Kyle_Vick
Kyle_Vick New Reader
6/20/24 12:42 p.m.

Hello everyone, my name is Kyle and I am in Northern Michigan. I recently found this 2002 while browsing Facebook Marketplace for stuff I do not need. This guy was just selling it as he received it in another trade. I asked him if he wanted a old 4 wheeler I had for it and he even offered to deliver the car to me for the trade. He was selling it with no title, but oddly enough another person messaged him on the ad and told him they have the title from 15 years ago. After we did the trade he put me in touch with the old owner and I learned a lot about the history of the car and received the title. I guess the old owner saw it sitting in a side yard when he traveled back and forth for work and he ended up making an offer on it one day. It was almost as rusty back then (20 years ago) as it is today. He got it running and drove it back and forth to work for a few years after that. He offered the car to another person for body work on his Vanagon, but that guy passed away after that. Now I have it.

I have been on the hunt for one of these for close to 15 years, but one hasn't crossed my path until now. I also have a really clean 77 Celica, decently clean 76 Wagoneer, and I am also restoring a 71 Cutlass 442. I have done a lot of steel work on Jeeps over the years and recently replaced the front roof skin on my Jeep XJ. I need some encouragement for this project as it is going to be a big one. There was more mouse nests and crap in this than I have ever seen in a car. There is lots of rust in the usual areas for these cars, but I think it can be saved. Please let me know your thoughts. 

First thought is to fix the gnawed-through wires and plug wires and get it running.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/20/24 1:11 p.m.

I love these cars. Excited to follow along!

Slow_M
Slow_M Reader
6/21/24 2:58 a.m.

This is the perfect candidate for a Group 5 clone. Original engine, modern turbo, modern safety equipment, standalone ECU, center lock wheels, best transmission you can afford. 

Can you get sheet metal for these?

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
6/21/24 7:05 a.m.

Looks salvageable, I agree get it moving first then choose a path.

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/21/24 7:39 a.m.

Sweet little ride!  I'm in to follow!  Chargin3737 on instagram likes to swap honda motors into them, if you're into that type of thing.

Kyle_Vick
Kyle_Vick New Reader
6/21/24 8:42 a.m.

In reply to Slow_M :

Oh yeah, pretty much everything is available for them. That sounds like an awesome build! Not sure if I would go turbo or side drafts.

Recon1342
Recon1342 UltraDork
6/21/24 9:41 a.m.

Following, because sheet metal work!

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/21/24 9:52 a.m.

following

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/24/24 12:26 p.m.

Great colour combo!