1 2 3
BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/25/14 12:33 p.m.

On the face of it, that makes sense. I just tend to be a bit concerned when trying to return modified cars to near a stock-ish state as at least I tended to find things modified in a way that I didn't really care much for.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
12/25/14 1:47 p.m.

As long as it's not a pig, I'd be all over that.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog SuperDork
12/25/14 2:18 p.m.
BoxheadTim wrote: On the face of it, that makes sense. I just tend to be a bit concerned when trying to return modified cars to near a stock-ish state as at least I tended to find things modified in a way that I didn't really care much for.

The V6 would stay. I'd sell the auto and put in a T5. The carb would likely go for FI. To me the big pluses are the V6 is already there and the body is done (done right is another story).

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog SuperDork
1/18/15 4:10 p.m.

PARTS CAR!!

Er, truck. Sort of.

So the plan was to buy a rusted out S-10 to use as a winter beater and eventual drivetrian donor for this or whatever Chevette I end up building. Budget was $800, but such a beast either didn't exist or was snapped up in minutes of being listed. So I expanded my budget a bit on the ASSumpton that a nicer truck meant nicer parts which meant more money to recoup. This lead m to this rust-free 92 extra cab for $1500. It's almost too nice to part out. Fully loaded including a working digital dash. How it behaves in the coming months will determine if it lives or dies, but so far it has been dead nuts reliable.

In the mean time I think I have the Chevette shell sold for a rally car build, which should leave me with a healthy stash of parts for a little over $300. Car goes back in the garage tonight to start the disassembly.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/19/15 7:50 a.m.

Soooo... Put the Chevette body on a Jeep frame and make people stare...

oops... been done.. Jevette

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog SuperDork
1/31/15 9:50 p.m.

Parts truck #2 acquired last Sunday night. In the rain, with a bum knee. Some parts will go to parts truck#1, while the drivetrain will go to the Chevette. Or at least A Chevette*. Non-running 2.8 five speed 91 for $300. Supposedly only needs a fuel pump, and I can't hear it pump with the key on. Already started stripping it and hope to have it running tomorrow.

Makes the Chevette look practically showroom fresh!

This is the good side!

Told ya that was the good side!

With an interior like this, I'm kind of glad I didn't have to drive it.

There is a bed mat under the debris and a rust-free bed under that.

Looking much better now. Let the dissassembly begin!

• this may or may not be foreshadowing. Stay tuned!
dropstep
dropstep Reader
1/31/15 9:52 p.m.

im still trying to motivate my friend to work on his chevette, i think there fun cars with a little bit of power!

ronholm
ronholm Dork
1/31/15 9:58 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulmVJrVR73M

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog SuperDork
2/1/15 4:26 p.m.
ronholm wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulmVJrVR73M

Always gives me wood. Personally I would have made it look like a stock big block without all the chrome and aluminum, but then I didn't build the car.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog SuperDork
2/1/15 4:35 p.m.

So this is devolving into a watch JD tear apart S10s thread instead of a watch JD attempt to build stuff thread, but better things are coming I promise. And if not better than different. Definitely different. And purple.

Anyway here are some more pics of a rusted S10 being dissassembled.

Interior gutted as far as I can and have it still be driveable. Seat in finger tight. I did this for easy access to the ECU and harness when the time comes to pair it down to the bare essentials for the swap.

Same with the front end. Other fender is on to hold in the (dead) battery. Once I get some help removing the bed tomorrow I should be able to diag. the fuel pump issue and get make it easier to move in and out of the garage. Once that is accomplished I can perform a compression check and then blow it apart and out to scrap. The tires/wheels and steering will be going onto the other S10 as soon as I can get them both in the garage or the weather is nice enough to work outside.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog SuperDork
2/2/15 10:13 p.m.

And tonight this happened.

Rust free except for one seat mount. Folded pinch welds, plexi rear windows, and that paint job. Apparently it once belonged to one of Joker's henchmen.

Spent all day Saturday driving into the darkest reaches of middle Tennessee to spend a whopping $200 on the car and $25 on a rarer than hen's teeth tilt column for same. Also there appears to be an H.O. exhaust manifold in the back seat.

So this is now the main build car and the original is at parts car status. between these two and the S-10 I might actually have a shot at a decent build and stay on budget. If nothing else, I seem to have the "acquire cars and parts" phase down cold.

solfly
solfly Reader
2/3/15 8:00 a.m.

this should be a fun one. my dad had a chevette as his winter/fuel mileage beater back in the day

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog SuperDork
2/7/15 10:27 p.m.

Busy day today. First thing I did was do my first repair on the 'Vette! I replaced the hatch strut. It's a little thing and overly expensive and will probably be replaced with a broom stick if I'm close on budget. But as long as it's in my garage it will have a working strut. Even if there are two at $40 each and the car is going to be flipped, I WILL NOT work around a blown hatch strut.

Next I pulled the seats out. I never knew a car could have a dirt floor. Despite the deodorant it smelled like mouse poop and failure.

With the interior out I checked the rust. Left rear floor and a bit up front on the same side. Hard to believe this is the GOOD car!

Continuing on, I found this. Not only is there wood spacing the springs, there are extra Chevette pulleys in the spring perches!

Dexter is unimpressed.

Next I replaced the fuel pump on the parts truck.

Fired right up and drove out! Sounded pretty good with that Flowmaster too.

Tomorrow I swap parts from the now running S10 to my DD. Next week is I travel but when I get back I hope to have a V6 bolted into the Chevette!

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog SuperDork
2/14/15 9:58 p.m.

Travel this weekend postponed so I spent the day working on the trucks. This morning I found almost everything I wanted for the DD at Pull-A-Part. Then I set about finishing off the parts truck.

First, I finished removing the front sheet metal. Then the doors (for future use on the black truck if I can't get the power windows sorted) and and fuel tank. Plus eleventy billion little things that make a project like this drag on for hours. It took me 20 minutes to get the throttle cable out in one piece just in case I need it later.

Then it was a simple matter to lift the engine and transmission out. Well, simple if It wasn't 20 degrees and I didn't want to open the door for the proper room.

With a little luck and a surprisingly small amount of cursing it's out and ready to be cleaned. Along with my floor. I swear after swapping engines for 23 years I still haven't figured out how to do it without making a mess.

Tomorrow I finish cutting it up and then see what I can get for the unused parts and scrap.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog SuperDork
2/15/15 8:08 p.m.

DONE!

No, not the build, just the stripping of the parts truck. And who doesn't love finishing off a stripper on Valentine's weekend?

It doesn't look much different here but there isn't much left usable on the cab at this point. The "good" wheels will be swapped out before the shell is sent to scrap.

I'm keeping the rear end (only 1 1/2" wider per side, hence the choice of donor), so I had to get creative with the dollies. Again. These things have kept my projects rolling for 20 years.

And it's out! I kept the front springs for my DD (gonna get a ghetto drop with cut coils) but the frame is surprisingly solid. Anyone need a front clip/full frame for a street rod build? I'll sell it CHEAP!

Next weekend I'll degrease the drivetrain and hopefully sell off some extraneous parts the make it more or less free. With any luck I'll park it in it's mew home in the 'Vette next weekend, if only to keep it out of the way.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
2/15/15 8:54 p.m.

1 full coil is 3 inch drop. Second gen blazer bilstiens work good with them.

And, any idea what diameter the chevette steering wheel is? And a better picture? If it looks like i think it does, I may be interested in one of your spares...

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog SuperDork
2/15/15 9:26 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13: 15", same as the S-10

Found a nice 14" Cavalier RS wheel at Pull-A-Part but it was missing the horn button.

I'll be on the lookout for those Bilstiens, as I don't want to spend the $150 for nitro-drops.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
2/16/15 8:12 a.m.

Buy them used. 10 each at pull-a-part

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog SuperDork
2/28/15 10:35 p.m.

Nothing new to report. Ended up with another S-10 I don't need so nothing much will happen until it is at least yard mobile.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog SuperDork
3/22/15 4:12 p.m.

Somehow I got talked into two sets of wheels. The Corvette wheels have low but usable tread. They will go on the 'vette, because 'vette! The Cadillac XLR wheels have two good tires and two blown out. All for $300. Probably put them on a random S10 or sell them. I am not un-pleased.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog SuperDork
9/11/15 10:22 p.m.

Nothing has changed with the car but I thought it was time for a progress report. Since the last update I doubled down on my business, spent $110k on a new truck for same, got said business BOOMING, worked too much, had a minor heart attack and other health problems, closed the business, and now I'm on hiatus for a couple months while I wrap things up and plan my next move.

Then tonight THIS happened. Drove it home for $1000. More to come.

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Dork
9/13/15 3:35 p.m.

Been wondering what happened. Hopefully your health is OK. Look forward to this build

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog SuperDork
9/13/15 3:45 p.m.

Thanks. Lifestyle changes forthcoming. Meanwhile I get to play with a driving old car for a change. The new ride is way nicer than it has any right to be for $1000. New thread shortly.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog SuperDork
11/15/15 10:12 p.m.

Was supposed to start a new thread but two weeks later this happened:

For another $1000 I was the proud owner of this cute '77. It looks better in the picture but is rougher underneath. Still working on a plan but the original build is still on-just delayed.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog SuperDork
11/15/15 10:14 p.m.

Update of the '79 with some cool Panasports:

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oUkvGE7rcbw1P8aKqvTyLo4oGxB9FodPyPu7RPPW20pdPqZtG8ZtVcdDLhChOYde