1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 107
mazdeuce
mazdeuce UberDork
9/12/13 2:18 p.m.

Vigo got ahold of me and said that he wants k-car parts. Awesome. No matter what happened, the garage wouldn't be done until the matter of the k-car was settled. It has been a fixture in the garage for a decade.
So today I pulled the rear from the k-car that has the super awesome big brakes on it.
I rolled it into the garage and put the old drum brake rear back on. Sometimes it works out to keep old junk. I also found a set of front hubs so I can pull off the good front hubs that have the super awesome big front brakes on them. Once all of the good bits have left then the car will be sent off to be smushed life will be better.

Powar
Powar Dork
9/12/13 2:42 p.m.

Is that a Range Rover Classic hiding in the background?

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UberDork
9/12/13 3:01 p.m.

It was a Range Rover Classic. Now it's a pile of rust and some aluminum that vaguely resembles a Range Rover classic. It ceased being a vehicle years ago. It is my reminder not to let cars sit, or they will die.

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/12/13 3:27 p.m.

Very good cleanup. Love it. I was doing my own mini version of this in my garage sorting through all the various junk I've piled up on shelves. Quite a variety of Miata randomness.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UberDork
10/10/13 4:43 p.m.

Talking to my wife the other night about spending money on cars and such. She mentions that it's a bit crazy but no crazier than her coworker who is remodeling his kitchen that only 12 years old. New appliances and everything.
Did you say new appliances?
Yes.....
What is he doing with his old oven?
I don't know, why?
And that is how I'm scoring a wall mount electric oven for powder coating in the garage for free. And yes, it's nicer than the one in our house. I pick it up as soon as they tear it out. Sweet.

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
10/11/13 8:39 a.m.
mazdeuce wrote: Talking to my wife the other night about spending money on cars and such. She mentions that it's a bit crazy but no crazier than her coworker who is remodeling his kitchen that only 12 years old. New appliances and everything. Did you say new appliances? Yes..... What is he doing with his old oven? I don't know, why? And that is how I'm scoring a wall mount electric oven for powder coating in the garage for free. And yes, it's nicer than the one in our house. I pick it up as soon as they tear it out. Sweet.

Very sweet, but why not earn some brownie points and put the "new" one in the house and the old one in the garage? Assuming easy install and removal.

jpnovak
jpnovak Reader
10/11/13 8:56 a.m.

Get the "beer fridge" while you are at it. Old diswashers make good parts cleaners too.

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
10/11/13 9:44 a.m.
jpnovak wrote: Get the "beer fridge" while you are at it. Old diswashers make good parts cleaners too.

No, not a beer fridge... Get a kegerator

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UberDork
10/11/13 9:51 a.m.

The oven won't fit in my kitchen without a complete remodel, and it's not that nice an oven. As far as the fridge, the one currently in the kitchen is going to the garage as soon as the new roof is on. My wife has wanted a new fridge for over a year but I keep putting it off because it will be in the way when I'm building. If I can get through this without my wife smothering me in my sleep, it will be a major accomplishment.

Vigo
Vigo UberDork
10/11/13 12:58 p.m.

I just wanted to say that that range rover is AMAZING. It blew my mind. It is the greatest monument to the hazards of decay that i have ever seen.

Don't feel too bad about his scrap Aries. If/when mine ever gets back into shape, Mazdeuce will have free access to it if nostalgia ever strikes.

I was about to put a rebuilt motor/trans into it but then someone gave me the bright idea to put it in a DIFFERENT k-car and take that to the challenge, so.. maybe later.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
10/11/13 1:04 p.m.

See if you cant get a couple cabinets too...I was able to score 2 upper double cabinets recently, and they made a huge difference in the amount and accessibility of my garage storage.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UberDork
11/11/13 2:23 p.m.

Hurricane season is officially over and work has started again. Time to remove the old.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi SuperDork
11/20/13 5:42 p.m.

Looking. Good.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 Dork
11/21/13 9:31 a.m.

i really need to get a respirator to continue on my garage rebuild. planing pressure treated lumber hurts without one.

and mazduece: add skylights when installing the new roof. you wont regret it.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltraDork
11/21/13 10:54 a.m.

To have a new roof, you must first have no roof.
As a side note, I enjoyed demolition a lot more when I was half my age. At some point the act of breaking E36 M3 became a whole lot like work.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UberDork
12/11/13 1:43 p.m.

Dumpster should be here tomorrow.
I need a nap.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
12/11/13 2:08 p.m.

thought you said hurricane season was over?

ScreaminE
ScreaminE New Reader
12/11/13 2:32 p.m.

Well, that escalated quickly.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
12/11/13 2:37 p.m.

Thread title change: mazdeuce rebuilds the garage

I'm guessing you found a bit more rot than anticipated?

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UberDork
12/11/13 2:47 p.m.

The only part that was worth saving was the top of the half wall. Honestly, it was better to take it all the way down. It was scabbed together with old cement form boards by a PO with a drinking problem. Had I left that, it would have always bothered me. It's a bit like having good paint on one fender. You could leave that one and repaint the whole rest of the car, but you don't. This let's me build everything properly.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
12/11/13 2:52 p.m.

Yeah... I know the feeling... a relative of your PO built my house. In a perfect world, I'd tear the thing down to the foundation and start over.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltraDork
12/11/13 2:56 p.m.

My house and garage were built by the same guy using the same methods. Part of doing the garage this way is because I can't do it to the house. I just want SOMETHING that doesn't piss me off when I think about it.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
12/11/13 2:59 p.m.

Since you have land (I don't): install RV hook-ups. When kid #4 heads off the college, live in RV while renovating the house.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 Dork
12/11/13 8:40 p.m.

so, you gonna take down the back half too?

and it might have been easier/cheaper to have the local VFD do a controlled burn.....

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UberDork
12/11/13 9:10 p.m.

The garage was built in two sections so doing the rebuild like this is structurally easy. This way all of my stuff stays sort of dry. Burning it down would have been very emotionally satisfying, but would have been a pain. As the building progresses I think it will make sense.

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 107

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nkIo8qkxnaRYeXXaDUP8zLHa3Yaqc4N5hJwz7NNZsA0gfsbmS015ou06mjmkeWRg