TommyWants
TommyWants New Reader
6/2/20 8:05 p.m.

So I've got a 2002 2500hd 2wd my dad gave me a couple years ago. I've since bought a newer daily and the Silverado is... Rough. Mechanically it is fairly solid and everything bad is on the easy end of fixable but the body is rusted and dented to hell. So I've got to figure out what to do with it. I know the short answer is take the drivetrain and scrap the rest but I've been trying to think of a decent body to put on it. I was thinking shorten the frame and put an old Willys wagon or 50s suburban body or similar on it and make a nice daily reliable cruiser but I'm curious if you guys have any better ideas? 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/2/20 8:54 p.m.

What do you want to end up with?

How hard do you want to work, and how much time and money do you have available?

I'll try to answer. I have an 88 C2500 with about 400k miles on it. Zero rust, since it's from Eastern California, then West Texas, and is now in Florida.

A modern drivetrain would be nice. 

759NRNG (Forum Partidario)
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) UltraDork
6/2/20 9:06 p.m.

I like the 50's suburban path or perhaps a mid sixties 'burb' mashup.....your pallet awaits you

former520
former520 HalfDork
6/2/20 9:17 p.m.

The answer is always Miata.  Slap a body on top and go drifting.

Is it a 4x4 donor?  Maybe make a trail rig?

TommyWants
TommyWants New Reader
6/2/20 9:29 p.m.

It's 2wd. I don't mind the work, it's a long term project plan now that I can see the light at the end of the tunnel on my home remodel. Shouldn't be more work than that was and should be more enjoyable work at that. I was also thinking old 30s sedan, fill fenders and all. But I'm not sure I could get it low enough on the hd chassis. But an old suburban or similar would be cool to tow my 50s boat.  I want to end up with a fun, drive anywhere cruiser of some sort and I'm partial to something, say, 60s or older?

I make decent money and will be able to spend on this stuff once I finish the remodel. That should hopefully be done this summer.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TFXSxTLwFG7Ck3DVaQy9EM9WJ1kcvTzvXa3T3SG2vocTlw10s0RAaSirn8fnHPd2