1 2
Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
6/20/23 10:45 a.m.
docwyte said:

Dealer parts prices are outta control, they seem to charge way over msrp.  My local Porsche dealer sometimes charges twice what the internet Porsche dealers charge, same thing with Toyota.  I ordered a right side mirror cover from an online Toyota dealer for less than half what my local dealer wanted for it...

They did agree to honor the $391 list price on the part, but it still burns me that they assume people wouldn't bother checking.  I don't fit the profile of the average Lexus car owner.  I wouldn't expect them to price-match online prices while the car is already in the service bay.  If I had more $$ I'd gladly pay the extra cost in labor to avoid ordering my own parts & spending the time to do it myself. 

When I dropped it off they said they could valet it home to me, since they missed the diagnosis on the first visit and a dealer visit means 2 hours round-trip driving.  They did say the tech visually confirmed the vapor cannister is the issue, so at least the diagnostic fee isn't just to scan codes...better than loading ammo into the parts cannon. Either way, I declined the service and decided to pay the $200 diagnostic fee.  It sounds like they'll still valet my car home so I don't have to spend another 2 hours in the car.  

Before I buy the OEM vapor cannister online, I'm tempted to buy a new OEM gas cap & see if the code returns.

I did oil changes at my VW dealership while I owned my Alltrack because it was under warranty, they were convenient, and as long as I reviewed the service interval schedule before showing up it was a reasonably good value (and avoiding the $200 cabin air filter replacement).  I stopped going to the Honda dealer when they triple-stacked labor on a timing belt estimate.

Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
6/28/23 1:00 p.m.

The dealer brought my lexus home for me & picked up their loaner, which was a huge time-saver for me.  I filled up their loaner w/2 gallons of gas before they picked it up.  They filled up my GX460 with at least 10-15 gallons before they dropped it off at my house.  That makes the diagnostic fee really more like $150 or $130.  Still some inconvenience of driving back up there after they didn't catch the issue while they did the recall...but I can't argue w/the resolution.

I ordered the new vapor cannister from a Toyota dealer in the northeast...it was ~$270 shipped (no sales tax).  Most ebay  sellers show the same part number for both toyotal 4-runners and Lexus GX460s.  Unfortunately, they didn't actually ship it...they sent an email stating that it my VIN wasn't a toyota vin and that I'd have to pay a restocking fee if I returned it.  The requirement that I send them an email confirming wasn't entirely clear...so I didn't confirm & they didn't ship.  I realized it on Monday and canceled the order.  I did order it from a Wesley Chappel Lexus for $260 shipped.  I should have it in time to replace the cannister over the weekend.  The CEL stayed off for a few days, but resurfaced on Tuesday.  

Another issue did creep up.  One of the rear windows isn't rolling up on it's own.  It seem like it might have become detatched from the window regulator.  I suspect I'll have to remove the door card and use epoxy.  

Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
7/1/23 9:38 p.m.

I replaced the vapor cannister today.  <30 minutes start-to-finish...including learning how to lower the spare.  There's a 3-piece crank to lower the spare.  The charcoal cannister has three hoses and one electrical connector.  3 bolts and a plastic anchor hold it in place.  The dealer wanted +$400 in labor.

I cleared the code and found one new one.  Hopefully the dealer diagnosis was correct.  I didn't test drive it yet.  I have a cheap ODB bluetooth plug.  It's pretty basic.  I'm thinking about buying something better...open to recommendations.  I saw one for $200 used by a popular youtuber...but need to do some homework.  Let me know if you have any recommendations.

I did grease all the zerks on the slip yoke and the u bolts.  I couldn't spin the driveshaft in neutral, but moving forward a few inches allowed access.

Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
7/14/23 8:59 p.m.

I've driven +500 miles and the codes haven't returned.  It seems like the vapor cannister was the culprit.  

Beatsonic Experience:

I'm frustrated & SWMBO has directed me to remove it from the car & throw it away repeatedly.  I love the function of android auto, prime music & the interface functions.  I'm the driver on family outings & roadtrips, so having google maps, voice commands, & streaming music/podcasts without looking at my phone is great.   Unfortunately, phone call quality is terrible & after multiple rounds troubleshooting w/Beatsonic, still no progress.  Phonecalls were supposed to route through the Lexus interface, not andoir auto...but they kepe going to Android w/lots of latency & echo.  They've been very quick to respond & send software patches, but the instructions assume I'm a superuser...so multiple emails are required...and the issue is still not resolved.  I have one more attempt in me before i plead for a refund or try to sell this thing.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/14/23 9:30 p.m.

I hear all these chinese radios are garbage. Been looking at one for my e46 but everyone complains about the voice/call quality. I decided to stick with the factory radio and add on an aftermarket piece that a forum member came up with. So its not you. 

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
7/15/23 5:49 p.m.

Yep, you *need* the hands free phone to go thru the Lexus/Toyota interface.  I've got a BeatSonic in my Land Cruiser and initially I was having all sorts of weird issues with the CarPlay trying to grab the call and I'd have to manually swap it to the Toyota interface and CarPlay would grab it again.  Beat Sonic were great and it turned out that all I needed to do was properly Rename the toyota bluetooth as "Land Cruiser".  Ever since then it's been perfect...

Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
7/16/23 3:32 p.m.

I think Beatsonic was developed & shipped form the US.  I get the sense it's a pretty small business.  The module is made in korea.  

The Beatsonic module bricked itself while I was trying to update the firmware.  I'm sending them the box back so they can update/reprogram it.  The bluetooth settings are weird...I'd manually try to switch the settings in my phone and the toggle switch on my phone settings would switch right back.  They've responded to just about every email immediately, even on weekends/holidays....but their instructions also are written like the user is an expert.  

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
7/17/23 9:58 a.m.

I bought mine because of their support, which has been phenomenal.  I know its frustrating for you but they'll take care of you, even if it's to refund you if that's what you want...

onemanarmy
onemanarmy Reader
7/17/23 10:36 a.m.

Wouldn't it be so cool if automakers would quit trying to be so hip and fancy with these complex and fully integrated with everything radios?!

automakers......Just put a double din radio in the dash for $150 and call it good

when it comes time for the end user to upgrade, all we have to do is yank out the old radio and install a new one with new features.   A $200 job.

why do they make it so complicated?

Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
7/17/23 10:07 p.m.

In reply to onemanarmy :

It's surprising how simple it is to swap a double-DIN screen in some cars while others are way more complicated.  The nice thing about my VW Alltrack was that it still had manual controls for everything.  

Beatsonic has been extremely responsive...which is also the reason why I didn't even consider some of the Alibaba knockoff systems.  I sincerely hope I can get it sorted out.

SWMBO & the kid were both out of town this weekend so I spent a bit of time on 'Ol blue: My '08 Honda Odyssey w/179k miles.  My mechanic swapped the rear motor mount in December but couldn't get parts to do the other mounts in time for a road trip.  I would have paid him to do all of them if the parts were available.  I swapped the passenger-side mount a few months ago and it was annoying, but pretty easy.  I finally tackled the front mount on Saturday.  It sucked.  Radiator fans had to be removed...and there were a lot of 10mm bolts that you could only access by feel.  and lots of metal edges to knick your fingers.  It was a struggle, but I finished it in ~2 hours.  I did waste a bit of time because a DIY writeup I read on the Honda Forum indicated you could leave the radiator fans in and remove the mount by removing the battery box.  I spent 20 mintutes removing the battery box until I realized there was not way to remove enough of the box to allow access.  

I'm buying a motorized rathchet...That would have made things much easier.

~2 years ago I was replacing rollers on the passenger side sliding door when it started to rain.  I forgot to disable the door motor and accidently knocked the door handle while manually closing the door...which wound up getting the cable bound & stuck in the motor.  For ~2 years the rear passenger side door has been inoperable.  I finally tore everything apart and took the motor out.  Unfortunately, I mangled the cables were kinked and spool that the cables reel into was trashed...so instead of just replacing cables I bought a used assembly on ebay for $130.  Hopefully I have it fixed before SWBO gets home this weekend. 

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/15/23 5:02 p.m.

Was watching this channel and thought of this thread:

GX460 - Episode 1

GX460 - Episode 2

GX460 - Episode 3

Hoondavan
Hoondavan Dork
10/16/23 9:35 a.m.

In reply to Slippery :

When I decided to buy this GX460 I was actually leaning towards an older gx470.  Aside from switching from a timing belt to a chain there's a lot of similarities.  Some say the 460 has a more refined drive.

I finally installed the updated Beatsonic unit & phone calls are working better.   I dragged my feet on shipping it to beatsonic...once I finally shipped it they returned it to me within a few business days.  There's a lexus function that automatically updates the microphone settings.  That function still doesn't seem to be working, but there's a note on the screen w/recommended settings, which I used.  I still need to hook up SWMBOs phone, ultimately she's the one who uses it daily...& will determine if it's acceptable.  I really like long drives w/android auto. Having the split screen w/google maps & audio is great.  I find it much less distracting than a phone on a mount.  

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/31/23 2:45 p.m.

I've been dark on the forum for a bit, but really nice to see someone else went with nearly the same thought process I did.

I bought a 2013 GX460 Premium over the weekend with 176k on it. But it's had damn near every maintenance item fixed over the years, including the leaking front timing cover, and the coolant valley plate issue, both addressed under the previous owners. I would keep an eye on those for your truck if they haven't creeped up yet.

Driver seat on mine is in worse shape than yours, but everything else was awesome on the truck, so I went for it.

SWMBO GF and I have no interest in creating and raising mini humans, so the fact it also came with the dual rear entertainment is pretty amusing to us.

Hope your truck is done with giving you issues!

Hoondavan
Hoondavan Dork
11/1/23 10:12 a.m.

In reply to spacecadet (Forum Supporter) :

Nice!  Valley leak is a big repair that seems fairly common.  Sounds like you bought one that's well-sorted.  It's reassuring to buy a truck that's been mostly unchanged for +10 years.  Especially when you see so many w/+200k miles.

Other than a bad TPS sensor, it's had no issues since.  I checked all tires (including the spare)...and it's still alerting like there's a sensor error.  I'll live with it until I get new tires. 

I don't think I've ever had TPS sensors that actually work.  Both minivans had a sensor fail after new tires.  My VW Alltrack didn't have sensors, it measured wheel speed.  I calibrated it and when one of my tires was down to sub-10 lbs it didn't alert me.  PO of my E91 didn't use sensors.

With the GX, I suggest you & your better-half get familiar w/the buttons (diff lock, 4-lo, etc, hill descent assist).  Even a year later SWMBO will sometimes say "there's a weird light on" because she accidently hit one of the switches.  

11/27/23 5:25 p.m.

In reply to Hoondavan :

I'll have to run SWMBO through all the buttons and lights at some point.

I at least have coached her to call me the moment the check engine light comes on with her camry, and to use the code reader I bought her to give me the code.

thing kept throwing CEL codes when I was out of town, the rear O2 sensor doesn't like getting wet.

I've been driving the GX for a month now and it's an absolutely fantastic.

Might be heracy to some folks here, but I have a warranty on the powertrain, and I didn't love the way the truck was picking up at low speeds, so I sent it back to the Lexus dealer I bought it from and they opted to do a carbon service on the motor at their cost and then revisit the issue if it persists down the road.

I'm seriously impressed with how the truck drives.

Hoondavan
Hoondavan Dork
1/8/24 12:22 a.m.

Darth Lexus keeps trucking along.  I changed the oil last week & spent some time with my son washing & adding a ceramic spray.  On highway trips I'm seeing 18-20 mpgs. 

Beatsonic is working better, audio calls are finally working like they should.  SWMBO was having fits because it kept automatically connecting to her phone, an issue that is easily fixed on my Samsung, but seems buggy on her Google Pixel phone.  It should be easy enough to delete the wireless connection so she only gets android auto through the plug.

My son drove it to school for a few weeks while his vehicle was down for repair.  He prefers driving his our '08 Honda Odyssey, but the valve cover gasket started leaking on the exhaust & making smoke.  He commented about how much better the stereo in the Lexus was (Facts!).  This gave me a good idea for a christmas present.  after replacing the cover gaskets I installed his christmas present...a 10" sub and an amp.  Nothing crazy, but enough that it sounds good enough for a broke teenager.  

Hoondavan
Hoondavan Dork
5/20/24 9:27 a.m.

Darth Lexus has always had a bit of vibration at highway speeds.  Just enough to be annoying, but we drive it on the highway infrequently enough to actually get me to do anything about it.  I had it on jackstands last week & couldn't find any bad bushings or obvious issues.  I've always assumed the tires (slightly oversized) had flat-spotted a bit from sitting before we bought it.  They're only 3 years old...but I think the truck did sit a few months between another dealership, wholesale, and eventual purchase.  I did notice that w/both front wheels in the air both front wheels would move ~1-2 degrees (equally) if you try to turn them w/your hand.  I didn't think to lock the steering wheel...no idea if this is normal.  The vibration does seem a bit variable, which makes me think it might not be tires.  Alternatively, I rotated the tires and the vibration seemed to get worse.  I was about to buy tires...but will probably just take it to my indie mechanic before spending anything. 

SWMBO drove a 2014 outback the other day & asked me to go find her one....so I may be selling the GX soon.  Unfortunately, I'll likely need to spend some time and $ before I can sell it.

Unfortunately, while I was under there I noticed coolant residue and a few drips of collant by the transfer case.  This is the telltale sign of the dreaded valley-plate leak. This is seems pretty common at 130k miles.  I haven't run a scope to confirm, but I'm planning to order parts today & plan to address it soon.  From what I can gather, dealerships bill north of 6-8 hours for the repair.  It's not difficult, but it's a pain.

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/20/24 9:31 p.m.

Check the inner/outer tie rods for the highway vibration. I changed front struts/springs/strut bearings/end links on the front end of our Saab, but the tie rod replacement made the biggest difference. If you can grab them and easily twist them, they're probably shot.

5/24/24 2:34 p.m.

Wishing you all the best with the reseal of the valley plate!

If you're thinking about selling, that's the time to do it, right after you reseal it.

Hoondavan
Hoondavan Dork
5/24/24 3:32 p.m.
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) said:

Wishing you all the best with the reseal of the valley plate!

If you're thinking about selling, that's the time to do it, right after you reseal it.

I was at my indie mechanic today to pick up my mininvan and asked him about it.  I think he said 550 or so in labor + some seals.  If I can swing the $$ in the next month or so,  I'll pay them to do the work.  Once it's fixed and the high-speed shimmy is address we may sell it.  I like the truck, but if SWMBO doesn't love it...we don't need it.  

Hoondavan 2.0 ('08 Odyssey) started making a bad noise while I was out of town last week.  Harmonic balancer failed, $500 w/the other time spent inspecting.  Luckily, they did do a thorough inspection and confirmed nothing else is broken...just tired bushings otherwise.  They also tested the oil pressure to confirm the blinking oil light is due to the pressure being juusssttt below threshold pressure at idle. They didn't think it was worth dropping the oil pan for further inspection.   The pan was replaced a few years ago...so they may have used too much RTV, or there's a washer on the oil pickup tube that can start to fail, lettting air into the system. It's got 190k miles.  I did shocks/struts, but it's probably time for tie-rods (again) and control arms.

5/24/24 11:28 p.m.

In reply to Hoondavan :

i still adore my GX460 and I came into it knowing I might need a trans someday and bought mine with higher miles with the valley plate and timing cover having both been resealed already.

I complained about a vibration when I dropped mine off at the dealer 3 weeks ago to get the diffs and transfer case exchanged because I don't have the space to do it myself.

Lexus took my complaints about transmission shudder to mean that they should put in new motor and trans mounts under warranty.

over this past weekend driving cross country I had the trans pop a P2417 code.

Dropped it at a midwest Lexus dealer and took their loaner car for the week. They're putting a new solenoid in it because there's no major debris in the trans pan.

Motor(x2) Trans mount was $3200 paid for by lexus. The solenoid was $2200 for diag and install. All of it paid for by my powertrain warranty that Lexus sold me.

They're awesome vehicles, but stuff adds up fast. SWMBO in my life adores my GX as a passenger princess and doesn't want it to go anywhere, so I have pretty Carte Blanche approval from her to keep it on the roadm but if your SWMBO isn't over the moon for it, and you aren't either.. move on.

Hoondavan
Hoondavan Dork
10/4/24 5:30 p.m.

Shortly after my last post I took Darth Lexus into my local tire shop.  The tires were way out of balance.  I also had an alignment done & it was been driving like new since.  Multiple ~4 to 6 hour road trips across FL in luxury. SWMBO  drove it from FL to MD & had a shop there tell here there were no signs of a coolant leak, & it hadn't lost any fluid in months.  She got back home last week I could still see some residue on the bellhousing but nothing wet. 

SWMBO had posted it for sale in MD and I was surprised there wasn't much interest other than lowball offers.  There seem to be a lot more GXs available & comparable trucks are priced lower in MD than FL.   Once she got back home she reposted it had a fair amount of interest & it sold yesterday for asking price to an informed buyer.  I showed him the valley plate residue, he also planned to replace the starter as a preventative measure (both are in the valley).  The guy is planning on a lift & tires.  I regret selling it a little, but it's found a good home.  

SWMBO has started sending me links to Outbacks.  We're aiming to spend ~$6k to $8k.  Likely 2012 to 2014 or so....I'll have to do a bit of research, I know the ealier CVTs weren't that durable.  I started a Learn me thread.

Odd note my Odyssey (Hoondavan 2.0):  The oil light hasn't come on since it was in the shop for the harmonic balancer.  They did hook up a digial gauge & confirm good pressure while driving.  Maybe the sensor was fouled by oil?  I don't know...but it's been rock-solid.  I did replace both outer tie rods & one inner. 

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/6/24 8:20 p.m.

Not sure how I haven't kept up with this thread, but congrats on the sale. 
we crossed over 200k miles in our 2013 this week. 
we have occasionally gotten the canister related error, but only on cool mornings. We're in Palm Beach county so haven't had that happen since March or so. I may replace the canister. 
Our's has never been really quiet and I've often suspected a slightly out sunroof. But it's been leak free and I haven't torn into it. 
It's a comfy truckster but I wish you didn't have to stab the gas pedal to get it to lumber from stop- that needs reprogramming. 
Ours has been paid off for quite a while so it's going to do lazy duty till kids start driving next year. 

Hoondavan
Hoondavan Dork
10/6/24 8:39 p.m.
grover said:

Not sure how I haven't kept up with this thread, but congrats on the sale. 
we crossed over 200k miles in our 2013 this week. 
we have occasionally gotten the canister related error, but only on cool mornings. We're in Palm Beach county so haven't had that happen since March or so. I may replace the canister. 
Our's has never been really quiet and I've often suspected a slightly out sunroof. But it's been leak free and I haven't torn into it. 
It's a comfy truckster but I wish you didn't have to stab the gas pedal to get it to lumber from stop- that needs reprogramming. 
Ours has been paid off for quite a while so it's going to do lazy duty till kids start driving next year. 

Beatsonic (along with a number of other companies) make a pedal commander that makes the throttle more responsive. It never bothered me enough to do anything about it.  SWMBO has a heavy foot around town, so I don't think she needed any help accelerating.  I did read somewhere that you're regularly supposed to use silicon spray on the rubber seals, it's supposed to help w/wind noise.  I'd 100% buy another GX if I needed an SUV again. 

The vapor cannister was extremely easy.  I spent more time learning how to drop the spare tire.  Worth noting (if you didn't see it earlier in the thread), the early 460s have a lifetime recall on the secondary air injection pump.  The foam filter disintegrates & cloggs up the system. You can proactively replace the foam yourself (very easy), or convert to an aftermarket cone-type filter on the air injection system.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DDGEJLy1WLpMyRbkVvgdiM5vlQO6O0bOcJwFuBJtAD8l6NXggyao2Pv3GPByPndq