1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13
frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/21/22 9:59 p.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) :

Wait!    don't you have to repay the sales tax when you change the license to your state?   

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/21/22 10:17 p.m.
frenchyd said:

Wait!    don't you have to repay the sales tax when you change the license to your state?   

I've always understood that you pay sales tax on cars based upon where you LIVE not where you buy. 

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent HalfDork
7/21/22 10:51 p.m.

this is on a 110 wall outlet. i don't have 3 phase here but we do at the shop. interested to see what it charges to overnight. will top it off once i get in in the morning.

Piguin
Piguin New Reader
7/21/22 11:18 p.m.

How many times have you gone to the garage to watch it charge so far? laugh

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/22/22 12:23 a.m.
OHSCrifle said:
frenchyd said:

I've always understood that you pay sales tax on cars based upon where you LIVE not where you buy. 

Note that Toyman specified airplanes, maybe they register differently. We picked up the Tesla in UT but paid sales tax in CO. 

Can't wait to hear more about the Lightning. I think you might need a faster charger :)

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/22/22 7:05 a.m.
Norma66-Brent said:

this is on a 110 wall outlet. i don't have 3 phase here but we do at the shop. interested to see what it charges to overnight. will top it off once i get in in the morning.

Awesome truck. Thanks for sharing the journey with us. 

Two observations:

A- 23 minutes plugged in to 110V yielded no distance gained? That seems odd.

B- charge that phone!

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent HalfDork
7/22/22 7:13 a.m.

110 is not very productive. have it on 14-50 right now at the shop. see what happens

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Dork
7/22/22 7:57 a.m.

Ka-wow. I knew 110 would struggle but that reads like it couldnt get the right amps?  

Very interesting. 

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/22/22 8:51 a.m.
OHSCrifle said:
frenchyd said:

Ah. Dang it, then...

Keith Tanner
7/22/22 9:18 a.m.

15A 110V is good for 3 miles of charge per hour on our car, and it's a more efficient vehicle than the truck. So it's not surprising that 23 minutes of charging isn't enough to show an increase or that 8 hrs is only good for about 15 miles on this. Really, it's for emergencies or infrequent use only. 

14-50 should be good for normal overnight charging.

It does take a fair bit of energy to move a vehicle down the road. Every once in a while something will remind us of that. 

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/22/22 9:42 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:
OHSCrifle said:
frenchyd said:

Note that Toyman specified airplanes, maybe they register differently. We picked up the Tesla in UT but paid sales tax in CO. 

Can't wait to hear more about the Lightning. I think you might need a faster charger :)

I would guess that would depend on the state's registration requirements. If you bought it in SC and registered it in SC you would pay SC sales tax. You could then transfer it to another state and not pay sales tax. But to do that, you would have to pay SC property tax which is not insignificant. It might be worth a phone call to your local DMV. If you have a receipt that shows you paid sales tax in another state they may not be able to double charge you. 

I don't think airplanes are registered at the state level. Only with the FAA. If you do the paperwork here and then remove the place from the state all you pay is the $300 sales tax. A $20m plane would come with a significant sales tax burden. You would definitely want to do the transfer somewhere that wasn't an issue. My wife loves those jobs. It takes her 10 minutes, she charges them $100 and they usually give her a large tip because they just saved a pile of money. 

Much like my father's boat. It was a documented vessel with the Feds. He was charged SC property tax only if the boat spent more than 6 months of the year in SC. 

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
7/22/22 9:52 a.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

Some states will charge you the difference. So if the state you bought it in charged 3% and your state charges 7%, when you register your vehicle in your state they will make you pay that 4% difference. 

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/22/22 10:18 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

15A 110V is good for 3 miles of charge per hour on our car, and it's a more efficient vehicle than the truck. So it's not surprising that 23 minutes of charging isn't enough to show an increase or that 8 hrs is only good for about 15 miles on this. Really, it's for emergencies or infrequent use only. 

And doesn't the Lightning have the largest battery pack of any EV that's currently available? Small wonder that 110V has trouble making a dent in that.

Keith Tanner
7/22/22 10:52 a.m.
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) said:
Keith Tanner said:

And doesn't the Lightning have the largest battery pack of any EV that's currently available? Small wonder that 110V has trouble making a dent in that.

You can look at it two ways - battery capacity or vehicle efficiency. Completly recharging a heavily depleted big battery obviously takes longer than completely recharging a heavily depleted small battery. That's why plug-in hybrids can work on 110, they really don't carry much electrical power around.

But I like looking at mileage because that's a better reflection of how you use it. This truck is rated at 49 KWh/100 miles or 490 Wh/mi (the unit I'm used to). Our car is rated at 289 Wh/mi. So the truck has to take on 49 KWh to add 100 miles of range while the car only needs a skootch under 29 KWh.  Given that the charging rate at home is determined by the capability of the power supply and not vehicle limitations (unlike fast charging), it's going to take the truck quite a bit longer to recover the energy expended for daily driving. That still shouldn't be a problem for a Level 2 overnight, but it really shows up with the 110.

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent HalfDork
7/22/22 12:35 p.m.

the 10-50 was much better. this thing just straight hauls berk. comfortable very little body roll compared to a normal f150. very impressed so far

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent HalfDork
7/22/22 10:26 p.m.

So I consider myself a car guy. Have a 66 galaxie, 68 el camino and own a body shop. When i went to order the lighting and lock it in I tried to switch over to a f-250 because i wasn't a ev believer. After doing about 30 miles in this truck I 100% am on the EV bandwagon. It's just such a better vehicle in almost every way. 

Coming from a 14 silverado with 246k it feels like i'm in a rocket ship. i still have a lot of learning to do about the truck. 

This morning i woke up at 5am like always and went to the garage, it was all light up. confused i walked down and the truck was already on, preconditioning the cabin. Ac was on and perfect temp. 

I'm gonna love this truck

mattm
mattm GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/23/22 1:05 a.m.
Norma66-Brent said:

So I consider myself a car guy. Have a 66 galaxie, 68 el camino and own a body shop. When i went to order the lighting and lock it in I tried to switch over to a f-250 because i wasn't a ev believer. After doing about 30 miles in this truck I 100% am on the EV bandwagon. It's just such a better vehicle in almost every way. 

Coming from a 14 silverado with 246k it feels like i'm in a rocket ship. i still have a lot of learning to do about the truck. 

This morning i woke up at 5am like always and went to the garage, it was all light up. confused i walked down and the truck was already on, preconditioning the cabin. Ac was on and perfect temp. 

I'm gonna love this truck

People who have spent time with modern EVs usually have this same response.  As enthusiasts, our initial reactions to EVs focus on all the reasons they can't work.  Once exposed to the reality of living with one, and the new reality of the EV torque curve, even we enthusiasts see that the user experience is better in the vast majority of cases, than what we have been using.  Ford knows that then experience is better and that is why the EV transition at Ford and others is accelerating.  

Congratulations!  The truck looks great.  I look forward to your impressions.

Keith Tanner
7/23/22 1:30 a.m.

There are so many reasons why we're supposed to love EVs, but HVAC preconditioning and never having to visit a gas station are the ones we really appreciate :)

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent HalfDork
7/23/22 11:19 a.m.

just realized there is sport mode on top of what i have been driving......

Keith Tanner
7/23/22 4:16 p.m.

Now that's a fun surprise. "You mean it goes FASTER???"

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
7/23/22 5:46 p.m.
Norma66-Brent said:

just realized there is sport mode on top of what i have been driving......

Ah man. I thought you knew! 

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent HalfDork
7/23/22 8:10 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

i couldn't figure it out. this thing has so many menus and prompts, need to keep exploring!

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/23/22 8:19 p.m.

Preconditioning is great, but, here in FL, what I loved the most about our i3 was the ability to leave the A/C on full blast while in a store. Rather than coming back out to a cabin that was ~130 degrees from baking in the sun, it was frigid instead! Now we're back to hunting for whatever shade we can find when parking. :(

Keith Tanner
7/23/22 8:51 p.m.

In reply to dyintorace :

I would call that preconditioning. You're basically setting the interior temp where you want it before you drive. 

And it's a wonderful thing. 

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent HalfDork
7/23/22 9:04 p.m.

this is the 10k service. lists the same thing every 10k miles. at 100k and 200k it calls for changing the main accessory drive belts. unreal. cabin air filter is listed several times as well

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
phOxeZdP4bFbYGTaPcYIpTodtgx2yHPygM0CZl52qzvNC2sOYkKrl3HxXhW4yICO