1 2 3 4 5 ... 8
dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/3/22 1:28 p.m.

I'm liking the Exocet idea too. You're close enough to Atlanta (and have reasons to go visit regardless) to go pick up the frame yourself. Set up both cars next to each other in the garage and start swapping parts. You might even be able to convince some folks to come spend a weekend helping!

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/3/22 1:29 p.m.

In reply to dyintorace :

Heck, hump the parts down to the Challenge and it'll be done for you.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
4/3/22 1:29 p.m.

In reply to dyintorace :

Ha!

That assumes I have a garage!! laugh

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
4/3/22 1:34 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Haha!

rustomatic
rustomatic Reader
4/3/22 7:04 p.m.

Condolences on the wreck--that looks nasty, but you're hopefully without lasting injuries.  Maybe you've also got a back-up car . . .

AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/4/22 9:45 a.m.

Glad you're ok, I'm sure you'll figure out something to do with the car. 

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/4/22 10:46 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

In reply to dyintorace :

This is the way.   Best overbudget build of the entire challenge right here.  

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/4/22 11:25 a.m.
nocones said:
Keith Tanner said:

In reply to dyintorace :

This is the way.   Best overbudget build of the entire challenge right here.  

But can we do it in 24 hours in the parking lot?

I think we can.

Then run the challenge and the track day on Monday.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/4/22 11:26 a.m.

By the way, I'd be first in line to help on that plb.

nocones
4/4/22 1:40 p.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

I am down to wrench on the Parkin Lot Exocet

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/4/22 1:56 p.m.

Damn. So sorry to see that happen. 

I'm pretty sure if I were in your shoes I'd be ordering a Exocet kit, but that's me. 

Seems like with the sheer number of NBs out there you could find a clean title tub. What about trolling the Exocet builder forums looking a tub/body panels someone isnt using anymore and wants to get rid of?

metty
metty Reader
4/4/22 1:57 p.m.

i would love to have that drivetrain for the MGB-GT im restoring at the moment...how far are you from Cornelius NC?

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
4/4/22 2:48 p.m.

I now have 5 volunteers for a parking lot Exocet build, and I haven't even said I'm building one! Haha!!

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/4/22 2:51 p.m.

Make that 6!

dherr (Forum Supporter)
dherr (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/4/22 2:55 p.m.

Well here are two nb shells with titles.....

https://www.facebook.com/groups/167019696793326/permalink/1225699174258701/

Usual disclaimers apply, NMNA, etc...

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
4/4/22 7:51 p.m.

In reply to dherr (Forum Supporter) :

Good link.  Thanks!

It's an old ad.  He won't sell a clean title car for $700- it's $1200.  But that's a bare bones tub.  It's closer to $2000 with a few needed body panels.  It would still need a paint job, and I'd have to bring my own subframes and suspension...

Rotaryracer
Rotaryracer Reader
4/5/22 10:05 a.m.

I haven't done the math to know if it will be more or less than an Exocet (my guess is more, particularly after crating/shipping comes into play), but what about a 7-style clone?  The GBS Zero looks pretty tasty, and the MK Indy looks to be in the mix.  New chassis and bits to transplant all your go-fast stuff into, then strip/part out whatever is left of the carcass?

A_500x500__1efc7569-0f2e-496b-8a67-116785d9c792.jpg

Keith Tanner
4/5/22 10:09 a.m.

In reply to Rotaryracer :

The advantage to that is that suspension damage from the crash becomes moot. And they're several hundred pounds lighter than an Exocet. You're a whole lot more exposed, it's more motorcycle than car. That's a pretty solid suggestion, and by the time you've replaced damaged parts from the crash for the Exocet it may not actually be much more expensive.

Trying to package the turbo will likely be a challenge, but honestly turbos don't suit them.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
4/5/22 10:21 a.m.

I know this is hard to believe, but I don't think the chassis or suspension suffered damage in the crash. 

The car had some pretty significant rust damage forward of the strut towers which I was unaware of. My initial impact was a diagonal hit to the front left corner, which folded the front toward the passenger side at the weak spot- the rust. It also absorbed some energy (which probably helped me survive). 

The subframes and suspension mounting points appear undamaged. 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
4/5/22 10:28 a.m.

Assuming you just need a front clip? Maybe move that over from the salvage tub.

Miata front chassis comes off with a drill bit and a bit of chiseling. New one plugs into a couple of stubb/receivers. Hard to get wrong. Terrifying until you do one, but maybe an option. Would save a lot of time doing the rest of the parts swap and keep it more factory assembled.

nocones
4/5/22 10:39 a.m.
NOHOME said:

Unlikely to do this in a hotel parking lot but we can try.

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/5/22 10:49 a.m.

In reply to Rotaryracer :

They have those set up for a Duratec 2.5 and NC 6 speed too. So tasty. 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
4/5/22 11:43 a.m.
Rotaryracer said:

I haven't done the math to know if it will be more or less than an Exocet (my guess is more, particularly after crating/shipping comes into play), but what about a 7-style clone?  The GBS Zero looks pretty tasty, and the MK Indy looks to be in the mix.  New chassis and bits to transplant all your go-fast stuff into, then strip/part out whatever is left of the carcass?

A_500x500__1efc7569-0f2e-496b-8a67-116785d9c792.jpg

I love those ideas. 

But a quick look at the pricing looks to me like the cost will be at least 2-3X the cost of an Exocet. And I don't see them as "Parking lot build friendly"

Keith Tanner
4/5/22 12:30 p.m.
SV reX said:

I know this is hard to believe, but I don't think the chassis or suspension suffered damage in the crash. 

The car had some pretty significant rust damage forward of the strut towers which I was unaware of. My initial impact was a diagonal hit to the front left corner, which folded the front toward the passenger side at the weak spot- the rust. It also absorbed some energy (which probably helped me survive). 

Sorry, I thought there was mention of subframe and suspension damage. 

Sevens are not as easy a build as an Exocet (nothing is) but they are super cool and very different to drive. 

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/5/22 12:50 p.m.
SV reX said:

I believe it.  Have you checked to see what brand new parts cost from Mazda?  You may be pleasantly surprised. 

1 2 3 4 5 ... 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JC6MQsf7JVkbu0wh5loKMWU7jjlCJAnzxEuz9l3Ha7HZdySpKeHekBO6i1RlmEjQ