1 2 3 ... 5
Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy PowerDork
3/26/22 9:19 a.m.

Indy kid #1 here. My dad told me I had to start this build log before I picked up the car. We're on our way now, so I guess I'm cutting it a little close, but oh well. XD 

Left this morning at about 7:25 to go get the car from John Welsh, about a four and a half hour drive. Ran into some snow on the way, as well as absurdly high gas prices. 40+ mpg is really going to be a blessing.

This'll be my first car and the one I learn to drive on, so I've been given the task of naming it and decided to go with a Star Trek theme in christening it Voyager. So, this build log will (of course) have to be in the style of a Captain's log. Stardate and everything. 

Dirtydog (Forum Supporter)
Dirtydog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/26/22 10:19 a.m.

Good for you.  I'm pretty sure John has the dilithium crystals fully charged, so that you can "give it all she's got".   Good luck, and safe travels with Dad.

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
3/26/22 10:49 a.m.

Gotta stop at a Loves on every trip, this is a better choice than that xB I was selling

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
3/26/22 11:02 a.m.

I recognize you two smiley!  Good morning and safe travels.  Congrats on the new-to-you car!

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
3/26/22 11:04 a.m.

Youve grown since 2019!

As a recent Prius owner, i dig them. No sporting attributes at all, but a good car.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy PowerDork
3/26/22 2:30 p.m.

Indy kid #1 here-

Success! Voyager has been successfully tractored onto the docking clamps and is in tow.

She's a great car with even greater gas mileage. I took her for a quick spin around the parking lot, and can't wait for my lisense to drive her to school.

John was wonderful about telling us all about the car and it's perks and oddities. We were even able to drive by Cedar Point and see Lake Erie!

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/26/22 2:33 p.m.

Loaded up and headed out... 

Live long, and prosper! 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/26/22 3:07 p.m.

Glad you guys found a good one.  All this Prius talk is tempting me and I have no need for one.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/26/22 3:29 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

"...no need for one" says the guy shopping 8.1 L trucks.  Seems like a Prius would be the perfect companion to "large truck ownership."   It works for me.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/26/22 9:19 p.m.

In reply to Indy - Guy :

Here is written reminder of a few things we talked about.  

Refresh your worn trunk latch with this $9.00

Refresh your key fob for $11.00

I had your 12v battery on a low charge for a couple of days.  The car is now starting on its own, which is good but until you really get driving it, it might need more charging.  If it can't be saved, about the cheapest battery anywhere is this  $188 AC Delco.  Also should be noted that Prius don't like weak batteries.  Keep that tractor battery in the trunk too, just in case the original battery can't be saved or acts up.  

El Cheapo $88 cat pipe and you'll want a O2 sensor

OBD2 reader that I use, Panlong and the Amazon 20% promo code: JD3JHWBE gotten from this Dr Prius article

I use the Torque Pro App which only works with Android.  You will then want to download the special, free software for Prius

Westlakes at Walmart are the cheapest tires you can buy at $52 each.  Your call if you want a better tire.  My fleet runs on Falken 201s which are rated for 65k miles.  They used to be in the $60 range.  I see now they are running in the $80 range so maybe something else.  Factory size is 185-65-15.  I noticed that your car is wearing 195-60-15.  Really, about the same size.  I bet that's what the shop had in stock the day the tires were bought.  I just wanted to point it out.  If you're ordering the 185's will likely be cheaper.  Or, if you are shopping used tires, shop both sizes.  

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy PowerDork
3/26/22 9:26 p.m.

Indy-Kid #1 did a good job getting this log started.  She's definitely excited.

We arrived at home, I mean Star Base, safely before dark. Having traveled 521 miles and consuming $182 in fuel.

Tired.

Here's Voyager with the rest of the Star Fleet:

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy PowerDork
3/26/22 9:29 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Thanks again John yes

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy PowerDork
3/26/22 9:32 p.m.

And here's the mandatory pic at the gas station, I mean getting some more Di-Lithium Crystal's:

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/26/22 9:37 p.m.

521 miles and consuming $182 in fuel

If $4 per gal average then 45 gal and 11.5 mpg.

You're gonna love 40 mpg!  

Same trip, 13 gal or $52 in fuel at $4 per gal. 

That's like a 71% savings!!!!  Or said another way, "costs only 29% of what it costs to run the van."  Yeah, a van towing a car which the Prius can't do.  The van has double the seating capacity but cost more than twice to run.  As a big family, you could travel in 2 Prius cheaper than one van.  At least fuel costs.  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/26/22 9:45 p.m.

Speaking of Prius gas gauge...

The gauge is a bar graph.  The expected operation is you will get down to just one bar remaining, but when that one bar begins to flash, there will be a temporary warning on the center screen that reads "low fuel", as well as a one time beep.  This is now like other cars giving you the "low fuel warning.  Sadly the Prius does not provide a "distance to empty" estimate.  But, know that when you get to the flashing one and only bar, YOU STILL HAVE 2 GALLONS, so remember to buy gas then IN THE NEXT 80 MILES!  

Or, just be like me and when the one bar flashes, buy gas and your 11 gallon tank will take just 9 gallons.  

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
3/26/22 10:01 p.m.

The Prius is an excellent choice!

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy PowerDork
3/27/22 1:15 p.m.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/27/22 2:22 p.m.

In reply to Indy - Guy :

Kids are expensive but you already knew that.

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps SuperDork
3/29/22 4:12 p.m.

Congrats on the new ride Indy Kid1!

BBC

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy PowerDork
3/29/22 5:49 p.m.

Thanks guys.

As you can see, Indy-Kid #1 is super excited and channelling that energy towards deep cleaning the interior

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy PowerDork
3/29/22 5:52 p.m.

I forgot to take a before pic, so you'll have to take my word for it, but the headlights were very faded.  A few minutes with the polisher and some rubbing compound and they look great again:

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
3/29/22 7:24 p.m.
Indy - Guy said:

Indy-Kid #1 did a good job getting this log started.  She's definitely excited.

We arrived at home, I mean Star Base, safely before dark. Having traveled 521 miles and consuming $182 in fuel.

Tired.

I like the dichotomy in these shots; multiple V8 engines, some even supercharged, and one hybrid.   The Jaaaaags look hungry in the first shot!

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy PowerDork
3/29/22 9:02 p.m.
wawazat said:
Indy - Guy said:

....   The Jaaaaags look hungry in the first shot!

Oh, they are indeed Hungry:  feeding them at the rate of 15 mpg with the expensive premium variety is $$$$ crying

So, the mid 40's the Prius will get is gonna be very much appreciated.yes

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
3/29/22 10:26 p.m.

Haha!  They look like they're sizing up the meal the van is dragging in for them Brian!  Dinner!

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
3/30/22 5:11 a.m.

Neat build. I'll be following this one - I have a soft spot for the Prius.  The support and DIY and ease of repairs reminds me a lot of my old Saturn. 
Glad John helped you out, he's a wealth of know how for these cars. 

Anyhow, keep up the good work. I am enjoying this so far. Make it right then make it yours somehow. Good luck!

1 2 3 ... 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
u21mkVQuiu88SKh0Z8MKdShhJoGsRNEzrGGcGLbjMjqxqIEzsHpa5cX26GnYW3T5