914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
2/7/21 7:52 a.m.

Me, sitting in my 3/2 suburban home, one car garage already filled beyond capacity:

That's pretty impressive. There are a lot of hours in that.

secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/7/21 9:00 a.m.

It'll still burn the E36 M3 out of your hand on a hot, sunny day. I guess if you put that much effort into it you'll yell "My shifter is awesome!" instead of " What moron made my shifter from metal!" laugh

It is neat though...

Edit:  Just watched the entire video and realized it isn't a shifter knob.  Apparently I'm the knob... laugh

orthoxstice
orthoxstice New Reader
2/7/21 11:17 a.m.

I've been following this guy for years now, he's truly the best of the "fix old broken object" genre on YouTube 

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) UberDork
2/7/21 11:32 a.m.

Very cool.

Metal shifters are also viciously cold in winter. 

Canada.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
2/9/21 9:50 a.m.

Not to Flounder, but why wouldn't that work with a dark wood like Black Locust or that purple stuff from Kenya, with an oak center around the 8?

TVR Scott (Forum Supporter)
TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/9/21 2:20 p.m.

Very cool.  I love the two-tone from the SS and Brass combination.

I liked his angled fly-cutter set-up.  I was wondering how he was going to get the super round profile.

damarble
damarble New Reader
2/9/21 3:51 p.m.
914Driver said:

Not to Flounder, but why wouldn't that work with a dark wood like Black Locust or that purple stuff from Kenya, with an oak center around the 8?

I imagine it would work? I have an uncle that builds custom furniture and he likes to use different species for contrast, comes out beautifully.

And here I thought I had a cool idea to use a ball of Shungite. 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
2/9/21 4:14 p.m.
914Driver said:

It will. Cocobolo would also be a good choice if it was epoxy filled. 

Image result for wood epoxy shift knob

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zZ7Uk9r60qaSAQRb06jAFHRuAzKK5YbQmJsuTL9C4V6ep8unRMEeuAcVEaiPMEyT