1 2
eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
10/1/24 11:25 a.m.
Patrick said:

I may have an s10 radiator on the shelf, new, that will be cheap because i am sick of looking at piles of stuff. I definitely have some s10 of this era stuff that I would much rather pass along to you than just dump on craigslist

I may need to schedule another trip northeast.  Been meaning to wander up to Summit again sometime and see if there is anything cool in the discount section.  Not to mention, I wouldn't mind seeing the 57 again before it sells.  I'd love to have it, especially since I have a tribute build in my head that doesn't require a grille or bumper, but I'm not really in a position to buy something like that right now.  Not sure if I have anything in the stash you'd be interested in, but I'll take a tour of my garage soon.

Did a bit of looking online.  Looks like either dexcool mixed with green coolant, or very aged dexcool.  Either way, will definitely need to flush it.  I'm leery of selling the engine at anything more than a core price, too.  Too bad the heads are iron.  If they were aluminum, I could do a little experiment and see how much I could sell it for at the scrapper if I separated out all the clean and dirty aluminum, and iron/steel, and sold it that way.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
10/2/24 7:52 a.m.

Ran out into the garage this morning for a tire pressure gauge, and saw a puddle coming out from under the truck.  First thought was foundation issues due to all the rain we've had, but thankfully it was just brake fluid.  Looks like the lines are leaking from under the hood where one of those plastic brackets holds them next to each other.   At least now I know why the brakes are soft.  Think I'll pass on registering the truck.  With where they are, I don't want to deal with replacing them while the engine is still in the truck.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/2/24 11:12 a.m.
eastsideTim said:

Finally, a quick pic of the underside.  Southerners, look upon it in terror.  Michiganders and northern Ohioans, look upon it in envy:

More accuracy has never been spoken. I'm in OK and that looks absolutely horrifying. Like if it was free I wouldn't take it. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
10/2/24 5:08 p.m.

Pulled it out of the garage for a bit more cleaning and futzing around.  Hadn't picked up a coolant flush kit yet, so that'll be for a different day.  If the gauge is to be believed, it actually has 60 psi oil pressure at cold idle.  Kind of makes me want to be stupid, keep the 4.3, and see how much boost it can take.   Thankfully, that thought passed quickly enough.

I did prop one of the Z06 wheels up, just to get an idea how it might look on the car.  I think it works.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
10/5/24 5:17 p.m.

Coolant flushing day.  Don't drink the forbidden root beer.

Took quite a while to get the water to run clear.  I just left the tap water in the system.  If the truck is together when the first freeze hits, I'll make sure to drain some out and add antifreeze.   The radiator is still pretty crusty, so if it gets used, it'll need a vinegar bath.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CSZcooGqdPlusEQ2QpSYpOvXOcPbngTo9WB5UhFoOkUm0FE5LKsWXfA4rFWdPQvc