1 2 3
oldrotarydriver
oldrotarydriver New Reader
6/19/17 3:25 p.m.

I've done so, way back in the days of the first ultralights and before Part 103. The aircraft was a Maxair Hummer; a V-tailed Xenoah G25 powered piece of irrigation pipe, which witnesses said looked like a witch on a broomstick in-flight. Got maybe 40 hours of time on it, too many military moves and a crash put paid to my confidence in it.

The fuselage still resides in my backyard. I could probably get it airworthy again, but with literally nowhere to go (the Washington DC restricted zone starts 5 miles west of here), it's not been on my plate of projects.

No, I won't sell any of it. I'd be liable for the next three lifetimes for any mistakes someone else dies from, regardless of if it was actually caused by something I put together.

Edit: Found a picture of the bird. Not my airframe, but same series.

karplus2
karplus2 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/19/17 5:32 p.m.

My Grandpa built a plane in his garage when I was young. I remember sitting in it as a 3-4 year old. Most of my earliest memories are with my Grandpa. He was very close to being done when he sold it. I never did ask him why he sold it. The two guys who bought it from him finished it and flew it all the time. They crashed it but apparently it wasn't too bad since they were able to fix it and keep flying it. It did make my Grandpa very happy that the plane ended up being used and not just sitting in a hanger/garage somewhere waiting to be completed.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jtq00AWLfWaNWrPKxJ0O5UdR8VgoKflSjCMPyKzDVEg8lSCuIswmx3T5N7RHX5Pz