TurboFource
TurboFource HalfDork
8/22/23 7:41 a.m.

Thanx

Nukem
Nukem Reader
8/22/23 8:40 a.m.

In reply to TurboFource :

Do you have the TCST alternator situation sorted out already?

Nukem
Nukem Reader
8/23/23 3:15 p.m.

I think this is where the alternator wants to live. Passenger side works less well as the front cylinder is further forward.

TurboFource
TurboFource HalfDork
8/23/23 4:37 p.m.

In reply to Nukem :

I do not ......

Nukem
Nukem Reader
8/23/23 7:37 p.m.
Nukem
Nukem Reader
8/23/23 7:38 p.m.

I got some parts today too

Nukem
Nukem Reader
8/23/23 7:41 p.m.

Chopped the end of the compressor outlet

So I can fit this nice cast 90

Nukem
Nukem Reader
8/23/23 8:07 p.m.

And a look at general serpentine belt routing

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
8/23/23 8:29 p.m.

Yep, gonna have to follow this one...

TurboFource
TurboFource HalfDork
8/23/23 9:17 p.m.

Dang! I need to work harder on TCST to keep up ......

Nukem
Nukem Reader
8/24/23 8:03 a.m.

Your's at least rolls, and presumably the motor actually actually has bits in it.

I'm still working with 90% of a bare shell and a bare block (with some externals bolted on for mockup).

Nukem
Nukem Reader
8/24/23 7:23 p.m.

Whipped up a quick brace for the top of the alternator

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
8/24/23 7:27 p.m.

Very nice. 

Nukem
Nukem Reader
8/24/23 7:33 p.m.

This is my favorite quick way to whip up stuff like this. 5/8 mild steel tube, smash the ends flat on the vice and drill some holes. Stiffness + Lightness per Time Dollar is pretty high.

This one needed a little bend which I just on the vice with a cheater bar on one end.

I think I'm going to do something similar to hang / brace the turbo.

TurboFource
TurboFource HalfDork
8/24/23 9:25 p.m.

That's what I did for my turbo brace.

Nukem
Nukem Reader
8/24/23 9:51 p.m.

Anyone think I can get away with this (turbo brace tieing into the body instead of the engine block)?

TurboFource
TurboFource HalfDork
8/25/23 6:36 a.m.

Will there be  a flex pipe in the exhaust going to it?

Nukem
Nukem Reader
8/25/23 8:03 a.m.

I plan on a bellows between the drivers side exhaust and the passenger side turbo header, and another bellows from the wastegate to the downpipe.

I think I probably need to get the motor back again in so that I can move this along. I don't think I can get away with this unless I add some compliance somewhere. Maybe where this support would mount the the body?

anger_enginering
anger_enginering New Reader
8/25/23 5:00 p.m.

Ok... I just read this entire thread and WOW.. the level of your skill is inspiring and makesme feel like a big dummy all at once! LOVE the Rear suspension, and the ITB intake off of the factory lower surprise  They DID make an intake for the 289 that had ITB's for the Cobra and I believe the Tiger. I have heard of Factory Five cars and Superformance GT40's using them. A quick search of new I found they run around 5k if you decide to go that route rather then building your own. here is the link to one

https://www.racetep.com/manufacturer/carbs-and-injection/borla-twm/v8-throttle-body-kits/v8-kit-ford-302-35mm-air-horn.html

But I do wonder how the turbo with those TB's will work? 

I wish I had the skill, or even the work space you guys have. I have a gravel driveway and in Texas today its a cool 108 degrees so Im staying inside!

Nukem
Nukem Reader
8/25/23 5:34 p.m.

In reply to anger_enginering :

Thanks! Tons of more talented folks than myself on this forum draw from too.

I've been going back and forth on whether ITBs or Turbo is happening (it probably wont be both at once). Right now Turbo is winning, but it could still go either way.

Nukem
Nukem Reader
8/25/23 5:35 p.m.

So I just spent over an hour hacking up a piece of 1/4" steel to make this tensioner bracket, only to discover my printer popped my paper template out at like 90% scale...

berkeley me, right?

TurboFource
TurboFource HalfDork
8/25/23 5:44 p.m.

Well, that really stinks!!

Nukem
Nukem Reader
8/25/23 5:58 p.m.

I'm going to solve this problem with money instead, and add it to my next Send Cut Send order...

Also, cracked open a beer to dull my sorrows. I thought I was just really E36 M3 at drilling holes in the right spot for a while.

Nukem
Nukem Reader
8/25/23 6:42 p.m.

Some super rough cuts to mock up the hot side of the intake

TurboFource
TurboFource HalfDork
8/25/23 9:27 p.m.

You are making my Europa engine compartment look roomy....

1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 17

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
i2UGRdG0vfaLFCxm2pqoXYZHfIJ2lOOph6JF0LvW4DlbyUSM8kvlXqdLezHFUeud