1 ... 3 4 5 6
MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
12/31/23 4:01 p.m.

Keeping the AMG exhaust tips are a great touch - subtle in a project where not much is subtle.

GrayWolf
GrayWolf New Reader
1/1/24 5:34 p.m.

Let's do the thing 

Kinda sorta something like this 

And go

Good enough for the girls I hang out with 

Couple brackets, little tweaking and gotta weld in the MAP bungs but did the thing 

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/1/24 6:34 p.m.

Digging the fallopian tube intakes! Cant wait to see this thing go! 

golfduke
golfduke Dork
1/2/24 9:10 a.m.

"Good enough for the girls I hang out with" 

Adding that one to the vocabulary, hahaha.  This build is :chefs kiss: 

GrayWolf
GrayWolf New Reader
1/11/24 5:18 p.m.

New fuel tank

Plates

Dual pump things

Turn dual pump things into dual pump thing

Cut holes

Put stuff in holes

Turn into thing

AhBNormal
AhBNormal Reader
2/13/24 12:09 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

You can spell Fallopian!? H/S! You are the max speller of the day, Sir! Much Respect!wink And excellent eye, you must be an artist. Carry on!, I'm still laughing!crying

Turbo_Rev
Turbo_Rev Reader
2/13/24 12:41 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

Extremely breedable HMMWV

GrayWolf
GrayWolf Reader
3/30/24 6:46 p.m.

Man the adulting thing really got in the way of the important things like building this HMMWV

But anyway..

Since the HMMWV is a 24v system and for some reason I decided that since it was something I had never done it would be a good idea to wire the entire truck front to back from scratch.... here we are. 

I used a "Severe Duty" kit which is all sealed so it should be up to snuff

I started with the starter circuit because I wanted to hear the engine make some sound on its own to feed motivation.....which worked

The main power and grounds are what they need to be just need mounting to address tidiness but all the smaller gauge wires are just a best guess since they all need final routing and whatnot. Got it functional and the V12 spins over and happily vomits oil and transmission fluid all over the garage since not of the cooler likes are made yet.

Next line item was mating the Merc coolant hoses to the HMMWV radiator. 

$56 for this fitting, and I had to cut half of it away

Need to make a hose to get the water cooled alternator to join the party and connect the system to the coolant tank and we are ready to rock in that department.

After that i'll get the fuel pumps wired in and get the ECU some power and set the whole thing on fire errr I mean i'll start it.

brandonsmash
brandonsmash GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/30/24 7:19 p.m.

I, for one, cannot wait to see (and hear) video of this monstrosity running.

peanutpckrupper
peanutpckrupper Reader
3/30/24 7:39 p.m.

This is amazing!

Is there a manual transmission option in the variant coding of the M275 ECU? 

GrayWolf
GrayWolf Reader
3/30/24 7:56 p.m.
peanutpckrupper said:

This is amazing!

Is there a manual transmission option in the variant coding of the M275 ECU? 

Not factory but the ECU was coded to think it's set up for manual. And all the keyed security coding and whatnot was turned off.

peanutpckrupper
peanutpckrupper Reader
3/30/24 8:32 p.m.

In reply to GrayWolf :

Hmm. I wonder if it's a simple option box like my me9.7

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/1/24 11:58 a.m.

In reply to peanutpckrupper :

Want to find out?  devil lol

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/1/24 5:29 p.m.

In reply to GrayWolf :

You can buy a bead roller on eBay for like $90 shipped, and make your own hose adaptors from exhaust tubing.

GrayWolf
GrayWolf Reader
4/14/24 3:47 p.m.

The last 10% takes 90% of the time as they say

Wiring for first fire is 89.7645% complete 

Really need to commit to a console design to get my electronics layout.....laid out.

Even though this is the easiest put whatever anywhere because nothing is there vehicle sometimes the fitment doesn't make much sense . I need to add the transmission and oil coolers and didn't want to underbody mount them or bed mount them so this maybe kinda might should work.

Waiting on my order of fittings to finish the oil cooler then all the fluids should remained contained once I try starting this thing. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
4/14/24 3:54 p.m.

In reply to GrayWolf :

That should work a treat.  Are you going to use a belt driven fan or an electric?  A GT500 electric is almost a perfect fit for the radiator and it's not terribly difficult to make mounting tabs to hold it.

Either way the fan will be critical because there is almost no natural airflow through the radiator.  That tall drive over height is a curse for cooling airflow.  On the one I did, it was sort of okay with a belt driven fan, but the GT500 fan and a pair of 12" pushers on top were just barely enough.  I'll see if I can find pics, this was like ten years ago.

GrayWolf
GrayWolf Reader
4/14/24 4:08 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Gonna take a run at making an electric fan keep this pig cool. I ordered the biggest one I figured I could fit on the rad so we'll see how it fairs. 

StilettoSS
StilettoSS New Reader
4/14/24 4:50 p.m.

Awesome project! I'm preach's wife, the one who wants one of these or a duece 1/2. Someday! Maybe when I retire. laugh Can't wait to see more!

Pete. (l33t FS)
4/14/24 5:01 p.m.

And installed

GrayWolf
GrayWolf Reader
4/14/24 5:15 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Very awesome 

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/14/24 9:06 p.m.

Is all of this still being done on the truck and just for fitment, to ultimately go to the "sedan"?

GrayWolf
GrayWolf Reader
4/15/24 5:10 a.m.

In reply to P3PPY :

No this all belongs to the the truck now, there is another set of plans for the other one 

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/15/24 6:57 a.m.

And also, this is so cool-- I'm really impressed with your project! Sometimes I wish I lived near someone like you just to be able to stop by the shop and see how you do things just to glean information on how to do awesome things well. 

metty
metty Reader
4/15/24 8:18 a.m.

man, that is a THICCC stack of coolers... i wonder what the pressure drop is through that assembly?

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
4/15/24 9:01 a.m.
metty said:

man, that is a THICCC stack of coolers... i wonder what the pressure drop is through that assembly?

I'd be more concerned with if the various coolers would be able to do their jobs.  Literally dealing with this problem at work, used to have a remote AC condenser and we moved it to the radiator/intercooler/hydraulic fluid cooler stack and our calculations predicted a jump im air temps of about 25°F upon exit of the condenser and entering the stack.

So we are poking at it and considering reconfiguring.

1 ... 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FJKke6ldO9K5BanKmSfRAFED6YCR25hwPSobZzNGSchoG4vG8wtJiRlwBRcmvMer