1 2 3 4
a_florida_man
a_florida_man GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/4/23 2:00 p.m.

This car has recently become a topic of discussion with a friend of mine.

His father owns it and he is contemplating who will own it next.

Approximately 40k original miles, original everything for the most part.

275hp Packard V8, 3-speed with overdrive. 

I have always LOVED this body style...

Thoughts, comments, etc?

If you know about these cars, in consideration of what can be (and can't be) seen inn these photographs, what would be a fair price?

It is assumed to be complete and in reasonable condition with no maintenance or activity since 1979. 

I haven't seen it in person ... yet.

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso UltraDork
8/4/23 2:37 p.m.

Cool car.  LS Swap it?

Also - I can't understand storing something that big and bulky in a giant hoard for that long.  Maybe it's just me, but my space at home is very limited.  I spend a lot of time organizing and making sure I have usable space.  

a_florida_man
8/4/23 2:53 p.m.

Hard to say yet about any plans.

As original as it is, I think preservation might be the guiding principle.

The gentleman that owns it has lots of space, and as I understand it, he may have built this space FOR he car.

I hope to have a lot more information at some point.

if odo hasn't rolled, it was driven 42k in 23 years, then parked for 44 years.  it needs everything.  i see at least one cracked window.  i wouldn't pay more than $1000 and that's if i *really* wanted it.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/4/23 3:19 p.m.

Looks like they are going for about $25k to $80k in perfectly restored condition. Now subtract whatever the restoration will cost.

I wouldn't pay more than $1000-$2000 for it. That car needs a lot of restoration. 

a_florida_man
8/4/23 3:20 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

Sitting is never good, that's for sure. 

I agree, a full engine disassembly and inspection, fuel system cleaning, radiator service and a full servicing of the  brake system would be on call for sure.

Tires, exhaust, shocks etc...

Good news is the cracked window is still available new for $65 lol....

a_florida_man
8/4/23 3:23 p.m.

The odometer has not rolled.

It was at 28879 on 7/1966.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
8/4/23 4:07 p.m.

That car needs EVERYTHING. Fair value wouldn't exceed $2,000 in my opinion.

A local shop is just finishing up the station wagon version of that car.   I think they are in over $100K so far, but... it does look sweet.  Same exterior color scheme.

I'm seeing rust.   Wonder how bad it is at the bottom of all those panels and underneath.

The person that will make the most in a deal like that is the one who buys it for $1,000 and sells it the next day for $1,500.

a_florida_man
8/4/23 4:43 p.m.

In reply to Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) :

That's true every  time, right? lol

agree with all of the above.  however, if you're like me and enjoy the build more than the drive, and will do almost everything yourself, then why not throw $1500 at the purchase and another $10k over a couple years to refresh brakes and suspension and engine, then just enjoy having a wacky old car.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
8/4/23 4:59 p.m.

These cars give me a boner. Still lament not being able to get the $800 one with a 392 hemi abd 4 speed i looked at in high school.  

Such neat cars.

a_florida_man
8/4/23 5:10 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

That's how I feel about it. Some think that it fits the definition of a muscle car, 10 years before the GTO. Big Packard engine in a small Studebaker. (352 cu in, 4bbl carb, dual exhaust!)

Faster than a power pack Corvette in '56 with the second highest power to weight ratio of any car in the US in '56.

This car checks boxes with me...

Styling, Unrestored, pillar less Hardtop, Stewart Warner Gauges, original upholstery.

Looking at the pictures I can imagine how paint and upholstery can be cleaned and preserved, but I cant put my hands on it to confirm!

One of 700 or so manual transmission cars, (only 4000 '56 Golden Hawks total).

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/4/23 5:29 p.m.

I'd pay a grand, someone else would pay more but I'm a realist.  I'm not in a position to do so, nor do I need another 50's car project that's been sitting since the 70's. They're so gorgeous though.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
8/4/23 5:30 p.m.

One year car with the best drive train combo they offered. Easy parts availability and enough performance stock to more than keep up with traffic, but not stop until the brakes are upgraded. Superb club support from SDC. Except for the engine, only Mustangs and Camaros have easier parts access. Unless the chassis is rusty this one should be restored, even at a loss. Upgrade the brakes, add A/C and steering power, but keep the drivetrain stock.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
8/4/23 5:33 p.m.

Inspiration....This one arrived near me about 15 years ago with my Ex's SDC chapter...So I haven't seen it in a whilesmiley

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/4/23 5:47 p.m.

It looks humid there. 

a_florida_man
8/4/23 7:33 p.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

You sir, are of my people! I, 100% agree with you. 

I don't know how or why some cars become deserving by just existing, but to me this one is.

Logic , of course, not being applicable or desired.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
8/4/23 7:41 p.m.

I see one of these and it just reminds me what a gorgeous car the '54 Starliner was, and this isn't.

a_florida_man
8/4/23 7:44 p.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

Agreed, the 54 and 55's were the original design, and the best lookng.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
8/4/23 8:19 p.m.

Nice project.  Tart up the stock engine in lieu of LS.  I will follow it for sure.

a_florida_man
8/4/23 8:28 p.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

Agreed. 

Like this?

Packard Carribean factory dual quad intake and cam.

1956 "Day 2" parts counter upgrade. 

310Hp. 

You know, for all of the looks.

759NRNG
759NRNG PowerDork
8/4/23 8:45 p.m.
a_florida_man said:

Hard to say yet about any plans.

As original as it is, I think preservation might be the guiding principle.

The gentleman that owns it has lots of space, and as I understand it, he may have built this space FOR he car.

I hope to have a lot more information at some point.

Are you a prospective player in this scenario? This is so worthy any kind of attention especially from an original aspect....

a_florida_man
8/4/23 8:58 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

Yes, I am in the mix. 

It's all in the very early stages.

My initial interest is in the realm of preservation.

I haven't seen it in person yet, but from what I can see in the pictures, a lot of originality could be preserved with the right paint and upholstery maintenance techniques. 

759NRNG
759NRNG PowerDork
8/4/23 9:06 p.m.

In reply to a_florida_man :

fingers crossed

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SE77bRsHQY0zwDm8StARKnbCOhONppL59CNS9rFrQz0GBZOwZ3pR5AyJJkzTVMG4