1 ... 5 6 7
Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/9/24 2:02 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

In reply to fidelity101 :

Does it?  I thought u-joint angles at both ends of the driveshaft were supposed to be within .5deg as a general rule, but I am willing to learn otherwise.

Within .5 but also less than 2-3 degrees absolute angle. depending on how fast you are spinning it.

I shoot for zero degrees in the black RX-7 because that sucker is spinning hard and you can feel 1 degree even if the two joints are complementary.  It's more an issue under cruise or coast and not heavy load.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/9/24 7:59 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

In reply to GladlyTheCrossEyedBear :

Yep, planning on a single piece- critical speed for a 3" steel driveshaft at this length will still be well past the top of 5th gear, so we should be ok.  If I have issues I could return to a 2 piece design but it hopefully won't be necessary.

You're shortening it by 8" on an already short wheelbase car, a 1 piece shaft will definitely be everything you need. Plus less spinny bits to break

i love what you're doing, keep it up. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltimaDork
10/14/24 9:27 a.m.

With a bit more trimming, the tunnel was ready for another fitup:

And then I just decided it wasn't going to get any closer to perfect so I zapped the transmission and support bearing mounts to the car:

Pulled the engine/transmission out again (really tight with the cross support welded under the car but it worked):

Did a bunch more welding until I was nearly out of argon, ending up here:

Then set about making templates for when I get a refill- a giant roll of this white paper was pretty cheap and it's way nicer than hoarding and chopping up cardboard:

And the driveshaft showed up already!  Axle Exchange in NJ was easy to work with and very prompt, it was just "BRZ?  What length?  OK, you'll have it this week" and it uses normal 1310 u-joints so I can have a spare easily.  Despite the larger diameter and steel construction, it's still 5lbs lighter than the stock 2-piece:

fidelity101
fidelity101 UberDork
10/14/24 12:45 p.m.

why not an aluminum shaft? 

captainawesome
captainawesome Dork
10/14/24 1:05 p.m.

Hopefully you don't need the center support bearing. With the Kpower kit it was 5.5" shorter and had lots of vibration but that was aluminum. I think steel is more forgiving with harmonics?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltimaDork
10/14/24 1:49 p.m.

In reply to fidelity101 :

Rocks.  Might do one if I'm chasing tenths later and keep the steel one as a spare.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltimaDork
10/14/24 1:50 p.m.

In reply to captainawesome :

Did you check drivetrain angles with the Kpower stuff?  Wouldn't be the first kit that failed to account for something like that.

captainawesome
captainawesome Dork
10/14/24 1:52 p.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

Never did, but when I shortened the stock one I had to use a spacer to get proper driveline angles, so you may be on to something with that. It was roughly a 1/2" drop if I remember correctly.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltimaDork
10/14/24 2:01 p.m.

In reply to captainawesome :

That's a LOT, at least based on the pretty mild shimming I've been doing to place this tunnel- hopefully that was it, and if not I'll find out the fun way.

captainawesome
captainawesome Dork
10/14/24 2:34 p.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

It sounds like you are going through more rigorous planning in this aspect than Kpower did, so I bet you are going to be fine. They did a great job with some of the kit and other parts were not well thought out. The shifter setup, driveshaft, and cooling system were the most egregious offenders.

paperpaper
paperpaper Reader
10/17/24 2:30 p.m.

Why not a carbon fiber driveshaft like Jesus 02wd intended?

Recon1342
Recon1342 UltraDork
10/17/24 3:35 p.m.

In reply to paperpaper :

Carbon fiber has less than phenomenal impact strength...

fidelity101
fidelity101 UberDork
10/17/24 4:19 p.m.
paperpaper said:

Why not a carbon fiber driveshaft like Jesus 02wd intended?

they unwrap in rally

1 ... 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jYhmVQHe0jzv4aflfvtcOzZdHmu1bYe7YC9jgHcK2zfrL5sPuSejG7UAC8vfAT8n