1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12
bentwrench
bentwrench UltraDork
11/23/22 12:15 a.m.

Dagenhiem(sp?)

Its wierd though, fine spline input and coarse spline output !

therealpinto
therealpinto GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/23/22 1:29 a.m.

To be fair, I see little reason to "want" the type F, I have never seen any performance parts for it and don't remember the ratios being anything special.

What gearbox is in the Capri now with the YB?

Gustaf

TurboFource
TurboFource Reader
11/23/22 7:09 a.m.
Ando
Ando GRM+ Memberand New Reader
11/23/22 12:07 p.m.

Regarding wheels....

I have a set of OZ

ULTRALEGGERA

Tire Rack OZ

Black 15x7 4x108 wheels originally on a Fiesta ST

Correct bolt pattern for Capri. I don't know if the offset works, but they are just sitting on my shelf taking up space and anybody can have them for the cost of shipping ....

however I do live in Hawaii ....

If somebody can use a work account cost is not terrible, retail shipping rates are probably cost prohibitive. 

my zip code is 96741 wheels weigh 12 lbs plus a few pounds packing figure a box maybe 18x18x 10

Anyone interested post or message me with preference given to the thread originator

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
11/23/22 12:53 p.m.

In reply to Ando :

Thanks, but I'm going to need wider wheels... 15x9-15x10.

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
11/23/22 1:01 p.m.

Yesterday I dropped the main jets from 170 to 150, but didn't have a chance to drive it.  I didn't know how much fuel was in it, and I wanted to get some race gas just to be safe until I know what I'm working with.  Owner couldn't remember exact specs, but thought it was 13:1 CR.    So, today I found some VP 110...  I'll admit I haven't bought a can of VP in 20 years, but HOLY E36 M3!

It took all 5 gallons, then I added 1.5gal of 91 pump to top off the cell.  New jets made a big improvement, but still rich everywhere, except for a lean tip-in at low RPMs.  Even pig rich, pulled straight and strong to 7500.

I drove it around 10 miles and managed not to kill myself...  LOL 

There's a number of things that need sorting.  The jetting, as noted.  It needs side mirrors (got some on order), and the brakes feel terrible.  Trying to get used to what the trans wants on downshifts...

If I have time in the morning, I'll try to get it on stands and have a better look underneath.  

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
11/25/22 4:10 p.m.

Spent most of the morning fiddling with the Capri.  

First step was to get it up on stands, and have a look underneath.

There's a few things I would have done differently, but overall everything looks pretty good.  I've got a leak from the 9", which is going to be a PITA to fix.  Axle ratio is ~ 3.30.  I'm scratching my head a bit at how the torque arm was fabricated from a combination of square and round tube.  Exhaust is oval between the header and muffler.

Here's some more pics of the front suspension, and steering rack mods.  I'm not sure if the rack was relocated... by the look of the brackets, they went to the trouble to keep it in the stock location when fabricating the new x-member.  Nice beefy brackets for the steering rack and sway bar.

I've got another leak from what I believe is the pressure adjustment fitting on the dry sump scavenger pump.  Need to figure out the brand/model of the pump so I can research how to remedy that.

Added driver's side mirror, which should make driving a little more survivable.  Found some cheap Vitaloni California style mirrors cheap on eBay.

Once I got it running and up to temp, I did some more carb fiddling.  It's got the leanest main jets and largest air correction jets I got with the parts, and it's still rich at WOT.  I ordered some more jets, and a Weber manual so I can try to learn the sorcery that is emulsion tube selection.  Still waiting for an air meter to work on carb balance, but got the idle mixture and speed dialed in for now.

Also did a little light cleanup, as I'm planning to drive it to our local C&C in the morning.

The gearboxes I got with the car do appear to be the Type F/ Dagenham boxes noted above... and that's what's currently installed in the car.

I got three of these, and one 2000E 'Bullet' gearbox that allegedly has a Quaife straight cut gearset.

Wicked93gs
Wicked93gs Reader
11/26/22 12:56 p.m.

I am pretty sure that rack has been dopped. Its a Cossie motor, and judging from the oil pan, compared to my Ford 2.3L Lima engine, it sits 2-3" lower since there is no rear sump like the Lima engine. Since they dropped the rack, to get bump steer under control they also had to drop the steering arm connection point. The modified sway bar may be realted to that as well.

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
11/26/22 1:05 p.m.

Loving learning more about these as they just weren't a thing around my neck of the woods.  Continue!

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 Dork
11/26/22 1:09 p.m.

My parents had a '73 Capri 2600.  I never got to drive it as it got hit twice by drunk drivers, the second accident totalled it in 1978.

This page is from Dad's old shop manual.  I'd say that's a match for what you have.

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
11/26/22 1:34 p.m.

What's the first thing you do when you buy a new car?  Take it to CnC... unless there's a trackday first, then you take it to the track. cheeky

I intentionally parked next to the Healey, which I had hoped was going to be there.  Because it also has a Cossie... and I wanted to pick his brain.

In all seriousness, this particular Healey I think is my favorite car in the whole world.  Everything about it is just perfect.  Spectacular car.

Anyway, the Capri was a big hit.  Most of the younger folks asked what it was, but I think I had four different people tell me they had owned one at some point.  Spent a while chatting with a guy from New Zealand who had had Capris, but was mostly into Cortinas.  A very nice morning at CnC, and decent weather for November.

The drive to/from showed the car is really rich in steady state cruise as well as WOT.  Pretty sure I'm going to punt and EFI this thing with ITBs and Megasquirt.  But that will be after I get some other sorting done, so hopefully the jets coming in will do the trick.  Also decided it's going to get hinges for the hood.  I had forgotten what a PITA lift off hoods are. 

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 Dork
11/26/22 1:56 p.m.

Jenvey makes some nice DCOE-style EFI throttles.  Webers can be made to run well, but I have no complaints having converting to EFI.

BTW, I love this car.

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
11/26/22 3:05 p.m.

In reply to JoeTR6 :

Thanks!

The Jenvey DCOE style throttle bodies are nice, but they also make a Cossie specific ITB setup.  I'm not dead set on having it look like Webers, so I may go that route instead.  

therealpinto
11/27/22 3:19 a.m.

I am also pretty sure the rack has been lowered, because of the dry-sump. On my car, I run a YB sump and slightly lowered engine and it is really tight vs the steering rack.

I think injection/aftermarket management is the way to. After years (15? 17?) of running Megasquirt I switched to MaxxEcu and the form factor and connectors is really a nice step forward. But a good MS works well.

Gustaf

Wicked93gs
Wicked93gs Reader
11/29/22 8:35 a.m.

So how does it steer? Can't really see the angle of the tie rods in comparison to the LCAs(well, I guess McPhereson strut is just CAs). Did the PO succeed and get bump-steer under a reasonable degree of control?

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
11/29/22 10:02 a.m.

In reply to Wicked93gs :

It's a little darty right now, but I think it has an excessive amount of toe out.   Once I get the jetting sorted, that's next on the list.

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
11/29/22 10:13 a.m.
JoeTR6 said:

This page is from Dad's old shop manual.  I'd say that's a match for what you have.

That manual doesn't happen to have the gear ratios for the Type F transmission does it?

I've been having no luck finding any info online...

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
11/29/22 1:46 p.m.

Ratios are listed here; 

https://www.ford-capri.ch/technics/technical-data-I/2600-72-73-usa-e.html

Take them with a grain of salt like anything else from the internet.  Seems about right though, I remember 1st gear in my car being quite deep like something for a truck.  

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
11/29/22 2:58 p.m.

In reply to pres589 (djronnebaum) :

Huh... the first gear in it now doesn't feel anywhere near that steep.

I'll have to go out and figure out some speeds in gears and back-calculate it.  At least I can be 99% sure 4th is 1:1.  LOL

therealpinto
11/30/22 2:29 a.m.

It seems to list the same ratios for all federal MkI´s, 2.0, 2.6 and 2.8, wonder if that is correct.

I have found references that the 3.0 with the Type F had 1st 3.163. 2nd 2.214, 3rd 1.412 or 1st 3.163  2nd 1.942  3rd 1.412 (the latter from 1972-on). But what ratios were used in the US is harder to find - OTOH, who know, the builder may well have sourced Euro parts as well I guess.

With the bellhousing being detachable chances are a V6 gearbox is used because of better ratios.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
11/30/22 5:59 a.m.

I replaced the stock box in my 2.6 car with a trans from a '74 2.8 and the ratios seemed to be identical.  The 2.0 using the same ratios & same box may not be accurate. 

Using a GPS speedo app and a gearing calculator to figure out the actual ratios seems like an easy way to figure out what's in the car now.

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
12/1/22 2:39 p.m.

One of the things I didn't like about the Capri was the derpy parts store steering wheel.  I really like Momo Mod 88s, so the Capri gets the hand-me-down used one from the NA, and the NA got a shiny new one.

I had to add an adapter for the 'American' 3 bolt quick release to 6 bolt 'Euro' pattern.

Much better.  Ergos are still a little off, but that will have to wait for now.

It also got a steering wheel hook for the cage to keep the wheel out of the way when removed.  Note the vintage Wink mirror... very 'Rad'.  wink

Also got some more Weber jets in, so I made a couple of changes.  Hope to test drive later this afternoon.

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
12/1/22 2:44 p.m.

In other news, I ran my inspection camera down into the cylinder to take a look at the pistons.  Previous owner reported 12-13:1 compression for the engine, but it's still unknown.  Sorry for the crappy pic, couldn't find a micro SD to download directly.

The piston clearly has a LARGE dome.  I'm having trouble finding specs online, but I did find a pic of a piston with a 12cc dome...

And a pic of a JE piston with a 6cc dome...

The pistons are clearly closer to the 12cc piston pic...

Opinions?

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 Dork
12/1/22 7:33 p.m.
Rodan said: That manual doesn't happen to have the gear ratios for the Type F transmission does it?

I've been having no luck finding any info online...

Indeed it does.

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
12/1/22 7:41 p.m.

Awesome!!  Thank you! yes

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
reucaeEbL6EAbA3rnlzJDWvG7oyjqeESJOANjAIxzKvOHW0XAEsVNkGg54DQn3FJ