1 2 3 4 5 6
Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
11/29/22 8:47 p.m.

Back at it today as the temp wasn't as cold as it should be here in Michigan....

I didn't get very far, but I did install a Holley 12.3" pro dash...

cheeky

I did move the broken 6l80 though to a movable platform to goto another building tho... I love lifting 200# transmissions myself.

Now I did get a wild hare and I'm probably going to redo the C4 trans my dad built about 30 yrs ago with some updates since then for better reliability. That means all this E36 M3 will get installed.

And that's where I'm stopping today.

Until next time: minitrucks rule!!!

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
12/3/22 2:07 p.m.

Ok I got a hour to monkey with something on this project....

I took this:

To this:

Nothing but sockets and some external snap ring pliers to get to this point unlike transmissions of today with the plethora of specialty tools for just one subassembly...

I had to take it apart because I knew this was inside it, even though my dad built this 30-ish years ago???

Yes, that mouse pee and poop after all these years sitting....

But overall, a few needed updates and this unit is ready for 30psi of still not great power....

Can see it's never been used since rebuild...

Goal is to have this rebuilt rebuild done by Jan 1 and installed, so a driveshaft can be made.

Until next time: minitrucks rule!!

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
12/17/22 9:15 p.m.

Update time even though time is limited and I'm buried under a foot of white fluffy nose candy looking bullE36 M3....

Since I'm largely house bound, I turned on the garage stove and started to clean up the extension housing.

Lots of raised "oxidation" from mouse pee and horrible paint. I started with a 4" wire wheel on a drill before moving onto using a file for the nasty high spots...

I hate red. Still need to hit the blasting cabinet, but should be a shorter time....

Until next time: minitrucks rule!

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
12/17/22 11:16 p.m.

Ok, ok, ok...

I couldn't leave well enough alone....

I still hate red. Ready for the blasting cabinet now.

Until next time: minitrucks rule!

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
12/22/22 6:10 p.m.

This update brought to you by money!!!

So I spent it wisely...

A paper and rubber kit (still need the Teflon governor seals to replace the iron ones), rear sprag roller and spring kit, and a performance flex band. Best $53 spent so far. Just another step closer to completion.

Until next time, minitrucks rule!!

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/22/22 6:13 p.m.

In reply to Ranger50 :

berkeley yeah, love seeing the progress on this!

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
12/30/22 2:03 p.m.

Well, the trans won't be done by the end of the month, but it is a step closer as of today. Stupid weather and work schedule.....

Took the short drive north to see my motorcycle buddy, Ed, at E&V Engineering and have the case and extension housing blasted. Best $40 I spent.

Now, I need to place a Summit order for some other parts as I reassemble.

Until next time, minitrucks rule!!

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
1/5/23 9:41 a.m.

Parts are slowly rolling in....

New Teflon seal kit to replace the old cast iron rings...

Now to wait for this order to come in....

$600 at summit went fast. Still more to go too....

Until next time,  minitrucks rule!

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) UberDork
1/5/23 6:24 p.m.

Progress! 

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
1/7/23 9:28 a.m.

Mail call!!!!

I love Summit goodies...

Now to find time and heat(!) to put this together...

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
1/8/23 8:51 a.m.

Slowly... maybe it will get done this week...

Of course Ford had to have different length bolts between flywheel and flexplate.... Oh well.

Until next time, minitrucks rule!

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
1/14/23 1:13 a.m.

Today, I turned the heat on and made a little progress towards something....

I first took the tape off the case and sprayed it out with brake cleaner as it had leftover blasting grit in it. Good thing the case is very open unlike most transmissions now. Thanks GM. frown

Anyway, I put on new Teflon seals for the governor even tho it won't be used for anything.

I spent most of my time getting high from brake cleaner as most of the parts are covered in old trans goo that is solidly solidified. I got most of the back end built out now...

This made a good stopping point for right now. Next up is to get the other two drums, pump, front band and servo, input shaft, bellhousing, and pan installed to paint it something besides red.

More things to come... wink

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
1/17/23 6:54 a.m.

Time for a nightshift insomnia induced update. 
I had the pellet stove on OT to warm up the garage and keep it warmed up over the past few days. So today, 1/17/23, I woke up laid in bed from 3-330am, before I needed to go fill the pellets up in the hopper and in turn empty yet another 50gal trash can. surprise In doing so, I knew I wasn't going to be able to go back to bed and sleep, so I turned back on finishing up this half done transmission sitting on the toolbox.... Mostly I spent my time getting a brain cell depleting buzz from brake clean removing the previously posted about hardened trans goo or wire wheeling rust and paint off bolts...

This is where I left off:

I put both direct and low/reverse drums in along with the intermediate flex band.

Mmmmmm, shiny.

And "done"!

But it's not really done done. Still need to put in a valve body, paint, cooler fittings, and some other miscellaneous crap that I'm forgetting....

Until next time, minitrucks (this E36 M3box especially) rule!!!

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
1/19/23 10:47 a.m.

Time to kill some brain cells in a heated enclosed garage.....

Had to tape off everything not to be the painted color...

First coat applied.

Awaiting the 1hr dry time to put on a second and final coat....

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
1/19/23 11:39 a.m.

Second coat applied.

and done! Pending other parts and tweaks. wink

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
1/19/23 10:12 p.m.

We shall see how the Chinese built sold by sketchy aussies in the USA works out...

Now, it's purty.

Until next time, minitrucks rule!!

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
1/23/23 9:47 p.m.

It's time to party....

Until next time, minitrucks rule!!

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) UberDork
1/24/23 1:18 p.m.

I just pulled my 5r55 apart and I don't think I used but one specialty tool minus snap ring pliers and sockets also. 

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
2/6/23 8:21 p.m.

One step forward:

2 steps back:

only because it wasn't included in the box. crying

Until next time: minitrucks rule!!

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
2/26/23 5:10 p.m.

Currently waiting on a shipment of parts from apparently Australia to finish the transmission... I put in a rockauto all aluminum radiator because I splurged... and the mother berkeleyer don't fit worth a E36 M3.

Sigh. Guess I'll make my berkeleying own now.

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
2/28/23 3:18 p.m.

FedEx dropped off a package I didn't even get the right tracking number for apparently...

It might be the finest in Chinese Australian materials.... But it will finish the transbrake install up. It even gives me a transmission dipstick to mangle to fit, because it's made for a v8 bellhousing pattern not the 4cyl. The valve covers were a polished die cast aluminum throw-ins to get free shipping. I don't expect a lot for $50. The 347 is just a sticker. devil

Until next time (once all this white E36 M3 and ice disappears), minitrucks rule!!!

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
4/10/23 6:05 p.m.

Time to get back on this thing as winter has largely left for the season.

Took the kids to dirty myrtle for spring break, so now it's my time again...

First I had to install this little piece to make sure the trans brake will work...

then I put it together for the last time until.... 

Dipstick installed but needs mods, pan on permanently, brake solenoid in place, and a missing cooler fitting...

Because, well, it's a stupid setup. I intended to install AN fittings to go -6 from 1/8" nps... But. indecision

$8, now $13 from summit, for the fitting gone... $45 tap overnighted... I love working on vehicles.

Until next time; minitrucks rule!!!

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
4/11/23 7:08 p.m.

Brown Santa showed up today...

I'm glad MSC is still around, even if I did have to pay $13 in shipping. I could have spent less with a Chinese version but the made in the us version wasn't much more.

I went ahead and removed the other fitting first and chased those threads...

Then the other fitting I had left, went in like buttah....

Now it's time to wait for tomorrow and brown Santa's return with additional fittings.

Until next time; minitrucks rule!!

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
4/13/23 12:15 a.m.

Brown Santa showed up again...

It resulted in a 98% finished transmission now!

Of course, still have to fab a new tab for the dipstick, wire trans brake, adjust the bands, make cooler lines, change over the motor from the previous manual to now an automatic...

So for now, until next time; minitrucks rule!!

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
4/13/23 11:47 a.m.

So, I have a clunker update. I went and bought a ECU bracket that mounts a Holley terminator X into a fox body mustang, to help get closer to the free shipping from Summit, that mounts under the passenger seat. It doesn't fit, but I expected that. Looks like I'm going to make a similar bracket that uses the outside seat bolts and mounting the ECU like Holley wants with the wiring harness under the carpet but this will place the LEDs facing the door panel.

Just one more thing to make... frown

Until next time; minitrucks rule!!

1 2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fcUWIi7hXFjHNSNNBTKa9yJaBqEsTe4bly18Xz2BtoMxZyRqcIkWuA6q6KPsx8Jx