1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 107
Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
1/14/14 3:39 p.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote:
AngryCorvair wrote:
Kenny_McCormic wrote: It would appear you live outside of city limits and have a big pile of untreated lumber to dispose of. Bonfire?
great minds, or just detroiters, think alike? i say close dumpster, ignite contents, ?, profit.
I think burning stuff is just a popular Michigan activity.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 Dork
1/14/14 5:45 p.m.
DaveEstey wrote:
Dusterbd13 wrote: i hate losing trees..... looking forward to seeing new lumber going up. and you should check with local sawmills to see if you can get your trees turned into pretty large posts for the new garage. should be cheap. that, and the new posts made out of your trees would just be cool.
Would have to be dried first. Wouldn't fit his timeline.

Didnt think about a timeline. I also forgot about dry time. He probably wants it done in the next two years, so that makes beams of any substantial size impossible.

B ack to mazduece doing his own planning and work. Ill go back to my jealousy chair for him getting to build a newer and bigger shop than me.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltraDork
1/16/14 9:03 p.m.

You know what would make the garage work really well? Building a wall right in the berkeleying middle.

Advan046
Advan046 SuperDork
1/17/14 8:38 a.m.
mazdeuce wrote: Tree guy is here. Unfortunately the big pine tree fell about three feet too far to the left and landed right in the crotch of an oak tree that I didn't necessarily want gone. That big splinter sticking up is the oak tree. More room to park I guess and since he had to take it down, it was free. Which is sort of nice I suppose. I put the tape measure on the cut base of the pine before he started cutting it up and it was 90 feet to the crown. It was a very big tree. As soon as he gets that cut up there is only one more to come down and then it's building time! First boards up this weekend? Hopefully.

Ah man another tree gone.

Get the kids to plant an appropriate for your area tree. Or one each. They can watch them grow as they grow older. I have a great affinity for the tree my father planted. Your grandkids will love them.

Advan046
Advan046 Reader
1/17/14 8:39 a.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: i hate losing trees..... looking forward to seeing new lumber going up. and you should check with local sawmills to see if you can get your trees turned into pretty large posts for the new garage. should be cheap. that, and the new posts made out of your trees would just be cool.

YES!

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltraDork
1/19/14 7:02 a.m.

End of Friday. More walls and such. Lots of measuring 40 times and then still having to adjust things for a lack of squareness/flatness in the original concrete. I had a good day of work yesterday (Saturday) too and I'm farther. I didn't take a picture yet, but I'll take one before I get going this morning so I have daily progress. It's getting light now and I'm debating how early I can start hammering without my neighbors wanting to hurt me. 8:00?

If it ever rains I'll go back and write more about what's going on. Right now I'm trying to work every second I can while the weather is good. I have a rare drive to get something accomplished and I don't want to squander it.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltraDork
1/19/14 7:48 a.m.

It's light out so I took a picture. This is where I'm at this morning. Ideally I'd be able to build the wall in one piece and set it up there. However, since I'm working alone, I can only build as much wall as I can set into place by myself. About 8 feet at a time. I should finish the right hand wall today and get moving on the left wall. That should be much simpler. There's still the matter of having to break out the hammer drill and attach sill boards to the concrete. It takes time and makes the process go much slower than it seems like it should.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey UltraDork
1/19/14 9:41 a.m.

Great progress. I'm sure it's heartening to see things coming together again.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UberDork
1/19/14 4:52 p.m.

End of today. Right wall is done. Left one is started. Had to run to get more wood. Halfway home I was doing some math in my head and something didn't seem right. The charged me for one sheet of plywood, not 15. I'll run that back the next time I need to make a run and fix it. Tomorrow the kids are home from school, grocery shopping needs to be done and my wife wants me to bring the kids in for lunch by her office. It will be a slower day of garage work.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
1/19/14 5:21 p.m.

nice progress. you're moving right along.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltraDork
1/19/14 6:33 p.m.

Hanging the sheathing by myself is going to be a bitch. I think I figured out a way to do it, but I'm not excited about it. Building the 20 foot long beam for above the door should be fun. Building the trusses should be super duper fun.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
1/19/14 9:57 p.m.

At some point a $10/hr day laborer will become cheap help.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
1/20/14 6:40 a.m.
mazdeuce wrote: Building the trusses should be super duper fun.

Building trusses is easy... installing trusses that big... that'll be the super-duper fun part. Unless you're building them in place. In which case I've only seen that done using a ridge-beam. Even that will be tricky. Especially since it looks like the support would be on the garage door header, so that would need to be extra-beefy.

I'd rent/buy a drywall lift to install the sheathing. It's one thing to man-handle a sheet or three, but more tan a dozen - that's just asking for injury (I unfortunately speak from experience here...).

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltraDork
1/20/14 7:20 a.m.

I have a plan for the sheathing. If it works then it will be pretty easy (with the exception that I still have to physically pick them up) and there will be no fear of dropping them which is how I've hurt myself in the past. I built a drywall lift when I added the second story on my house and it worked well. I can do it again if I need too.
The trusses.......still thinking about that. I do have a couple of favors that I can call in.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltraDork
1/20/14 10:38 a.m.

Gotta run to have lunch with Mrs. Deuce and the kids. Short morning of work but I managed to sort out the extra hands needed to hang the sheathing by myself. Works great if I do say so myself. Pounding in the 75 or so nails per sheet is much more of an issue than getting the sheets in place. The walls are much much stiffer with just those two sheets on the corner.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
1/20/14 10:49 a.m.

Just discovered this thread. You've made good progress since August of last year. Coincidentally, August of last year was when Mrs. VCH and I bought our "new" home (it was new sometime before the War of Northern Aggression...) and a "garage" very striking in its similarity to yours.

I'll be following this one...

klb67
klb67 New Reader
1/20/14 11:44 a.m.

There's a lot of satisfaction in doing a construction project solo. I finished my basement and aside from the stairs and one 12' ceiling sheet of drywall, I did the rest myself. Kudos.

You are done hanging sheeting until the framing is done, I assume? You don't want to create a sail without other wall there to support it.

Do you have a power washer? I'd be inclinded to power wash the slab and brick.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
1/20/14 12:53 p.m.

That method for hanging the sheeting is genius!

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltraDork
1/20/14 1:13 p.m.
klb67 wrote: You are done hanging sheeting until the framing is done, I assume? You don't want to create a sail without other wall there to support it. Do you have a power washer? I'd be inclinded to power wash the slab and brick.

Well, I was going to hang some more because it's very satisfying to see it up, but now that you mention that whole sail thing, I think I'm done until I get that other wall up. Muchas gracias for pointing that out.
I did power wash the slab a couple of months ago. It's dirty again. I think I'll wait for the roof to be on to do it again.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
1/20/14 1:55 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: Pounding in the 75 or so nails per sheet is much more of an issue than getting the sheets in place. The walls are much much stiffer with just those two sheets on the corner.

That's why air-nailing guns were invented.

Cool idea for hanging the panels. I may steal that idea.

klb67
klb67 New Reader
1/20/14 2:03 p.m.

You are welcome. I'd hate to see a subsequent picture of your new walls lying against your house after a windstorm.

When I was in high school and helping my folks build an addition on our house, we worked all weekend to frame and sheet the walls over the new concrete block garage addition in advance of the roofing crew comming Monday morning to close in the new part of the house. We finished just before a storm hit, and while inside (the existing part of the house), we heard what sounded like 1 2x4 dropped onto the subfloor). We went out to find the new front and side walls now lying in the drive way below, partially on top of the cars. The walls were cross braced, bolted, etc., but with the sheeting and no windows cut through yet and no weight on top of them, they were no match for the strong winds (I recall they were investigating a possible tornado hit nearby, so it wasn't just a typical storm for central PA).

If you have a compressor, go get a framing nail gun from harbor freight (or a better one if you want). I couldn't have framed my basement without one. It is so much easier to build walls with a nail gun.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UberDork
1/20/14 2:16 p.m.

I have a nail gun. It has a bad O ring inside it somewhere. I should fix it.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
1/20/14 2:36 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: I have a nail gun. It has a bad O ring inside it somewhere. I should fix it.

Umm... yeah... that might be a good idea.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse HalfDork
1/20/14 4:14 p.m.

Bought a Bostitch air nailer many years ago. Probably shot 3000 nails through it. Love it. Also have a set of finish/brad/staplers, Porter Cable. Love them as well.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltraDork
1/21/14 2:48 p.m.

18x10 is going to be a really big door. I might need to buy a dump truck.

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 107

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6rj4OlMseqk3FH6JuCLwhnQs5qoqacw8HQQsJq72mOVQyAd36LZbD3uD2NSM2Mzd