1 2 3
t25torx
t25torx Dork
6/22/17 7:56 a.m.

I'm so excited, I couldn't wait till I had the car in my possession to start a thread on it. This Saturday I'll be driving 1100 miles round trip to pick up an $800 42 year old car. I've been looking for a something older to make into a resto-daily driver for a while now. I wanted something that in the end I will be able to take cross country and not worry about it's reliability too much. I also wanted something wagonish to be able to take the dog and all our stuff along with us on trips that might last longer then a week.

I started looking for Vega wagons, but finding those in fairly decent shape wasn't happening, at least for the money I wanted to give on this project. Wasn't really interested in Pintos, so those weren't on my list from the beginning. Then I happened upon a CL post for a Hornet Sportabout and I was in love. Hit all the right buttons for what I was looking for. So finally after a couple years searching I am picking mine up this weekend.

Here's some pictures that another forum member who went and looked at the car for me took.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
6/22/17 8:04 a.m.

Awesome! Any plans for mechanical motivation?

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/22/17 8:16 a.m.

taupe for dayyyss. love it.

t25torx
t25torx Dork
6/22/17 8:20 a.m.
RossD wrote: Awesome! Any plans for mechanical motivation?

The original plan was to put in a 1996+ Jeep 4.0L H.O. unit. I may still go this route, find a Cherokee and gut all the drive train and swap it over. The other option I'm thinking about is the straight 5 from a Colorado or the straight 6 from a Trailblazer.

I also am planning on trying to implement ABS from a Camaro or even a Jeep. I know the Camaro ABS is a pretty stand alone system that might be easy to retrofit.

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
6/22/17 8:39 a.m.

Finnigans garage for motivational tips! Wagons make me happy.

t25torx
t25torx Dork
6/22/17 8:53 a.m.
dropstep wrote: Finnigans garage for motivational tips! Wagons make me happy.

I sat down and watched all 3 episodes the other day after my dad told me they had worked on one. If anything it showed me what NOT to do to my car when I get it. For the money and time that guy spent, I think there were better options out there he could have pursued.

I've been doing some research but I'll also be needing the hives help with this one on cross platform parts swapping and easy button upgrades. This will also be my first car that's over 20 years old, so it'll be an interesting ride.

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
6/22/17 9:00 a.m.
t25torx wrote:
dropstep wrote: Finnigans garage for motivational tips! Wagons make me happy.
I sat down and watched all 3 episodes the other day after my dad told me they had worked on one. If anything it showed me what NOT to do to my car when I get it. For the money and time that guy spent, I think there were better options out there he could have pursued. I've been doing some research but I'll also be needing the hives help with this one on cross platform parts swapping and easy button upgrades. This will also be my first car that's over 20 years old, so it'll be an interesting ride.

I agree it wasnt the best horsepower per dollar, but it was the first thing i thought of when i seen the photos of your car. I daily drive my 78 in the summer, i enjoy older cars. Ill follow along regardless of what you do with it. Your saving an old wagon.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
6/22/17 9:04 a.m.
The original plan was to put in a 1996+ Jeep 4.0L H.O. unit. I may still go this route, find a Cherokee and gut all the drive train and swap it over.

I've thought about this before myself (even though I don't have any Jeep or AMC vehicles) and it sure sounds like a good way to go.

t25torx
t25torx Dork
6/22/17 12:49 p.m.
stuart in mn wrote:
The original plan was to put in a 1996+ Jeep 4.0L H.O. unit. I may still go this route, find a Cherokee and gut all the drive train and swap it over.
I've thought about this before myself (even though I don't have any Jeep or AMC vehicles) and it sure sounds like a good way to go.

I'd really like to find a Cherokee that has ABS also and try and move everything over to the Hornet, engine, transmission, ABS, maybe even the rear end if it has an LSD. But I have no clue how compatible some of the Jeep parts are going to be with the AMC body. Like axle width, not sure what the size difference is.

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 Dork
6/22/17 1:25 p.m.

A Ford 8.8 Explorer Axle works and has rear discs (not taking the ABS into account). Stick with the 4.0--that would make a nice driver and be a mechanical bolt in.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
6/22/17 1:55 p.m.

There's the stroker 4.2 HO (take the 4.0 HO and put the 4.2 rotating parts in it, IIRC), and an AMC was the first car with a T-5 transmission.

onemanarmy
onemanarmy New Reader
6/22/17 2:36 p.m.

awesome save!

why ABS? Why swap the rear axle?

I'd source a 1996 non-abs Cherokee, rebuild the engine (stroker kit) and rebuild the trans, both are easy and cheap, disc front brakes if not equipped, and install.

t25torx
t25torx Dork
6/22/17 3:31 p.m.
onemanarmy wrote: awesome save! why ABS? Why swap the rear axle? I'd source a 1996 non-abs Cherokee, rebuild the engine (stroker kit) and rebuild the trans, both are easy and cheap, disc front brakes if not equipped, and install.

Disc front brakes are definitely going to happen. ABS is a safety thing, in a panic stop situation ABS is a life saver, I know people will argue that you can stop faster without ABS but the facts don't support their arguments, especially when it's raining. My wife will be driving this car also on our trips, and I know she'll appreciate the safety factor. Also why I'm keeping the auto in, if it were me it would be a 5 speed all the way, but she hates driving a manual car. Swapping the rear axle would be a way to get ABS axles in the back without much work, if it fits good.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
6/22/17 3:36 p.m.

You're in luck. The automatic transmission in the later 4.0 Cherokees are pretty good for an automatic.

Crackers
Crackers HalfDork
6/22/17 4:10 p.m.

Sweet! This makes 4 active AMC projects right now!

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
6/22/17 9:35 p.m.

Normally I'm against indiscriminately​ ripping out drivetrains. Cars usually have a certain something about them that makes them special. Enhance this, polish that, make it better while retain the character that makes it what it is. In this case I'll make an exception. I'm 99% certain it's the body, the fake woody sides, and miles of brown vinyl that make this car special. Other than the Lego-like properties of AMC's of this era, I don't think there is anything about that drivetrain that makes is worth holding onto.
I'm looking forward to following this.

ssswitch
ssswitch Dork
6/22/17 10:55 p.m.

I love seeing more AMC projects, especially when they're a wagon.

t25torx
t25torx Dork
6/23/17 9:03 a.m.
mazdeuce wrote: Normally I'm against indiscriminately​ ripping out drivetrains. Cars usually have a certain something about them that makes them special. Enhance this, polish that, make it better while retain the character that makes it what it is. In this case I'll make an exception. I'm 99% certain it's the body, the fake woody sides, and miles of brown vinyl that make this car special. Other than the Lego-like properties of AMC's of this era, I don't think there is anything about that drivetrain that makes is worth holding onto. I'm looking forward to following this.

I forgot also to mention that this engine is not in the healthiest of states, it's got a case of the rod knock, so keeping it would involve fixing that.

As for the fake wood paneling. I'm thinking of doing some painted on wood paneling using some metallic and candy paint. I think the car would look good wearing a coat of dark chocolate brown metallic. The brown interior is staying, I love it.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Reader
6/23/17 11:23 a.m.

It's super cool. Focus on the big job that is selecting, installing and making operational the new drivetrain and then see what you think about the exterior

Who knows? It might grow on you more!

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
6/23/17 1:34 p.m.
t25torx wrote: As for the fake wood paneling. I'm thinking of doing some painted on wood paneling using some metallic and candy paint. I think the car would look good wearing a coat of dark chocolate brown metallic. The brown interior is staying, I love it.

The interior looks to be in mint shape, I'd keep it too. On the exterior I would lose that stick-on chrome strip someone added that's running down the middle of the wood paneling section.

I suppose these days with the popularity of vinyl wrap, you can probably get replacement paneling in any woodgrain pattern you'd want at a pretty reasonable price.

physician
physician Reader
6/23/17 7:36 p.m.

Yes vinyl is available in the woodgrain of your choice. I inquired about that for Woody'ing my 06 legacy wagon. Turns out its more than i want but easily available

tdrrally
tdrrally Reader
6/24/17 5:02 a.m.

i question your abs idea, this car had abs https://youtu.be/_WzQm3j6hZA

i love the hornet, the 4.0 and 4 speed auto are a great direction to go as are 4 wheel discs

Graystang
Graystang New Reader
6/24/17 8:01 a.m.

Love the direction you are anticipating to go with this..would love to see your progress with the abs addition to this machine....truly a great feature to have...me, anytime I have an abs failure I just disable the systems for simplicity.....there have been a couple times in the past I considered upgrading to srs airbags..very cool project

Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
6/24/17 12:36 p.m.

I'm not sure a 4.0 is going to change the way the car feels much, just make it so it can keep up with traffic.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/24/17 1:05 p.m.
t25torx said: I forgot also to mention that this engine is not in the healthiest of states, it's got a case of the rod knock, so keeping it would involve fixing that.

So, that means the engine will only go 100k instead of 200k? lol But in reality, a FI 4.0 would be great...

BTW, head

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XiRfXsdZ1CtXk28R5fAUjiXPZoxlGFz1tgMBN78g35vRcLLfpIrvkoSi8pqZPVKf