1 2 3 4
singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
7/23/23 3:04 p.m.

This is fantastic, I look forward to watching this one.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/23/23 3:32 p.m.

In reply to chris_white :

painters tape notes FTW

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/23/23 3:46 p.m.

Very inspiring. You seem to build to a high standard, so it would be a difficult task to convince us you are a serious newbie. Keep it up! 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/23/23 5:28 p.m.

fouckhest
fouckhest New Reader
7/23/23 6:27 p.m.

In for more of this, love it

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso UltraDork
7/23/23 9:03 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

Even the garage looks similar to yours. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/23/23 9:11 p.m.

AC are you sure you don't have an unknown kid?

Kendall Frederick
Kendall Frederick GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/23/23 9:13 p.m.

This is going to be awesome!  Are you using somebody like SendCutSend for the bracketry?  Some nice looking pieces on the rear suspension.  

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/23/23 9:14 p.m.

In reply to chris_white :

I looked at this picture more and noticed the jacks/jack stands.  Then I saw the concrete blocks.  Do not trust concrete blocks.  I speak from experience.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
7/23/23 9:56 p.m.

Is that car being held up by a jack under the left rear TIRE??

I hope not. That's terrible idea. 

captainawesome
captainawesome Dork
7/23/23 10:03 p.m.

In reply to SV reX :

I think that is to hold the wheels in the fender for mockup purposes.

chris_white
chris_white New Reader
7/23/23 10:27 p.m.

So a little work on the front crossmember this weekend.  It's probably 85% of the way there - needs final welding and real tabs & gussets for the lower A-arms.  It's not exactly where I want it, but I think that this will be version #1 for now.

Wood frame below represents where I think that the fuel cell will go - it's offset from center to (hopefully) squeeze the steering shaft in there.  It's an approximate size for a 12gal. 

Regarding some of the questions: (1) Yes, it's on cinderblocks capped with wood.  Agreed that it's not the best - I supplement with jack stands when I'm under there but I should build some cribbing.  (2) Yes, the jacks under the wheels are just for positioning.  (that motorcycle jack under the front tire is something I should have bought ages ago - it's perfect for this).  (3) I think that my garage looks fine...  :P

Also did more research on steering rack.  The best I can figure I'll be sending Flaming River a bunch of money for a custom rack.  I'm looking at 20" a the inner pivots - not many options out there.  Maybe could modify one - not sure that I want to take that chance.  We'll see...

obsolete
obsolete Dork
7/23/23 11:28 p.m.
chris_white said:

Also did more research on steering rack.  The best I can figure I'll be sending Flaming River a bunch of money for a custom rack.  I'm looking at 20" a the inner pivots - not many options out there.  Maybe could modify one - not sure that I want to take that chance.  We'll see...

I was in the same situation a year or so ago, converting my Conquest from steering box to rack. Its inner control arm bushing spacing is roughly 20 inches. I ended up using an 80s VW Rabbit rack that's 22" between pivots, and by playing with the height of the rack, I was able to get less bump steer than factory. That was the narrowest factory rack I could find for "rear steer" (steering arms on the rear of the spindles). If yours are set up that way, then that one may work for you. They're pretty cheap and widely available. The mounting is kind of weird, though, since on the VWs they're mounted on the firewall.

If the Corvair is front steer, then maybe a 944 rack would work. I think it's the same width.

Also, check out the Cavalier/Intrepid/CRV "center pivot" racks. If you have room to mount one (and with no engine up front, it seems like you should), you can build a bar to bolt to the rack to mount the inner tie rod pivots at whatever width you need.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/23/23 11:30 p.m.

Awesome project, looking forward to seeing how it progresses. Please ditch the cinderblocks asap! With the way you have them loaded in that last picture, you are just waiting for a catastrophic failure. 

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
7/24/23 7:04 a.m.

That's not a shoulder bolt for a rear suspension bell crank pivot is it?  Other than that it looks amazing.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
7/24/23 7:15 a.m.
akylekoz said:

That's not a shoulder bolt for a rear suspension bell crank pivot is it?  Other than that it looks amazing.

Can you educate me on my that would be a bad thing? It seems like a shoulder Bolt would be a perfect point for a bearing to ride on to make a pivot.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
7/24/23 9:17 a.m.

Absolutely following this. I grew up around PHA half a century ago. Big fun, but some of the hills are kinda bumpy, like Weatherly. With that in mind I would consider more shock travel than you have now in the rear. The premise here is awesome, and help with execution tied with an amazing range of expertise is at hand on this forum. Hell, if you're near Easton there is more than advise.

chris_white
chris_white New Reader
7/24/23 10:33 a.m.

In reply to akylekoz :

Yup - that's a 1/2" x 2-1/2" Grade8 shoulder bolt.  The plan is to actually extend that a bit so that it can be supported on the outside as well - kinda cage it in.  Just another thing to circle back to...

chris_white
chris_white New Reader
7/24/23 10:44 a.m.

In reply to obsolete :

Thanks so much - I really appreciate that.  My vertical spacing is pretty restricted - sandwiched between the lower control arm (which is as low as I dare go) and the stock corvair 'frame' - I'm going to be really close to that 20" mark.  I can probably go front or rear mounted, with the primary clearance issue being getting around the the eventual fuel cell. 

I'll do some more research.  Again, absolutely appreciate you taking the time to share.

--chris

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Dork
7/24/23 10:59 a.m.

Shoulder bolts run a pretty small thread. They are great for bearings with low loads. I don't think suspension falls into that category. Put it in double shear on the shoulder diameter so the threaded portion is only there to keep it from falling out.

Regarding steering racks, take a look at the Smart ForTwo racks. The seem to make the Rabbit rack look big.

Edit for photo stolen from fleabay

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
7/24/23 11:13 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

See Matthewmcl's response.   Not sure about the maths here but that pivot will quit a bit of load on it especially under compression of the suspension.

Also I just zero in on those things due to them being improperly used at work and constantly failing.  I try to use them recessed in to a reamed hole and or in double shear.  The undercut thread combined with a very small shoulder to tighten against usually just snaps off at the thread or the surface that the shoulder is tightened against fails if it isn't hardened steel.

Shoulder bolts are a few thousands undersized also and have a bit of slop, not a  problem here while under constant load.  

chris_white,  Keep up the amazing work!  Not here to criticize at all, just want to keep us all safe.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
7/24/23 12:42 p.m.

I have an X1/9 rack on the shelf. I'll measure it this evening and report back. It is short...

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
7/24/23 11:12 p.m.

If you are making it rear steer the Fiat X1/9 rack is a little under 20". I didn't take the boots off, but if you want a closer look it is here. I don't want to sell this one, but there are quite a few around. If you plan a lot of street driving or autocross I would do rear steer. For a fast (over 60MPH just about everywhere) track car I would design front steer. At high speeds the increased slip angle and loading overcome the ackerman zero scrub advantage of rear steer. 

chris_white
chris_white New Reader
7/25/23 8:50 p.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

Thanks again - this gives me a bunch to think about & research.

I should have started posting on here and reading these threads a long time ago... uggg

Great stuff. 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/25/23 9:26 p.m.
chris_white said:

In reply to TurnerX19 :

Thanks again - this gives me a bunch to think about & research.

I should have started posting on here and reading these threads a long time ago... uggg

Great stuff. 

the GRM forum members' combination of vast knowledge, hands-on experience, and Corvair love, is unparalleled in all of the internet. You are definitely in the right place now. :-)

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
T3XxnkPZRPpEzwyg0N0EVBithPjRckOFbsh3IN6gCW5WdbtEgbISNPiZgKzt8mFk