1 2 3 4 5
chandler
chandler MegaDork
6/2/23 11:36 a.m.

Turned over 55000 miles on the truck Tuesday.

Pulled the hardtop off and my daughter and I screwed with power top til we got it working perfect for her. 

And as always I was perusing CL while out working and found these wheels listed as "Vete" takeoffs. 

wow. HRE 504 in 16x9.5 5x120.65. Since I can't pass up vintage multi piece wheels that are reasonably priced I brought them home. 

Many many years ago (2004)I had a set of Kinesis Supercups built for my 986s by Supreme Power and loved them; when I took them off they sat for years in a storage unit and I finally sold them to a VW guy (2010) who was going to pop them in his Passat wagon. He never did and after 13 years I contacted him and bought them back. 

I do not have a car to put them on yet but pretty stoked to have them back. I have a huge stack of maintenance items for the dakota that I might get to this weekend. I hope.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/2/23 1:37 p.m.

Those wheels look great even in its current shape. 

chandler
chandler MegaDork
6/2/23 6:25 p.m.
yupididit said:

Those wheels look great even in its current shape. 

I think a hose and some mothers will work wonders.

chandler
chandler MegaDork
6/17/23 8:49 p.m.

Truck turned over 58,000 miles today, missed the pic.

I sold my last rabbit July 13th, 2013. This is just before he arrived to take it away. 1978, Audi brakes, Audi Recaros in rabbit print, ABA turbo, Renault Fuego magic top sliding roof, rabbit etched windows.... basically how you would build a MKI in 1988 plus a modern engine. It was sweet!

I swore off of them and had done so well, I'd given totes of parts to people, unloaded my collection of 2H and 4K transmissions and then this popped up here

Mostly rust free (some perforations in the drivers rear fender) 1984 GTI with a round swap. This came with it for parts

And I picked this up for a couple hundred bucks today as well

So, ten years without and now have three. What am I doing!?! There were also three truckloads of parts and a lot of the parts I gave away came back to me also since I facilitated the purchase of Paranoid Androids MKi and they left all the stuff I gave him with me. Great.....

This is 46, 47 and 48 for me.

chandler
chandler MegaDork
8/12/23 8:46 a.m.

The rabbit truck went to a new owner, I had no need for it and it was ROUGH. The guy I bought that from also had a 91 w124 in his lawn that he said he stopped driving because of the exhaust falling off. I bought it as well and my brother is using it on his YouTube channel

then, while I was picking up some wheels from FastEd here on the forum I saw this Jeep in his yard and picked that up for a kiddo car

needs a lot since it's been sitting with a blown head gasket since 2016 but it's super solid and a five speed.

The f150 turned over 64,000 miles which is crazy, I've been flying a lot recently.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/12/23 9:38 p.m.

In reply to chandler :

Shopping spree lol

Lmk if you see any c36 projects. I think my 190e would do well with that engine under the hood. 

chandler
chandler MegaDork
12/26/23 6:34 p.m.

Haven't posted in a bit but the truck turned over 81,000 miles last week. 

Had some vacation to blow before the end of the year and told myself I wanted the Dakota back in its own wheels so...

through all the spaces

And the frame and suports

to this

Reassembly tomorrow just waiting for some hardware to arrive at fastenal.

Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself
Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself PowerDork
12/26/23 7:27 p.m.

Yay!

(You really nailed that rear crossmember) wink

chandler
chandler MegaDork
12/27/23 3:01 p.m.
Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself said:

Yay!

The puns!

Worked for a few hours today, got it mostly reassembled. Missing the fuel filler neck (had a weird dent at the check ball) and that gasket into the tank was rotten so I have those coming. Need to grab some brake lines and put the shocks on and it will be pretty close back here. 

The starter packed it in last time I tried to start it and the positive cable to it was rotten so I have those to replace and we will see if I can get vrooms again. Then it's....whatever I'm fixing next.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/27/23 3:19 p.m.
chandler said:
Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself said:

Yay!

The puns!

because why knot?

also,

OMG this truck needs to wear StarQuest rims full time.

Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself
Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself PowerDork
12/27/23 3:20 p.m.

In reply to chandler :

I can't help myself.

Can't wait to see it with the bed on and on the ground!

chandler
chandler MegaDork
2/21/24 3:59 p.m.

So.... the company I've been with for 17 years decided I should do something different. Since I don't have anything different lined up I've been tinkering in the garage and barn catching up on stuff I should have done before but never made time. Cleaning dryer vent, taking accumulated junk to dump, loading out scrap metal to the recycler, just being around when my kids are (geez the stuff I've missed)....

As part of the severance I bought the F150 at a greatly reduced price. It has 87k on it now and I've maintained it so know what I'm getting mostly. 

Bought this thing to tinker with and my brother is going to use it on his YouTube channel. "Blown engine", yeah...two pistons had no tops not even sure how they accomplished that

and.... I've spent a ton of time buttoning up all the little things on the dakota. Today it ran for the first time since I believe 1999 when it was stuck in the carport. Injectors are stuck so I ordered some rebuilt ones to pop in and find the next thing.

Piguin
Piguin Reader
2/22/24 1:48 a.m.

Sorry to hear about your old company's choices. Hopefully next employment will give you more time with the kids instead of on the road.

Unless of course the owner is a member here and decided to give you a push to finish some of your projects

chandler
chandler MegaDork
3/7/24 4:00 p.m.

Why is the Dakota spewing coolant ou of the block?

so.... engine is out on the stand. Being regasketed, cleaned, water pump, engine bay cleaned etc...

Found an engine for the C230 in KY, 61,000 miles wrecked. Grabbed that and hope to swap that next week. Fun fun.

Manual_Trans
Manual_Trans New Reader
3/7/24 4:54 p.m.

I love seeing progress on the Dakota! Cleaning up the bay and the engine itself will make things a lot nicer to work on in the future. 

If I ever take the bed off of mine, it'll hopefully be for a c-notch and boxing the frame. I want to do racetrack things with it. 

chandler
chandler MegaDork
4/7/24 6:17 p.m.

My trailer has always had one marker light that was dimmer than the others; figured a bad ground but it went out a few trips ago and I marked it down as a "fix before I go back to work" job. Today was the day, tested the wire and the bulb and found; no surprise, the bulb was good and there was zero power. Not a bad ground then. Of course on a trailer like this it's basically a minefield and you never know we're you will go but the first place it enters a chase when I moved the wire it fell off in my hand. Okely dokely, splice in a new wire and boom

I should wash that...

engine for the dakota is all regasketed with new timing chain and intake because mine had a crack. Not sure if it affected it at all but wasn't going to risk it. 

Again, probably should have washed it further but really it's going to be driven. 

New rack installed as well

Trans is out now as well and is getting a new output and input seal since it did leak while it was sitting. I'll check any other spots but have decided to install engine trans combo since it's pretty tight back there. One exhaust bolt broke so chasing that down and then we will be back in business. Maybe tomorrow; or the next day....

chandler
chandler MegaDork
4/7/24 6:26 p.m.

If you remember this car from the first page,

my brother was dailying it  then the coolant system went so he pushed it to the side and it sat.... and sat... and some more sitting. Made a point of getting all that done as well as fixing the original suspension end to end. Threw on some RC090 and dialed in the ride height

Back to a daily.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
4/7/24 10:44 p.m.

In reply to chandler :

I've sworn off BMW ownership, but that looks good & has a great stance yes

chandler
chandler MegaDork
4/8/24 6:30 a.m.
Indy - Guy said:

In reply to chandler :

I've sworn off BMW ownership, but that looks good & has a great stance yes

He has an e34 5 series like you once did; it's ridiculously low. 

chandler
chandler MegaDork
4/20/24 5:43 p.m.

Engine and trans are back in the dakota; and there was much rejoicing

bought a challenge car last weekend. 2007 mazdaspeed3. It's a bit of a beater but it runs and drives and was sub-1k so it's a great starting point. 

today I went back and got the title (little issue there he got cleared up) and some spare parts he had and then went and visited Somebeach who had parted out one a few years ago and still had plenty of parts left over so I snagged those. Once I start the build I'll make the budget public but right now it's...pretty cheap

chandler
chandler MegaDork
5/24/24 11:16 p.m.

The red e36 popped the radiator this week; I did t have time during the week to throw the full FCP upgrade kit at it but jumped in tonight. All metal replacements and purged and cooling now

Once I'm sure it's good I'll do an oil change and trans fluid change as well. Good little car.

spandak
spandak Dork
5/25/24 2:22 a.m.

Man you're making me miss my E36. It spent my money like it was its job but I loved that car. Easy to work on, sounded great, drove well... it just felt right. 

Also super curious to see how that MS3 works out. I took mine from 33k to ~80k without major issue. Never got a sense it was solidly built. But high mileage ones are cheap around me and I'm looking for an excuse to get a daily. 

chandler
chandler MegaDork
6/13/24 8:59 a.m.

Truck went over 97,000 and I hit the second deer. Was passing a semi when he suddenly hit his brakes and a deer ran into my lane. Doh!

two deer in two years.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
6/13/24 9:45 a.m.

In reply to chandler :

Oooof.  Sorry to hear that.

Side note:  how's the new job going?

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/13/24 9:58 a.m.

In reply to chandler :

berk bambi.