1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise New Reader
10/11/18 11:36 a.m.

Nice ride for the wife 

how has the longevity been for these (I know yours is still new) ?

my 200LC is getting up to 175k miles, and I keep thinking of getting a Cayenne or a Gwaggen and dipping my feet in the euro suv pond - am I just asking for punishment and headaches ? 

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
10/11/18 1:23 p.m.

A friend has close to 140k miles on his Cayenne diesel.  Only thing that he's had to do outside of normal maintenance is recently replace the EGR, which Porsche did for free.

I'm not a fan of the Gwagen's.  Don't like the way they look or drive.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise New Reader
10/11/18 2:03 p.m.

In reply to docwyte :

Thank you for that. 140k miles is impressive. Only thing I like about the G is the way they look:) 

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
10/12/18 10:17 a.m.

This might be an inflammatory statement but i don't consider Porsche and MB to be in the same bracket as far as reliability. I consider Porsches to be better in that regard. My Cayenne cost $6k so whatever goes wrong with it will be in the context of "what do you expect from a 13y/o luxury car with 150k miles" but honestly based on what i've read I don't expect anything dramatic to happen. We'll see if it starts sucking down oil next week...

sobe_death
sobe_death Dork
10/12/18 12:15 p.m.

In reply to Vigo :

Where did you find a diesel for 6k!?  I would be all over that, pending expensive turbo issues...

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise New Reader
10/12/18 12:18 p.m.

In reply to Vigo :

6k cayenne? 

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
10/12/18 12:28 p.m.

Mine is a 2006, pre-diesel-era. However if i were to come across a <$2k V10 TDI Touareg I'd consider attempting a swap.. laugh

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
10/12/18 2:53 p.m.

In reply to Vigo :

Hopefully you don't get a scored cylinder wall.  My old '06 Cayenne Turbo S was running great, up until the point where it was burning oil at the rate of 1 qt/500 miles.  Actually, it still ran great, it just burned copious amounts of oil...

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise New Reader
10/12/18 3:28 p.m.

My brother who DD his 16 Panamera is burning a quart every 2500 miles

he drives 20k a year. Porsche says it’s normal

his is not a TT. It’s just a base. I am not an engineer.  Just curious why some manufacturers can build engines that go 200k miles and doesn’t burn oil and some burn oil always from new. 

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
10/13/18 6:44 p.m.

The cayenne turbos always burn oil.  My old one consistently ran thru 1 qt/1200 ish miles.  But when that more than doubled, that's when I had a problem.

I've never owned a car that went thru oil the way that Cayenne Turbo did.  I've owned lots of German cars in the past, many forced inducted but none would really use any oil at all in between 5000 mile oil changes.  That Cayenne sure did and it was normal from what I discovered...

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise New Reader
10/13/18 7:21 p.m.

Turbos burning oil makes sense, but base v6 model panameras??

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
10/14/18 3:19 p.m.

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

Yeah, not sure?  Like I said, none of my other cars burned any appreciable oil in between 5000 mile oil changes.  The Cayenne just drank it, copiously

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
10/20/18 1:37 p.m.

Did the fuel filter change today.  Porsche calls for fuel filter changes every 20k miles and removing the filter and sucking the fuel/water out of the filter canister every 10k miles.  Since it's the same amount of work and filters are cheap, I'm replacing the fuel filter every 10k miles.

No pictures, this literally took me 15 minutes!  Removed the engine trim panel on the passenger side by lifting up the middle section and pulling out the plastic push pins. 

Then using a T20 torx remove the 5 torx bolts holding the top of the fuel filter canister in place.  Pull the top off and set it aside.  Use a turkey baster and suck out as much fuel as you can, then pull out the filter and put it in a bucket.  It's full of fuel and will drain for awhile.

Using the turkey baster again suck all the fuel/water out of the canister.  Drop in your new fuel filter, replace the lid making sure it seats into the filter.  Put the 5 T20 bolts back into place, tighten carefully as they use little torque.

Place the trim panel back on.  Cycle the key a few times to help fill the canister, then start the SUV.  Job done!

DieselRules
DieselRules None
10/21/18 10:03 p.m.

Hi all, I got a 2015 Cayenne Diesel as CPO with 40K miles on it. I notice that there is about a second of hesitation to start hard from dead stop. It takes about a second for the rpm to go from idle (1.2K rpm) to about 2k rpm. During this time, the CD will accelerate slowly. Once it hits about 2k rpm, all the power comes and it will shoot out. Do you have the same experience?

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
10/22/18 8:21 a.m.

This is due to the software"fix" that Porsche put in.  Ours was far worse than that and it finally threw a check engine light.  New EGT sensors, new catalytic convertors and a reflash on the DME and it drives normally again.

Others on Rennlist are reporting clogged EGR's and replacing/cleaning out the entire intake tract solved it for them.  When my dealer had my CD, they had several other CD's there getting EGR's, EGT's, catalytic convertors etc, so it seems fairly common...

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise New Reader
10/22/18 9:42 a.m.

What are the warranty on these CPO or these used Porsches? 

Are you you guys planning to keep them post warranty period ? 

How does it it compare to the GX v8?

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
10/22/18 10:11 a.m.

All of the Cayenne Diesels have a 6 year/100k bumper to bumper warranty from Porsche. If you find one that's CPO'd, that adds another 2 years and unlimited mileage on them.  So I have until 2021 of warranty on the truck.  Emissions stuff is covered for 10 years/120,000 miles, which includes the DPF stuff too. 

I'll evaluate whether we keep it out of warranty based on how needy it is over the next 18 months or so.  If it's rock solid, I'll keep it.  We've owned it for about 8 months and 12k miles and with the exception of the EGT/Cat's, it's been fine. I have a friend with one of these with ~140k miles on it, basically trouble free, so that's good...

Way more torquey compared to the GX V8, plus it gets twice the gas mileage, literally.  The GX gets 15 mpg, the Diesel 30mpg.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
10/22/18 10:21 a.m.

In reply to docwyte :

Fuel filter R&R sounds similar to other VAG diesels.  When I bought my TDI I read it's fairly rare to see water come out of the filter drain - I suppose we're fortunate in the US diesel station tanks are reasonably well sealed?.  Most just say don't worry about it and replace the filter every 20K (once or twice per year in my case).  To prime the filter I use a Mity-Vac connected to the outlet port to suck fuel through the filter.  Fortunately, no panel removal required in a Mk IV - it's right up top in the engine bay.

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
10/22/18 11:12 a.m.

In reply to Ian F :

It's right up top on the Cayenne too, just have to remove an engine "beauty" panel to get at it.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise New Reader
10/22/18 3:11 p.m.

So 7.5 years and unlimited mileage warranty, if you bought a 6 month old CPO? 

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
10/22/18 4:51 p.m.

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

No, the warranty starts at the date of purchase/service.  So unless you find a brand new, never registered 2016, the best warranty you'll get is 8 years starting from 2016, so to 2024. Or 2023 if it's a 2015, etc...

Most of the dealers aren't CPO'ing these as they already have a longer warranty from Porsche.  I've heard of some that are, so look around.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise New Reader
10/22/18 9:58 p.m.

In reply to docwyte :

Appreciate the info ! 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise New Reader
10/26/18 8:07 p.m.

Just saw this 

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
11/26/18 9:07 a.m.

Wife got rear ended about 1.5 weeks ago.  Luckily not a lot of damage but looks like a new bumper cover will be needed and maybe some paint/body work for the hatch.  She's taking it to the shop today for the appraisal, would've done it last week but Thanksgiving and all.

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
11/26/18 1:57 p.m.

So, lesson here for everyone.  Always, always get all the parties information here if you have an incident with another car.  My wife hasn't always been the best with this but this time she was a rock star! 

Which I'm extremely thankful of because even though the damage to the Cayenne looked minor, the body shop appraisal rang the bell at $6000.  That's without them blowing the SUV apart either so once they do disassembly I expect that number to go up, plus the cost of the rental car.

I'm sure some of this is Porsche parts costs but alot of it is due to the way the modern cars are designed.  They're designed to break on impact basically, plus have things like parking sensors and all sorts of other electronica in places that never had that stuff before.

Luckily the guy that hit her has insurance.....

1 2 3 4 5 ... 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YUMSDrCjkAaGz3NcJHI225xLYjJ8QwuVnCAV2rlyiPq2JpM071mAUDSjsPf7AQdK