabilize yourself on cornering.

I think racing seats are probably most underrated performance upgrades among enthusiasts.

I am using factory seat belts as the car is street driven.

Rabee
Rabee New Reader
3/17/23 4:33 p.m.

In reply to WillG80 :

WillG80

I have been considering another W123 swap.

This time will likely be K24 Honda engine with getrag or zf transmission using an adapter. (only engine + transmission + adapter + clutch  will be likely $6000!!)

To your point of having that bulky steering box, try to use an engine like inline 4 or 6 cylinders with the exhaust manifold located on the passenger side.

examples: K20, K24, Ford 2.3 ecoboost,BMW M20 and some Volvo engines...etc

Racingsnake
Racingsnake Reader
3/22/23 9:46 p.m.

Very cool.

How similar is the engine bay and suspension/steering of the W123 to the previous W114/115 models?

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
3/22/23 11:48 p.m.

Our w123 has a few body lightening mods and we cut 1 full coil off the springs. It's actually pretty crisp ride, given the circumstances. We ride on 235/45R17 tires which also greatly helps.

I love this!

Shavarsh
Shavarsh HalfDork
3/23/23 11:31 a.m.
Rabee said:

I think racing seats are probably most underrated performance upgrades among enthusiasts.

I completely agree. I didn't believe it until I put seats and a steering wheel into my ride.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/23/23 12:09 p.m.
Racingsnake said:

Very cool.

How similar is the engine bay and suspension/steering of the W123 to the previous W114/115 models?

The 114/115 engine bay is narrow and I believe it shares the front subframe that went into the 107.

Racingsnake
Racingsnake Reader
3/23/23 10:11 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

Yeah, I've read that the 107 subframe is pretty similar to the 114. Engine bay seems to be fairly tight tho

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
97nY4TiQAibtPtCxiZgMhITAJqxRYshmhuYTUYI4JQ6Gaxn4nH6ttrQ6nFpviNGf