rowboat
rowboat New Reader
9/10/21 7:00 p.m.

When i was first looking at a vehicle i wanted to get into the world of mini trucks but im in MN, the rust bucket country, and i couldn't find any in good shape. I turned to old square bodies but no luck there either for what i wanted. Finally i stumbled upon this Renault and fell in love with the body style and character.

upon purchase the convertible top was torn open but it can with a new top in the box still. so i set to tearing it off and getting  the new one on in its place. had only drove it home and then to take a picture somewhere and then she decided to quite on me. The starting system quite on me as well as the head gasket is blown/warped and oil is leaking out of the spark plugs 3 +4 . as far as i can tell those are my only issue with the vehicle at the moment

as far as my next steps... thats to be decided. im mapping out the dimensions on the space available. but i want to

• find a fwd 4cyl 
  • cat-back the exhaust
  • get new fuel and break lines
  •  replace the recalled heater core
  • suspension touchup
  • and finally the paintjob

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit UltraDork
9/10/21 7:40 p.m.

Getting a new soft top in the box was an amazing thing. 

Not bad looking for it's age. How many miles are on the car?

Turbine
Turbine GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/10/21 7:55 p.m.

Oh man, this is cool! 

slowbird
slowbird UltraDork
9/11/21 7:54 p.m.

Oh wow, I've never seen a convertible one of these. Nice!

bOttOmfeeder
bOttOmfeeder New Reader
9/12/21 11:47 a.m.

My brother's old roommate had a GTA convertible.  He went to replace the failed starter and learned you have to PULL THE ENGINE to replace the starter.   Had to get it towed in pieces. 

Wonderful French engineering.  

rowboat
rowboat New Reader
9/12/21 3:14 p.m.

In reply to Donebrokeit :

the odometer went out at 79601 but I'd say shes bout mid 80's, the new soft top was definitely a blessing- putting it on gave me a good idea of how the car was built and laid out.

rowboat
rowboat New Reader
9/12/21 9:38 p.m.

turns out plenty of the parts i needed for the engine bay are on ebay or in some cars not far from me so cylinder head rebuild as well as custom wiring harness are next in the upcoming weeks.

matthewmcl
matthewmcl HalfDork
10/2/21 2:52 p.m.

Saw this at the local yard today. I am far away, but if there is something you want me to check for, let me know. I doubt I will make it back before next weekend, but I also doubt many people will be pulling parts off of this.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nYmIJyjNsP1QkJSh50ulkzwfeeoFfj0wK3DQKzMOYRjLScg2SxoPsiUPPHx6kQ3s