1 2 3 4
a_florida_man
a_florida_man GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/4/23 8:43 p.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to a_florida_man :

My gut.  Looking forward to seeing you next week.

...and your gut says?

Looking forward to it too.

Im setting up the tent so I can unbox and set all of the Ford parts out.

glueguy (Forum Supporter)
glueguy (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/4/23 8:45 p.m.

I would use the Hagerty valuation tool. If it's not freely available let me know. I would look at #4 value for current, then at #2 value as to where it could end up. What is the delta, especially considering a paint and mechanical work and parts chasing. Remind them (gently, of course) that the alternative to doing the work is to buy a finished one so the price needs to reflect the work plus to make the effort worthwhile. That's just basic economics. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/4/23 8:51 p.m.

My gut and your's are probably different.  So the process goes kinda like this.  How much do a I want that new cool car thingy someone might sell?  Do I want it more than they want it?  How much time will I have to put into it to get it where I want it?  How much is that time worth to me doing other things?  Is it something that I like cause it's cool but maybe next year it won't be as cool once I've done to it want I want to do to it?  Is there extra value in things that I might like but maybe can sell?  Is there extra value in things that I'd keep?  I'm a Challenge guy.  I start everything at a $2k value and adjust from there as I answer those questions.  

I have questions about the tent.  Is this like the beer tent at the fair?  Ok that's my only question about it.

a_florida_man
a_florida_man GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/4/23 8:57 p.m.

In reply to glueguy (Forum Supporter) :

Thanks 

I use Hagerty (Insurance and Drivers Club)and I have looked at the condition / value scales.

Agree on the rest of the process.

Looking for other databases as well.

Thanks!

a_florida_man
a_florida_man GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/4/23 8:59 p.m.
Stampie said:

My gut and your's are probably different.  So the process goes kinda like this.  How much do a I want that new cool car thingy someone might sell?  Do I want it more than they want it?  How much time will I have to put into it to get it where I want it?  How much is that time worth to me doing other things?  Is it something that I like cause it's cool but maybe next year it won't be as cool once I've done to it want I want to do to it?  Is there extra value in things that I might like but maybe can sell?  Is there extra value in things that I'd keep?  I'm a Challenge guy.  I start everything at a $2k value and adjust from there as I answer those questions.  

I have questions about the tent.  Is this like the beer tent at the fair?  Ok that's my only question about it.

Verbatim on the valuation process.

The tent:

End panels roll-up.

All panels can be removed.

12x20

Pretty durable, I use it with soil anchors.

Burnette
Burnette New Reader
3/17/24 7:53 p.m.

I hope it's okay to respond to this as a newby. 

I just found this discussion while searching for something on '56 Hawks. I'm the "Matt from Stephen Allen's" that "dke" referenced in a previous post. 

What he didn't mention is that we sold him the Sky Hawk (when was that, 2017?). While I hated to see that car get sold, I couldn't have been more thrilled about what he did with it. Taking that car and running the snot out of it around the country for some 25K miles... That's what it's all about. 

"a_florida_man"... The '56 Golden Hawk that your friend's father owns - That's a desirable car in the Studebaker world. There were only a relative handful of '56 Goldens built with the T85 Oversrive transmission. Yes, that car needs everything.. But it's all there and it has a clutch pedal. Not worth a ton of money as it sits, but it's worth restoring. 

If the car does come up for sale and you decide to pass on it, please consider letting me know so I can have a chance at it. And either way, if you have an interest in these cars, reach out and feel free to stop by the shop sometime. We have about two dozen restored Studes here, with a decent spread of the various '53-64 coupe/hardtop/Hawk models. Oh, and a few parts for sale, too. 

My '53 Commander Starliner - Essentially the predecessor to the '56 Golden Hawk  

a_florida_man
3/17/24 9:56 p.m.

Man. I just lost a HUGE post.... 

Sorry, it's late and il not typing all of that again.. but for now lets just say I agree :).

Id love to see your shop, and I'll keep everyone posted here as we wait for "the snow to melt". ( a fact and a figure of speech).

ronsieloff
ronsieloff New Reader
5/28/24 3:23 p.m.

Subject: Hybernating Hawk 1956 studebaker Golden Hawk, Roosting since  '79                                                                                                                                                           I would like to reach  " a _florida_man  about this vehicle or anyone                                                                                                                                                               who has information on this vehicle.  Ron Sieloff   

a_florida_man
5/28/24 3:37 p.m.
ronsieloff said:

Subject: Hybernating Hawk 1956 studebaker Golden Hawk, Roosting since  '79                                                                                                                                                           I would like to reach  " a _florida_man  about this vehicle or anyone                                                                                                                                                               who has information on this vehicle.  Ron Sieloff   

I just sent you a message.

a_florida_man
5/28/24 9:55 p.m.

No Response yet...

Does this read like an AI bot to anyone?

Just curious... new user.... one post.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
5/28/24 10:06 p.m.

Nah, reads like an older gent that isn't used to computers.

It mightve gotten marked as spam by his email.

a_florida_man
5/28/24 10:13 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:

Nah, reads like an older gent that isn't used to computers.

It mightve gotten marked as spam by his email.

Yeah, that's what I thought at first as well... but lately the AI has really been gaining, and I'm just trying to not be the old guy that AI caught up to! :)

If he is legit, I hope he persists. Seems sort of excited and that tends to lead to fun conversations...

a_florida_man
5/29/24 12:16 p.m.

For the record... sent another message.

Nicole Suddard
Nicole Suddard GRM+ Memberand Marketing Coordinator
5/29/24 12:17 p.m.

I believe this is a real reader. An older gent had called the office for help with getting on the forum and getting in touch with you about this thread and I helped him get set up.

a_florida_man
5/29/24 1:25 p.m.
Nicole Suddard said:

I believe this is a real reader. An older gent had called the office for help with getting on the forum and getting in touch with you about this thread and I helped him get set up.

That's good enough for me!

Feel free to send him my contact info directly, or send me his if he likes.

I'll be happy to speak with him off of the forum.

Kevin

Nicole Suddard
Nicole Suddard GRM+ Memberand Marketing Coordinator
5/29/24 1:38 p.m.

Sent you a message :)

a_florida_man
5/29/24 4:06 p.m.
Nicole Suddard said:

Sent you a message :)

Thanks!

I talked with Ron at length... very nice guy.

FJ40Jim
FJ40Jim Reader
5/29/24 9:19 p.m.

There's one of these cars rotting into the earth behind my brother's shop. It has the Packard V8 and a manual trans, but the body doesn't exist below the doors, all the way around. The engine still turns with a breaker bar, so it could be a drivetrain donor for a unique ratrod project.

And now back to your regular programming.

a_florida_man
10/20/24 8:47 p.m.

Checking in with the owner again.

Just to see...you know, before the snow sets in...

Fingers Crossed?

Apexcarver
Apexcarver MegaDork
10/20/24 9:27 p.m.

If it's in New York, and the goal is to get it cleaned up for the old guy to reminisce, you might reach out to this YouTube channel, he might like it for content, seems up his alley. 

https://youtube.com/@ammo-nyc?si=IfGdVmSqccS8Yfgk

Don't know the guy or anything, but would be cool to see him do it. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xuWM2KT6YLpQVbIRkii3Cra355m4e77Q67YQes3CRrqV7aRT3c0UTj0BrOFpPAjV