1 ... 5 6 7
Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso UltraDork
3/27/24 10:06 a.m.

Tragic that I live in Pittsburgh but have never been to PittRace. The only thing keeping me from going there is time and money. 

nsogiba
nsogiba Reader
4/2/24 12:41 p.m.

In reply to Scotty Con Queso :

Come to our May event and spectate for free! Our chapter is working hard to make HPDE's more accessible to everyone. I'm sure we could get you a ride with an instructor in any number of fast track cars. 

nsogiba
nsogiba Reader
4/30/24 8:18 a.m.

I recently convinced the stock tachometer and speedometer to read correctly. A few months of trial and error, and I went from this:

To this:

Feels so awesome not to have wires dangling all over. The Dakota Digital box lives in the dash behind the gauges, and I also installed an analog boost gauge. Still need to install a fuel gauge with the right resistance curve, and decide what other gauges to put in the dash. The OEM ones either don't work (ECT) or are inaccurate (volts).

nsogiba
nsogiba Reader
5/8/24 1:58 p.m.

Last year I wrapped up the HPDE season knowing I wanted to make a changing in my trailer setup. It was getting old renting U-Hauls. Convenient not having to store or maintain it, but the following factors sealed the deal to buy my own:

-Sunk rental cost
-Not always available - having to reserve months in advance 
-Lack of storage (tires, tools)
-Having to load everything up the night before or day of the event, and repeat as soon as I got home from a long hot weekend

Step 1: Sell old HF trailer. I had this thing for almost 7 years and beat it to death hauling mowers, firewood, anything and everything. Paid for itself many times over. I refinished it and got full asking price for it.

Step 2: Acquire used Penske hauler. 

Slightly different from U-Haul transport: 
-6 lug axles
-longer ramps
-slightly lighter (~200 lbs)
-torsion axles rather than leaf sprung
-relocated tongue jack allows tool box mounting

Step 3: Add toolbox from old trailer. 

Step 4: Design tire rack 

One of the gripes I had was loading/unloading spare tires, tools, etc in the back of my tow rig for every event. The rack allows me to easily transport spare wheels while also serving as storage between events. My toolbox holds most of my "dirty" gear (jack, toolbag, spare fluids, jackstands, etc). I still need to figure out where to put my gas cans - thinking about a small removeable "cage" between the toolbox and front of the deck.

Step 5: Build tire rack out of 1" square .120" wall tube.

Step 6: Engage hover mode on M3 to start track prep

Step 7: Put M3 wheels on rack. I added a removable vertical brace at the front of the rack for some additional support. 

Now that the trailer is loaded with tools and wheels, I can test fit the car and play with placement to figure out ideal tongue weights.

nsogiba
nsogiba Reader
5/14/24 7:46 a.m.

I am not much of a car show person as I prefer to be around cars when they're in motion, but my family enjoys these events so I decided to compromise: 

nsogiba
nsogiba Reader
6/18/24 8:21 a.m.
Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
6/18/24 8:43 a.m.
nsogiba said:

I am not much of a car show person as I prefer to be around cars when they're in motion, but my family enjoys these events so I decided to compromise: 

I missed this when you first posted it. 

Nice yes

(also, trailer's looking good.  have you pulled the car on it yet? How's it tow?)

nsogiba
nsogiba Reader
6/18/24 12:59 p.m.

In reply to Indy - Guy :

I have towed it, empty and full, about 400 miles round trip down to Pittrace and back. The surge brakes were barely activating which required me to drive accordingly, but as long as the tongue weight was kept at 600 lbs, stability was good. 

I wasn't crazy about the stability of the tire rack, it was moving left to right over big bumps a bit due to being top heavy - unfortunately I can't add much bracing diagonally as it will impede the ability to park a larger vehicle on the trailer (I plan on renting this trailer out). 

Plan is to fix the surge brake (master cylinder), and fine tune the load balance. I am planning on selling the X5 as I want to eventually pull a camper, which wouldn't be great with the short wheelbase of the X5. But, with 6,000 lbs (trailer+M3) and 600 lbs on the ball, tows fine. 

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
6/18/24 1:18 p.m.

In reply to nsogiba :

How about adding removable diagonal supports? That terminate at the lower junction point of your already removable center support?  Crude sketch to illustrate:

nsogiba
nsogiba Reader
6/19/24 8:39 a.m.

Funny you mention that, right before my trip I put on 2 ratchet straps exactly as you showed to help anchor it against the middle. It helped but didn't fix entirely. 

reiernumans
reiernumans New Reader
6/29/24 7:14 a.m.

Came across a post about your Jaaaaaaagg in another topic last week and I've read the entire thread over the course of the week in spare hours here and there. Love seeing what you're up to, I remember reading your E39 and C5 threads on ls1tech or some old LS forum when you were working on those. Keep doing fun E36 M3 and writing about it!

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
6/29/24 8:38 a.m.
reiernumans said:

...... Keep doing fun E36 M3 and writing about it!

I'm quoting this so I have the opportunity to give it another thumbs up 👍 

chandler
chandler MegaDork
6/29/24 10:08 a.m.

Make sure your brakes are adjusted correctly, I get a trailer a week that the adjuster is frozen so they are relying completely on the controller turned to 11 and locking up one position. 

nsogiba
nsogiba Reader
7/6/24 1:22 p.m.

In reply to reiernumans :

Thanks for the support, I love when people enjoy my ramblings. 

My front springs were looking a little worse for the wear, so I'm experimenting with some aftermarket replacements meant for a Ford. They comparable in dimensions and spring rates, so we'll see how they work out once I get the car back together. For reference my car is lumped with an iron LS engine which should be a bit lighter than the original XK 6.

https://youtu.be/-NQEy0-gXK0?si=5oA7n74nYdp-ZooL

nsogiba
nsogiba Reader
7/6/24 1:23 p.m.

In reply to chandler :

This is a surge brake with no external controller. It relies on inertia from the trailer load to compress a spring and actuate the master cylinder. 

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
7/6/24 3:39 p.m.

In reply to nsogiba :

I hope the new springs work out for you yes.

Nice work on the Moog cross reference.

nsogiba
nsogiba Reader
9/10/24 2:20 p.m.

Few updates here and there. 

M3 continues to be the ultimate do it all vehicle. I changed the oil, wheels and pads after the last HPDE at the Glen and took the kids to daycare all week in extreme comfort. 

I finshed up the subframe and steering rack rebuilds on the XJ6.0. No more leaks! Also a very reliable vehicle despite being pretty thirsty. Between the heavy foot and high ethanol content I'm scared to track economy. 

The 2016 X5 has been sold locally. It was another great "do it all" vehicle but I wanted to get away from having a payment, and get into something that could better tow a travel trailer as we plan to purchase one of those at some point. 

With that being said - I'm in the middle of closing the deal on a new tow/winter vehicle. It's an '05 and spent the first few years of its life in Washington state, and then lived in Idaho for 15 years so it's very clean. Spoiler alert - it has a V8. 

nsogiba
nsogiba Reader
9/23/24 7:56 a.m.

It has been a long time coming but the prophecy has finally been fulfilled. I sold my X5 a few weeks ago and brought home a new DD. I now own nothing but V8 powered vehicles. 

2005 Suburban 2500, 6.0/80E, 4.10s, LT package with heated leather, 3rd row, rear seat entertainment, everything I need and nothing I don't. This popped up on CL in Phoenix and although I considered doing a fly and drive, the schedules didn't work so I just had it shipped. Having driven it for a few days now I wouldn't hesitate to go across country though. 

I already pulled off the crazy dark tint and need to clean the interior a bit. For the mileage it's in nice shape and most importantly there is no rust on the body, and minor surface rust on the frame as it lived in Idaho most of its life. 

Fits in the garage with a little room to spare.

Stupid amounts of space inside. I love it

The short term plan is to change every fluid and do a general tune up, plugs/wires etc. I plan to replace the headlights since they're all cloudy and install a Z71 lower valence with the round fog lights. I have a 41930 upgraded hitch on the way and right before winter I'll paint the exposed areas of the frame and then have it undercoated (recommendations on products?). 

The long term plan is a small turbo and drive the wheels off it. 

1 ... 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WTnwcunAxOKYx96J1cfFxGKs5VXKX1Ck4frg26f2HjQsFygMhUr5gC4Y35rskAZc