1 ... 7 8 9 10 11
TurboFource
TurboFource HalfDork
8/28/23 8:08 a.m.

It would definitely change the side profile of the car to a sleeker look and I would think improve the aerodynamics ..... can always use RainX ....

Box4VIR
Box4VIR GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/28/23 11:02 a.m.
AMiataCalledSteve said:

No wipers? I don't know if you drive in the rain but that looks like it might be difficult to have a wiper stay in contact with the windshield with such a dramatic curve. But you are a far more capable craftsman than I, and it looks pretty rad with that profile.

Good point, I probably wouldn't try and tackle the wipers.  Although even in the rain it may not need them.  I used to have a Lotus Esprit which has a really slanted windshield.  The water ran off of it quickly at any speed.  

Box4VIR
10/7/23 6:17 p.m.

I'm in the process of rewiring the whole car and putting all the fans and pumps on there own switch (there are a lot of them).   I ordered the connectors below but, meh, not great to work with. Any recommendations on connectors?   How are you all connecting terminals?  Im looking for something better than the old school crimped on female/male spade. 

CoolHandMoss
CoolHandMoss Reader
10/7/23 6:41 p.m.

Have you seen the ones that just use a heat gun? The solder loaded type? Those are butt splices though. For connectors, gm style are available pretty cheap and are really rather good. Summit sells a variety of them but some ebay vendors have them cheaper. 

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/7/23 7:58 p.m.

Deutsch connectors are the answer. They come in any number of pin count and wire size you can ever need. They are easy to rebuild if needed with no special tools. Cheaper than motorsport grade and better than weatherpak stuff.

fouckhest
fouckhest New Reader
10/8/23 6:16 p.m.

Deutsch connectors would be my recommondation as well

CoolHandMoss
CoolHandMoss Reader
10/8/23 9:46 p.m.

Deutsche connectors do look pretty nice. Where is good to get them? 

Box4VIR
12/20/23 5:14 p.m.

Well.   I blew up my motor in my garage....  AN line was connected incorrectly after a repair.  Ouch.   The good news is the engine is out and I'll take the opportunity to clean up some stuff from the original swap.  Seeing this whole drive train in the ground has got me thinking though...what else would I drop a midengine setup into.  It's all here down to the shift cables. Fuel, 12v and a radiator and this would run.   I think a mid-engine fox body would be cool.  

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/20/23 8:36 p.m.

What does it weigh?  Just wondering.   

Bummer on the splode.  Looking forward to following as you repair it

Box4VIR
12/21/23 6:51 a.m.

In reply to nocones :

It's all aluminum but it's an anchor.  That whole assembly is much larger than it looks in the photos. Doing some rough math it's around 800lbs.  The transmission is very light but also not strong enough. Needs a Boxster S trans which is 75lbs heavier

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/21/23 12:17 p.m.
Box4VIR said:

In reply to nocones :

The transmission is very light but also not strong enough. Needs a Boxster S trans which is 75lbs heavier

how many have you broken, and in what ways?

Box4VIR
12/23/23 8:19 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

None with this engine, but I've been very very careful.  I broke one with the stock engine and have a friend who has been through 6 of them.  

Box4VIR
12/23/23 8:21 a.m.

hummm, partial body swap...

chandler
chandler MegaDork
12/23/23 8:59 a.m.
Box4VIR said:

hummm, partial body swap...

Heck yes

rdcyclist
rdcyclist GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/23/23 10:31 p.m.

My take: You've got a lot invested in the Boxster platform and it has not reached its potential. I would stick with this until you've got it the point of being a Fully Operational Death Star. The cooling thing isn't gonna get fixed with a different chassis. It's gonna get fixed with finding the solutions on the Boxster. Other people have built big, BIG horsepower Boxes and you can do it too. Dat's my $0.02...

Outkasted
Outkasted New Reader
12/29/23 8:21 p.m.

In reply to Box4VIR :

Sorry to hear about the engine but I know you will make it better. The partial body swap looks cool

Box4VIR
1/11/24 8:11 a.m.

While the engine is out I decided hack the back end up.  I've never really liked the rear, the factory bumper sits low and is narrow which gave the rear end strange proportions and hid the real width of the car.  I'm going to open the whole back end up, keeping just the fenders.  So no bumper, no trunk, exposed engine, suspension and tires.  Similar to the 917 or the Half11. I should save around 60lbs in the process.  I'll need to find a new wing solution or go wingless.  

inspiration for new rear end deaign:

AMiataCalledSteve
AMiataCalledSteve HalfDork
1/11/24 8:27 a.m.

I have never seen somebody who so nonchalantly cuts up their car lol. Great build, I'm looking forward to its next stage!

TurboFource
TurboFource HalfDork
1/11/24 3:06 p.m.

I like it! Hack away!

earlybroncoguy1
earlybroncoguy1 Reader
1/13/24 8:31 p.m.

Box4VIR
1/16/24 12:25 p.m.

In reply to earlybroncoguy1 :

I'm really leaning into that Batmobile design.   I reshaped the fenders accordingly 

Outkasted
Outkasted New Reader
1/17/24 11:00 a.m.

Love the direction you are going. I am assuming you will do some sort of wing/ledge connecting both sides in the back? 

Box4VIR
1/18/24 4:18 a.m.

In reply to Outkasted :

I'm undecided.  I have a carbon wing that fits perfectly there.  I'd like to install it so it's flat against the fenders but mounted to electric step-sides off a truck so it'll raise up a foot.   They generally hold 600lbs so they're strong enough, not cheap new though.

Outkasted
Outkasted New Reader
1/22/24 10:14 a.m.

In reply to Box4VIR :

Now that is thinking outside the box. You probably only need one to make it happen. I am sure there is a junk yard around you can find one if that came from factory on any trucks. 

Box4VIR
1/29/24 1:54 p.m.

While the engine is out I'm toying with the idea of throwing the supercharger I picked up a year ago.  I'd probably mount it directly over the intercooler instead of where I have it shown here.  Twin charging sounds like a nightmare so I want to avoid a situation where both are spooling at the same time.  Instead I want to only use it to help spool the turbos and then kick it off with a mercedes supercharger clutch.  Let me know what you think of the diagram plan below.  Finding a "flapper valve" that will work is the trick, it would need to be airtight in the closed position but in the open position I think it would be fine for it not to be totally sealed. I was thinking something like a BMW Air Flow meter (but made airtight in the closed setting).  

1 ... 7 8 9 10 11

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1X4ygYB7sXb9nLqxEpkaz45jJ1czhbP7lQ2oL7fZfPvmbr5dtzxbH4zIHlQPRhpZ