1 2
echoechoecho
echoechoecho New Reader
2/16/15 9:01 p.m.

Bluesmobile! from the movie Blues Brothers, "It's a hundred and six miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses. Hit it!" Hoon it like they did lol

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
2/16/15 9:35 p.m.

You'll probably find surface rust under the vinyl that will need to be dealt with. I'd remove it anyways, I hate that landau roof look.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/16/15 10:12 p.m.

In reply to echoechoecho:

Wrong brand, but the thought crossed my mind regardless.

petegossett
2/16/15 10:14 p.m.

In reply to Kenny_McCormic:

Good point, especially with the cracks in it I'm sure plenty of water has been trapped in there.

echoechoecho
echoechoecho New Reader
2/16/15 10:42 p.m.
petegossett wrote: In reply to echoechoecho: Wrong brand, but the thought crossed my mind regardless.

In Blues Brothers 2000 they had a 1990 Ford ltd Crown Vic, but the first one is better.

Richard Nixon
Richard Nixon SuperDork
2/17/15 5:30 a.m.

You have an excellent base for a sleeper, so maybe hold off on festooning it with such atrocities as black paint or wagon wheels.

petegossett
2/17/15 6:50 a.m.

In reply to Richard Nixon:

You're saying I shouldn't do a Liberace-theme???

petegossett
2/17/15 8:59 a.m.

So I haven't had much luck finding DIY solutions for the vinyl top on teh interwebz. Basically just people stating how much of a PITA removal of the top it, and others showing how replacement is 3-easy steps(usually while trying to sell a new $300-$400 top).

What I think I'd like is some type of fabric I could stretch over the existing top, that would contour to the roof & C-pillars and o could adhere it with the industrial 3M spray adhesive. It doesn't need to be any particular type of fabric, as I'm planning on going over it with PlastiDip to get the color I want & to provide weather protection.

I'm just looking for cheap, stretchable fabric to glue over the existing top & it's flaws, before coating it with PlastiDip. Any suggestions???

The_Jed
The_Jed UberDork
2/17/15 9:13 a.m.

Bright red/orange shag carpet!

You could call it Carrot Top!!!

petegossett
2/17/15 11:58 a.m.

In reply to The_Jed:

LMAO!!!

I'm not sure how PlastiDip would look/act on top of shag carpet, but I need to test it out on a scrap piece just to find out!

The_Jed
The_Jed UberDork
2/19/15 7:39 a.m.

To be specific, pre roids and synthol Carrot Top:

I keep picturing puffy red curls blowing in the wind where the landau top used to be.

petegossett
2/19/15 8:10 a.m.

In reply to The_Jed:

I found a thread on crownvic.net documenting someone removing the stock landau top...there's 52 holes to weld/fill underneath, and a couple areas that need filler to level back out. So I think I'll just try repair/fill the existing cracks the best I can(NuVinyl? ) before applying PlastiDip.

Oh, and do you know if any parts from late-model P71s/Marauders/Sports are bolt-on upgrades for this generation?

The_Jed
The_Jed UberDork
2/19/15 9:02 a.m.

I think the front and rear springs up to '02 will swap right in, '03 and up only the rears fit. I'm not 100% sure, though, I'm still kind of new to the Panther platform myself.

I think Aussie put P71 springs in his Ranchero.

The_Jed
The_Jed UberDork
2/19/15 9:06 a.m.

I would assume an Exploder top end would wake it up a bit. I'm not sure about the whole throttle-body-facing-the-wrong-direction thing, though.

'98-'02 Panthers have bigger, better brakes, but they require 16" wheels.

dropstep
dropstep Reader
2/19/15 5:05 p.m.

I once pulled the top off one of these cars, I wouldn't recommend it unless your replacing it right away. they sit in a fiberglass insert and look horrible. trying to find anything remotely clean here that hasn't been derbied is getting crazy. id love to have another one for a DD

petegossett
2/19/15 6:29 p.m.

In reply to dropstep:

Feel free to make an offer - I haven't even had a chance to get it off the trailer.

dropstep
dropstep Reader
2/19/15 7:40 p.m.

my wife would shoot me, but wear are you located?

petegossett
2/19/15 9:19 p.m.

On the other side of Indiana from you, 3-miles across the state line into IL. Looks like 190 miles each way, although I do have a friend outside Huntington & make it over to the Ft. Wayne area occasionally.

petegossett
3/9/15 7:21 p.m.

Well that was a short and uneventful project...I just sold it this evening. Coincidentally, about 10-minutes after I got it running for the first time. I'm sad to see it go, but I certainly have plenty of other distractions - both time-wise AND financially! I sold it for $750, which was way too cheap, but it was also to a friend-of-a-friend. I'm going to split the profit with my buddy I got the car from too, but that still works out ok considering I had nothing but a few hours and ~$20 in gas into it!

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
3/9/15 7:53 p.m.

You may discover rust under the vinyl, otherwise we stripped the RX3 vinyl and it came off pretty well, amount and brand of bonding agent can vary

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
E9aSOr2HsLnZwecGeeMrKJssF5Kk9Og2bEfOuGKnJTYZXQ9E9ZJ0EQgGSruIGUZh