1 2
Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
12/5/22 10:00 a.m.

I've been evaluating a new family hauler to take over some duties from Old Blue, our aging 2008 Honda Odyssey w/170k miles.  I considered a wide spectrum of options & price points but ultimately landed on a 2010 Lexus GX460 w/127,000 miles.   Here's the thread I created to ask advice on the purchase & interpret the carfax report.   I've always liked the lexus GX models for their reputation as being comfortable and very durable. I also like the fact it can tow nearly 2x the weight of my mininvan...in hopes I'll be dragging a  200x challenge entry home in 2023.

I test drove a VW atlas, which would have been more expensive, but would have still likely been in-warranty.  I really liked the seats and the way it drove, but SWMBO hated the rear seats.  I was leaning towards a 2017ish Expedition w/~100k miles, but the potential for ecoboost issues gave me heartburn.  Ultimately, I like driving older cars and I figure the Lexus would probably depreciate less and probably drive better over the next 100k miles.  SWMBO has been talking about getting a GX for a loonnnng time, it's somewhat of a dream car for her.  When comparing the gas mileage to a car, it hurts.  When comparing it to our minivan, which gets 22mpg highway...it's actually not that big of a deal.  

Why this early generation GX460? 

• In 2010 lexus switched to a timing chain (the older GX470 had a timing belt). 
  • The 460 also is said to have improved ride quality compared to the older GX470.
  • The 3rd row seats in the 460 fold flat into the floor.  In the older 470 they flip up sideways and take up real estate in the trunk.
  • I like the looks of this specific generation compared to the newer ones. 
  • Fair enough price/mileage ratio.  I'm still paying the COVID tax, but I did benefit from increased prices when I sold my VW Alltrack.

Early ownership impressions

• I like the V8.  It reminds me of the SWMBO's full-size bronco we sold a few years ago.  I realize how much I liked the sound of a V8
  • It's quiet, rides nice and has good forward visibility
  • Lots of interesting technology & features that continue to surprise me. I'm still figuring out where things are.
  • Vented & heated seats are very nice

I don't plan to make this an overland rig any time soon, but there are a few things that I pan on updating.

I've joined a few GX groups on the facetalker app. I'll have to join some good old-fashioned forums to find some more detailed discussions on a few of the things I'd like to change.

Cargo:  I need crossbars so I can fit my Thule Adventurer cargo box on top.  It'll only be up there for long trips.  The factory crossbars are ~$200 and should work fine.  Because the roofrails are flush, instead of raised I'm a little concerned if there's enough room for the bracket to slide underneath the x-bars.  I'll also have to measure the slots to make sure the spacing for the crossbar brackets works with my Thule box. There are cheaper OEM-looking x-bars on Amazon, but for the extra $100 the OEM one (usually made by Thule or Yakima) is probably worth the additional price.  We bought a cheap x-bar set for the  minivan and I don't like how the x-bars sag when fully loaded. 

If I can find a set of used Yakima towers locally I'd prefer to go that route, It'd be nice to have the ability to go w/wider bars where I could potentially fit a bike, surfboard, or even another low-profile box.  Newer Yakima stuff is pretty expensive, even when used, so I'll probably just buy the OEM bars and start watching in case a good deal pops up.

Audio/Navigation:  The navigation looks a bit outdated and is probably missing roads that have been built in the last few years.  It looks like I can buy a new SD-card with updated nav maps from Lexus for $200.  There may be bootleg copies available, but it's probably not worth risking it.  

I'd really like to replace the touch-screen with an android auto system.  I'm not an audiofile, but I'd hate to lose sound quality because I switched out the Lexus head unit for something that's not as good.  Most of the videos I've seen use a giant tesla-like tablet...which I definitely don't want.  I checked crutchfield and they haven't tested compatibility on my GX, which is surprising.  An OEM looking screen that lets me keep my phone hidden and uses better map technology & more advanced voice features would be idea.  

Maintenance: The oil was changed recently.  I have no idea about anything else.  I'll have to do some reasearch to figure out if/when I should be greasing u-joints, transmission, differential, brake fluid, coolant, etc.

Interior: I need to add more 12V charging.  I'd like to add a plug in the center console so the back seat has better access.  I also want to get some leather cleaner/conditioner to keep the leather from cracking.

Tires: There was quite a bit of vibration at 75 mph when I test drove the truck.  It got better on my 2nd test drive w/the wheels rebalanced, but it wasn't quite right.  It got better on my drive home, the tires were probably flat-spotted from sitting.  I would like to replace the goodyear AT tires with a touring tire.  Michelin, etc.  There are are a set of brand new 2021 takeoffs not too far away, but I'm not sure I like the wheel design as much as the ones I have.  

automotiveflux
automotiveflux New Reader
12/5/22 10:12 a.m.

Very clean!

Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/5/22 10:44 a.m.

We have one as well, nice SUV watch for the vally plate leak didn't see if you had that service done in the past or not.  GROM or Vline is your option to update the screen.  I've been on the fence on doing that on ours but never pulled the trigger.  One annoyance if you don't have the 3rd rown completely down it lets out a high pitch beep to let you know.  

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
12/5/22 10:57 a.m.

Congratulations on the ride.  I bought a 22 for Wiffee earlier this year to replace her aging 4Runner.  Thankfully, Lexus didn't move new pricing much and the trade numbers were too good to pass up.

Overall it's just a really comfy place to be.  First roadtrip is this week to Detroit so curious to see if I can get 20mpg out of her on the highway.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UltraDork
12/5/22 1:40 p.m.

Grom VLine is the only oem integration that will give you what you are wanting BUT they are expensive and buggy.  There is a cheaper Carplay only option if you are in the Apple camp.  

The nav sucks and is not worth updating.  Had 2 Toyotas of this era and the nav was always bad.  

The lack of good nav options is a real unfortunateness, because otherwise Toyotas of this area are pretty good vehicles.  

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones SuperDork
12/5/22 7:10 p.m.

I'd figure out an android/Apple way before updating the factory nav. You can't program a new address if it's rolling over 4mph. You know when you need a new address? When you're lost and moving. Want to see if there's gas next exit? Pull over to hit that button. It's way more annoying than you'd think. 

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/5/22 7:16 p.m.

What's the CarPlay option? 

Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
12/5/22 7:42 p.m.

I'd definitely prefer the Android route (unapologetically we'll never be an Apple household).  It's not overly difficult to bring up google maps on my phone to find the nearest gas station or double-check traffic routing periodically...but it'd certainly be much easier on the main screen.  I'll have to keep looking...$800 for the Grom Vline is a bit pricey. 

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/5/22 11:42 p.m.

Btw: we also went from an odyssey to the gx460! 

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UltraDork
12/6/22 1:32 p.m.

https://www.beatsonicusa.com/

These are the other guys doing arguably better than the Grom - not a total system takeover like the Grom system.  

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
12/6/22 2:39 p.m.

From 115k-127k miles everything wore out/broke on my GX470.  I'd be checking the following to see if it's recently been replaced on yours...

Radiator/water pump, alternator, rear air bags, secondary air pump, axles, steering rack.

I'd swap out the diff and transfer case oil every 30k miles.  Grease the driveshafts every 10k unless you're doing a bunch of water crossings, then I'd do it more often.  Transmission fluid is a pain to change, as you basically have to drain/fill, drain/fill since there's not a real fill and drain point to actually drain it all out and then replace it.

Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
2/14/23 12:38 p.m.

Darth Lexus has been cruising along nicely for the last two months.  Aside from some slight vibration at 75 mph everything is just about perfect.  The tires were flatspotted and improved significantly within the first two hours of driving it, but they don't have a ton of tread left, so we'll likely replace them with Michelin touring tires this spring.  I'm on the fence about updating the fluids myself (diff, transfer case, transmission) or just having the mechanic do them.  I'll have to do a bit more research about the possibility of screwing it up.   It rides much more quiet than our Odyssey, especially from the back seats.  The backup camera is kind of useless due the video quality & the fact it's aimed a bit too low.  The rear visibility is much worse than the Odyssey, so it's kind of noticeable.  

The one time I did attempt to use the factory navigation it tried to send me to the wrong location ~10 miles away.  Using the factory navigation was an exercise in futility.  I really liked using android auto in my VW so I bit the bullet and ordered a new Beat-sonic retrofit for the Lexus.  It wasn't cheap ($750!) but being able to use basic phone features using voice controls is worth it.  The system is only recently released & I had to wait over a month for it to ship, but it's finally arrived.  I haven't done the install yet, but people report it's pretty easy & should take <2 hours.  One tip I did receive on one of the GX groups is that you should delete all of the stored phone settings & bluetooth connections before installing the Beatsonic device.  There are people using alibaba large tablets to replace the whole center console...but I prefer the stock appearance & straight-forward install.

I'll report back when it's done.  

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
2/15/23 9:50 a.m.

I've had the Beat Sonic in my Land Cruiser for several months.  It's been good, I'm happy with it

Placemotorsports
2/15/23 10:54 a.m.

Please do, may be a worthly upgrade in our GX460

Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
4/3/23 10:57 p.m.

First oil change done.  Skidplate removal was pretty easy, only 4 bolts...i thought there were 6?!?  Unfortunately, the bolts didn't match.  The front of the skidplate has tabs so it doesn't fall on your head, and to make mounting easier.  They were a little tricky to remove, but next time will be easier.

8 liters of oil!  I used an evacuator and had to stop halfway through because mine only holds 6 liters.

Filter removal was easy, i bought a tool for that. New filter popped in easily.  Way less mess than my odyssey.

Two of the skidplate bolts wouldn't go back in...they'd just spin.  M8 x 1.25.  I cleaned the threads and tapped the hole with my tool and dye set.  The bolts just spun?!?  Luckily, i found two bolts from my old e30 with the same thread that worked perfect.  Phew.

Beatsonic is great.  Install was easy (<1.5 hrs), it works great.  It boots quickly and works nicely.  The program takes over the USB audio channel.  You can switch the screen to climate, etc and back to usb audio for carplay,/android auto.  I'd say it's seemless, except you have to hit the audio button, then "play" to return to carplay/android auto.  I got used to it pretty quickly, so I'd say it works well.

I had an issue with the mic not picking up voice commands.  Beatsonic sent me a firmware update within hours and responded to several emails about USB formatting pretty quickly.  Turns out, the mic plug-in was only half plugged.  User-error.  It took less than 5 minutes to pull the console and fix it.  Phone calls are supposed to route through the lexus system (better quality).  I think mine are. But I've only tested it twice.  I'll report back.  

octavious
octavious Dork
4/4/23 7:06 a.m.

We had a 2011 GX460 for a couple of years. I really liked it, but we had a car payment and we're looking to get rid of it. It's been owned twice since then, but I know the current owner and it is still running well. Only issue we had was when the secondary air pump triggered something and out the GX in limp mode. We came from a 100 series so the GX felt a little smaller but was much nicer. The lifting back glass was a life saver when we couldn't get the rear barn door open. 

Placemotorsports
4/4/23 9:06 a.m.

In reply to Hoondavan :

I find that lifting up the car a bit helps with the front skid plate since the 2 little prongs that it swings down on need a little more clearance to come out. 

Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
4/4/23 1:00 p.m.
Placemotorsports said:

In reply to Hoondavan :

I find that lifting up the car a bit helps with the front skid plate since the 2 little prongs that it swings down on need a little more clearance to come out. 

You're absolutely right.  I parked it at the very edge of my carpark so the front bumper was hanging over my fairly steep driveway.  It created just enough room to get that skidplate off.  A set of ramps would have been helpful, but i had just enough room.

Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
6/8/23 8:32 a.m.

A new issue surfaced w/Darth Lexus this week. Shortly after leaving home the CEL and stability control warnings lit-up. The 4-LO light was also blinking. Googles found a bunch of GX forum posts indicating this was likely an evap error, usually a secondary injection pump. Sometimes the foam filter in the secondary air injection pump can disintegrate and contaminate the system. My basic ODB scanner showed P2420, which is a code for Evaporative Emission System Switching Valve Control Circuit High which is commonly caused by a stuck or failed vent valve.  I do need to double-check battery voltage to make sure a failed alternator didn't trigger electrical gremlins...but all signs point to evap failure of some sort.  I cleared the code, but haven't driven anywhere to see if it resurfaces again.

I checked the foam filter in the secondary injection pump & it looks/feels like new...no degradation. A common upgrade is to replace this foam filter with a generic paper breather valve to avoid potential foam contamination. I'll probably do that eventually.

I'm a little surprised that there's so little information on troubleshooting this code. A 1.5 hour video on troubleshooting the evap system on toyotas...and a bunch of other evap error codes. There's a TSB and extended warranty for 150k miles and 10 years for the evap/SAI system (I'm past the 10 year mark). The TSB instructions give me the impression a more advanced scan tool can determine which valve may be sticking open/shut. I suppose because there's a TSB and extended warranty most people just take it to the dealer, rather than DIY repair.

The Ihatemud forum has a few links to actual repair manuals...but the links seem a little sketchy...and I'm not sure how helpful they'll be if they just direct the tech to scan for faults. Can anyone point me in the direction of troubleshooting guides to see where I may have a valve that's failing? I'd rather not start throwing parts at the problem.

Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
6/8/23 9:18 a.m.

Apparently the service campaign is now open ended with no year or mileage limits for 2010-2013 models. I guess I'll be planning a trip to the dealership (stealership)...which is an hour away.  

EDIT: Service appoitnment & loaner vehicle scheduled for next week.  I did reset the code...so If it doesn't flash again I may need to call them to make sure they'll still fix it.  

https://lexusgxor.com/_media/general...mpaign_jlg.pdf

Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
6/15/23 11:29 a.m.

The Lexus Dealer Experience is a bit nicer than the others I've visited (Honda, VW).  I had to wait a few more days to get an appointment with a loaner, but it's a nice perk...especially when the nearest dealership is 50 minutes away.  Check-in was normal...leave the keys w/the attendant, grab a free coffee when waiting to get checked in.  Lexus also had a small breakfast cafe, where you could choose a free sandwich or actual plate (eggs, meat, potatoes, etc).  There were several coffee options (medium, dark roast, & a few others).   Of course, nothing is "free."  A free breakfast is nothing once you're paying top $$ for maintenance. 

The good news is that I did receive the phone call this morning indicating my car would be repaired under recall/TSB.  They also did an inspection and only recommended a few maintenance items that are typically replaced at 120k miles (I'm at 130k).  I'm a little relieved there weren't any issues discovered. All stuff that's expected & most of which I planned on doing at some point. I'm also a little surprised at how expensive some of these services were...

My memory isn't exact...but the magnitude was a little surprising.

Spark plugs, either $600 or $800

Brake fluid flush $300

Air Filter, $80

Cabin AC filter $200

Front Diff, Rear Diff, Transfer Case fluid change $400

Filters are simple.  I'll test the brake fluid for moisture.  I'll have to see how difficult it is to access the spark plugs.  OEM are $11 each at list-price...so I'm guessing it isn't easy.

I'll have to do a bit more reserach on the diff fluid and transfer case.  I'm also debating if I should do the trans fluid.  I may have my indie mechanic handle that...since a mistake would be catastrophic. It's a sealed "lifetime" system.

It should be done later today, so I'll pick it up either later tonight or tomorrow.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
6/15/23 6:46 p.m.

Diffs/transfer case are easy.  Basically the same as my land cruiser, check out my thread for info.  You don't really flush the trans, you just do a fluid exchange.  Don't let anyone run any cleaner thru it.  It's pretty easy but you need a tool to measure the trans fluid temp so you can properly top it off.  When I get to that mileage, I'll probably let a shop do it.

Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
6/19/23 2:13 p.m.

Darth Lexus came back from the dealership and immediately lit up the christmas tree lights.  Same lights illuminated, same code.  

I got the emailed estimate from the dealership for an $800 charcoal cannister replacement. I haven't talked to the service rep yet, but I presume that's not part of the recall/TSB.  I really should pony-up and buy a repair manual for this thing...there don't seem to be many resources available online.  The part should be ~$400 from the dealer., <$300 from online lexus parts.  Pretty sure i'm committed to the $200 diagnostic fee if I decline the work, so I'll be at $500 if I DIY or $800 for them to do it.   I have seen a few threads about people repairing/clearing their vapor cannister issues...but I'm a bit bummed.

Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
6/19/23 6:22 p.m.

Yikes, I spoke to the service advisor. The estimate was for just about $900, but w/tax it's a little over $1k...but don't worry, he's going to give me a 10% discount.  They're charging $485 for the part, which has a $391 list price at Lexus.  Other dealers are charging $285 online (+ shipping).  He started saying they needed to drop the gas tank to get to the cannister, then said they only need to lower it a bit.  Then corrected himself by saying they need to drop the exhaust.  In actuality, it looks like the spare tire needs to come down, based on the one youtube video I found.

I think I'll be paying them a diagnostic fee and taking this thing home. 

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
6/20/23 9:15 a.m.

Dealer parts prices are outta control, they seem to charge way over msrp.  My local Porsche dealer sometimes charges twice what the internet Porsche dealers charge, same thing with Toyota.  I ordered a right side mirror cover from an online Toyota dealer for less than half what my local dealer wanted for it...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UfdzkLeg3FJR49yluv0rxbTxYWQIYJ4k5A9Qm3AJYOQDemmoQhPN9G9WKeYWrBjz