1 ... 4 5 6
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltimaDork
9/23/24 1:52 p.m.
J.A. Ackley said:

Hey, it was good seeing a GRM member out in the wild!

Good meeting you as well, some posts from Overmountain are over in the L2wd car thread here if you want to check them out.

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
9/23/24 2:21 p.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

Awesome. Got to check that out!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltimaDork
9/30/24 1:58 p.m.

A brief detour into steering stuff- I have been slowly getting something together on this front although I'm unsure whether I'll use it.  The initial thought was that quicker steering would be better, and since inexplicably nobody makes a quick rack for these yet (it's a non-power rack where are you on this, quaife?) and since shorter steering arms increase the forces on the tierods and stuff (which is scary) I purchased a 1.5:1 afco quickener cheap on ebay.  The huge chunky quickener since the tiny aluminum ones scare me, it would need to go in the column after the factory EPS motor:

So, because the set screw type splined couplers are also scary, I found some Empi pinch bolt couplers for the quickener itself, and through a bit of guess and check, figured out that the newer Corolla has a steering column segment that could be chopped up to make adapters.  Then through favors from friends, cut up and machined and welded the Corolla shaft and made a BRZ-AFCO-BRZ pair of couplers:

That makes this, when assembled:

You might be thinking "that's gonna take up too much space" but part of the concept for this car is to shove the human ballast as far rearward as reasonably possible, and with that in mind it actually looks like it'd work pretty well and still leave plenty of collapsible column below it:

Now, I still don't love this setup- every coupler, and the quickener itself, is another potential failure point.  And the real kicker- I've noticed that as I get faster, I'm doing a lot less windmilling of the wheel and the steering ratio in the L2wd car seems more and more like it's just fine; I'm not sure I'm gonna use this thing at all!  But it's nice to have the option, I suppose, and I can delay this choice pretty much up to the moment the steering column support gets welded to the dash bar.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
9/30/24 2:07 p.m.

Could you design a modular column support to have the option to switch back and forth for different rallies? Id suspect that some would favor much quicker steering than others.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltimaDork
9/30/24 2:10 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

Totally could, and if I were to do this I'd definitely make a "dummy" shaft to swap out for the quickener if needed- it's the potential for mid-rally failure that worries me, though, and this stuff all weighs something too.  We just got back from the most turns-per-mile rally on the calendar and I didn't really feel the need for quicker steering, which is why I'm thinking about this right now.  Those same roads last year, in the same car, were a big reason I was thinking I needed it in the first place.

fidelity101
fidelity101 UberDork
9/30/24 2:33 p.m.

the things that really made my rally car work as a rally car is 

• high rear end ratio
  • proper LSD 
  • steering rack quickener w/ EPAS

yeah shocks and a more powerful motor is great too but honestly those 3 items really transform the car into competitiveness 

fidelity101
fidelity101 UberDork
9/30/24 2:33 p.m.

the things that really made my rally car work as a rally car is 

• high rear end ratio
  • proper LSD 
  • steering rack quickener w/ EPAS

yeah shocks and a more powerful motor is great too but honestly those 3 items really transform the car into competitiveness 

1 ... 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6YfMa6mqM5QjgQqQXxmGu0n3imo7m0KtdMTQs2wXPdNmG5L95yeYxiyfQEx8EuFg