1 2 3
dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/1/24 8:05 p.m.

Replaced the outer tie rod ends today, will have the front end aligned shortly so I can switch over to the wheels with the good tires.  Old outer tie rods were completely shot, the steering wheel had a lot of movement when going over bumps, and it felt like the steering was binding when it was close to full lock.  Feels a million times better now (even not aligned).  I'll consider that a win!

4/10/24 9:38 p.m.

The car is aligned, I'm going to get some bolts and new arms in the back so they can fully adjust that end, but it's driving much better than before.  I've never replaced tie rods before, but based on my experience here, I'm going to check a few of my other higher-mileage vehicles! 

I'm starting to work on the parts car with the bad motor.  I wanted to confirm the motor was indeed bad, and I think I have.  Unless someone from the hive has a better idea, the plan for the parts car is to strip off the main points of value, and send it along to clean up a garage bay.

4/11/24 8:45 a.m.

Posted in another thread, but thought it was worth putting here, as well - good Saab DIY via YouTube:

Auto Autopsy

Cyclone Cyd

WeekestofWeeks

SaabDr

TheFlyingMechanicDIY

OnTheWorkbench

5/7/24 10:05 p.m.

So it's been an eventful month or so with Hazel.  I had it aligned, but they said they said they couldn't align the rear because of some frozen bolts on the toe arms.  Add that to the list.

I replaced both backup bulbs (one was out), and both rear fog light bulbs (only one rear fog light bulb is installed from the factory) while I had the trunk panel off.

I swapped in the driver's side seat from the parts car, which was in much better shape than the original.  Also swapped in the AMP1 (radio amp under the driver's seat) from the parts car, and had a working radio (and turn signals)!  Was really pumped as this is the 4th AMP1 I've tried in the car and the first time I haven't had the popping noise re-appear.  I was excited and drove it for a few weeks with a working radio.  Almost added it to the Minor Win's thread!

I noticed the A/C didn't seem to be working well (it was great when I bought the car), so I did some diagnostics.  Cooling fan issues will prevent the A/C from kicking on, so I tested those via my Foxwell scanner and they checked out fine.   Checked the low/high pressure with my A/C gauges and they looked a little low.  Added a small amount of R134a, but the compressor still wouldn't kick on.  I also swapped the A/C relay from the parts car with no change, so I jumpered the pins in the fuse box to start the A/C compressor.  Awful screeching ensued, so I think the compressor is toast. Add that to the list.

The compressor pulley wasn't making any noise, but I figured bypassing the A/C probably made sense to avoid the risk of the A/C pulley causing issues. The Saab forums and FB group recommended a 35.5" belt (Continental 4050355), but that was too long and squealing on initial startup (I had replaced the serpentine belt tensioner recently, so I knew the belt length was the issue). Installed a new Gates K050344 35" belt and all was good in that department.

After I installed the new belt, I ran into two issues last week.  The first was the loud popping sounds from the audio system were back.  It started after I loaded some chairs in the trunk, so I wondered if I knocked a connection on the rear speakers.  After some basic troubleshooting, I gave up and pulled fuse 14 from the fuse box on the driver's side of the dash and drove the car home.  Went to start it the next day and got the dreaded "steering lock malfunction" message, so the car currently won't start.  I'm in the process of pulling and cleaning the ISM (Ignition Switch Module) as that's recommended as the first place to start with these types of issues. But that error prevents the car from starting, so it's really annoying.  I do have a backup ISM in the parts car, so I can use that if cleaning the current ISM doesn't do the trick. Thankfully, the ISM doesn't require a Tech2 to marry it to the car.

My biggest frustration with this car is as soon as I fix one thing and start to drive it, something else pops up.  Guess that's the Saab story sad  Not sure where to go from here.  I took a $1500 car and probably dropped another $1500 (probably conservative) into it.  That doesn't include the cubic hours of research & labor, and I currently have a $500 paperweight that won't start to show for it. Hopefully cleaning the ISM solves that problem, but Hazel's charms are wearing thin.  My wife is even less thrilled about the parts car 9-3 taking up the other bay in the garage.  I was looking into that, but my focus has shifted back to getting Hazel running again.

I originally bought this car for my teenage sons to drive.  One of the challenges is that the audio system is not a typical system, it's all a fiber optic loop. On top of that, there are a ton of components, there's the ICM (basically the display), the EHU (the radio/amp), then the AMP1 under the seats.  So short of ripping everything out and starting over with standard components, there's not a good way to add Bluetooth/Apple Carplay to the car. And the lack of a backup camera with new drivers really bothers my wife, and I share her concern.  I did take it to a local shop, and got a quote for $1600 to install Apple Carplay and a backup camera, but all that depends on the original radio working well (which it isn't).  There is a NLA aux cable that will give a 1/8" input jack, but that requires a Tech2 to activate.  I did find out about a wireless backup camera system that has a solar-powered camera that others have used, so that's encouraging in the backup camera department.

Sorry for the rambling, it's been a frustrating couple of weeks. Hopefully I'll make some solid progress before the next update.

5/12/24 6:24 a.m.

ISM has been cleaned, and the "Steering Lock Malfunction" error has gone away.  The circuit board had some dirty contacts, which were resolved by applying Cyclone Cyd's fix. One note - don't use brake cleaner to clean out the switch itself, it caused my plastic to break off in chunks in a few places. Thankfully I had enough of the 8 original tabs to hold the ISM together after cleaning.

I also disconnected the AMP1 amplifier under the seat to stop the audio issues. I lose the radio and turn signals by doing this, but I'm getting white noise from the radio even when it's off, and I don't want to drain the battery. I'm happy with a running, quiet car.

Probably my favorite feature of this car is the heat - it produces heat almost immediately, and the heated seats are amazing! After freezing for 3 hours watching some lacrosse games, I was happy to jump in the car and have almost instantaneous warm air.

In other news, the 35" short short serpentine belt seems to be the perfect length, I've had zero issues since installing about 100 miles ago.

wae
wae UltimaDork
5/12/24 8:13 a.m.

In reply to dj06482 (Forum Supporter) :

That's some great news on the ISM!  I fear how a lot of those electronic modules are going to fare as the cars get older and older!  I know that I've had a couple go-arounds with the ignition switch on my 1990 and I can't help but think that the contacts wouldn't corrode and get as dirty if they hadn't put the ignition switch down in the place where all the spilled drinks wind up!

5/12/24 9:29 a.m.
wae said:

In reply to dj06482 (Forum Supporter) :

That's some great news on the ISM!  I fear how a lot of those electronic modules are going to fare as the cars get older and older!  I know that I've had a couple go-arounds with the ignition switch on my 1990 and I can't help but think that the contacts wouldn't corrode and get as dirty if they hadn't put the ignition switch down in the place where all the spilled drinks wind up!

I generally like the ignition switch on the center console, but it's definitely more suscepitble to spills there - especially with a not-so-good cupholder directly behind it on the 9-3 SS. I was thankful I could take it out and clean it, and that seemed to do the trick.  I do have a spare in my part's car, but am glad it didn't come to using that.

5/15/24 8:26 a.m.

The blower motor has made intermittent squeaking noises since I've owned the car. Yesterday I dropped the blower motor, re-greased the top and bottom of the shaft, and re-assembled. The jury's still out on whether that worked, as I have heard a slight squeak on a few occasions. It seems to be much improved overall, but I may end up just swapping in the used blower motor I picked up from the junkyard last week while I still remember how to pull everything apart and put it back together.

One note for those playing from home, when re-installing the blower motor it slides up into place from the bottom (you'll see the vent portion slides into a channel that way). I had intitially re-installed it from the top, so I had to drop it and correct that. It was making some noise when I had it installed incorrectly, and luckily I tested it before I started putting all the trim back together.

This is the video I used from Paul Carter (Cyclone Cyd).

Here's the old blower motor prior to re-greasing:

5/17/24 8:40 p.m.

I've been getting intermittent rear brake light failure warning messages on the display for a while now.  I did some research and it can be everything from bulbs that are old and dying, bad contacts in the housings themselves, and wiring issues. Whenever I've checked, I've had brake lights, so I haven't been overly concerned about it, but it's annoying.  So, I ordered some new P21 bulbs, and cleaned up the contacts in the housing themselves.  I did give the wiring a good inspection and that all looks perfect, so fingers crossed it was the bulbs themselves.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/17/24 9:57 p.m.

The Volvo had a big brake light relay hidden under a trim panel about a foot forward of the tail light on the driver's side. I wonder if Saab uses the same relay.  

5/27/24 5:07 p.m.

The good news is that the brake light issues seem to be behind us.  There's a ticking noise coming from the dash that I believe is the blend door motor, so I'll add that to the list. 

One thing came up that's probably relevant to all Saab owners. I checked out auto insurance policy, and saw the per-vehicle breakdown.  6 months of collision on the Saab (KBB is probably around $2500) is the same amount as the total for our other three vehicles (combined KBB of $25k).  Full glass and comprehensive were much more expensive on the Saab, but that collision number being 10X higher per dollar of KBB value blew me away!

I'm guessing the biggest factor is parts availability and finding shops that can repair them.  But the difference in cost was much larger than I expected. Dropping collision was an easy decision.

8/15/24 12:54 p.m.

So yes, this could cause a funky warm idle!

Our Rav4 had an issue where the pipe on the muffler rusted through, so my son's been driving the Saab while the parts came in for the Rav4.  He said that he pulled up to a stop sign in a parking lot and the car stalled on him. It immediately restarted, which was good.  I buttoned up the Rav4 last night, so I took a look at it today and sure enough, the tube from the air filter housing to the turbo had separated right by the turbo. No codes, etc. but I'm guessing this is the culprit.  I had previously noticed a small crack and had wrapped some electrical tape around it until I could buy and install a new pipe. They're NLA, but I had bought a good used one off of eBay, so that's installed now and life is good again. I did order a silicone version of this tube because the plastic ones are very prone to cracking, and I also ordered a whole bunch of silicone hoses in 4mm and 5mm sizes to replace the vacuum lines on the car.  Figured it's good preventative maintenance.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bs5zi9cNmn3UnFykZmkhag2BMVYspIdAtrROqEIaJQkyIG8wMRyttLoZdvfave2a