1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 18
bonylad
bonylad Reader
6/24/21 1:48 p.m.

Further work. Pulled the hood to make room. Valve train is off. May pull the heads tonight or tommorow. Pull a all nighter though tbh it won't take long. Either way. Pic of the carnage. 

bonylad
bonylad Reader
6/26/21 12:43 p.m.

Alright. Heads are off. Getting ready to clean them up. May shoot them with some paint and slap them on hopefully this weekend. Depends on how long it takes me to clean all surfaces proper. 

bonylad
bonylad Reader
6/27/21 12:12 p.m.

Waiting on them to dry. Gotta touch up the flanges once paint dries and they will be ready!

bonylad
bonylad Reader
6/27/21 9:36 p.m.

Mock up. 

bonylad
bonylad Reader
6/28/21 12:48 p.m.

Gotta go one more finish pass with a scotch pad and the heads are going on! 

And a clean........definitely a clean.

bonylad
bonylad Reader
7/1/21 7:02 a.m.

Heads are on though I need to install all the head bolts and torque. I'm off tommorow so I plan on doing that. And over the weekend get it all back together. Hopefully. 

Jimmy came through and provided this. I had asked for a edelbrock intake to match the other parts. It's a single plane which is what I want. Figure I'll maximize the fact it's got too large a cam and get all the mods to support that. Maybe next engine I'll do it different. 

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
7/1/21 8:29 a.m.

Still enjoying this. 

bonylad
bonylad Reader
7/3/21 4:10 p.m.

Right. Updates. Truck is nearly back together. I have no anticipation it will start right up but I tried to line up my marks on the distributor and all wires are correct. Need to install the valve train tommorow and try to get the valves adjusted. Change the oil and add coolant and see what happens. 

The carb is the same though the intake required some mods to the existing alternator bracket. It's all fitted now. Mock up shot. 

I will likely not need the spacer. With this air gap style intake and the exhaust crossovers blocked I anticipate cooler fuel which should fix the issue this all started out with. Fuel boiling in the bowl after a run. The single plane intake and general setup coupled with the 3.08 rear gears should make it a top end beast (as far as a 305 goes).  

All done today. Need to fit an oil cap and get some cover gaskets and misc crap. End of work today pic. 

Tommorow I plan on the valve train and a general adjustment. Also as it's the 4th I plan to go to the range and celebrate some Murica with some rounds through my AK47! Pic below and no it's 22lr. Wife's ammo. 7.62x39 goodness!

Happy 4th fellas!

bonylad
bonylad Reader
7/3/21 4:10 p.m.

In reply to Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) :

Wondered if anyone still read this. lol. Thanks!

You're leaving a ton on the table by running the wrong cam and that single plane intake on there. I'm just an old guy who has been there-done that and learned that less is often more when it comes to engine builds.

bonylad
bonylad Reader
7/3/21 7:41 p.m.

In reply to Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) :

I realize that. For sure. Truck runs hard or did on top end. Figured I'd emphasize that for now. Maybe a different cam and rear gears. Thinking a 350 vortec setup with this cam and lifter combo should fix the issue. 

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
7/4/21 8:32 a.m.

I haven't been to the range since all this Covid stuff hit and ammo prices went to the moon.  I'm hoping they come back down to normal soon...

bonylad
bonylad Reader
7/6/21 5:51 a.m.

It's alive!  Sort of. I did a quick valve adjustment and tried to fire it off. Sounds rough. Though I'm certain it's the combination of valves not right and timing. But it's something. I'm gonna try to do it right today and see where that gets me. 

Found all the adapters and fittings I needed for the cooling system. 

bonylad
bonylad Reader
7/7/21 12:20 p.m.

She's running boys. Need to tune it but for now we have progress!

Fixed the "lifter tick" which was and exhaust manifold bolt loose. Need to tweak the idle and timing and. Let er rip tater chip!

bonylad
bonylad Reader
7/8/21 6:51 a.m.

I discovered that the relay pack on the firewall is pretty much useless. So off it's  coming!  One may be for the CHSML but I've been told that's not always the case. 

bonylad
bonylad Reader
7/11/21 3:43 p.m.

Gonna tag it tommorow. Hope to start driving again Tuesday. Need a little trans fluid and I need to shake her down. I did take it on a little drive and it's definitely stronger than it was. Had to change the setting on the accel pump and have to drive it to see how that does. Also found some more weight reduction to do. 

For now. I upgraded the return spring. Replaced the cover hold downs with wider ones and slapped my old t handles on. Will put some fresh gas and see how aggressive I can get timing wise on 87.  

bonylad
bonylad Reader
7/18/21 6:13 p.m.

Took it to a local Cars and Coffee meet. Parked off to the side so no real good shots. When people are showing up in Skylines and LS swapped 56 Chevrolet 510s I figured who would wanna see my E36 M3. 

Turns out it was appreciated! Had quite a few people do the low key whistle and talk about it. Had several people talk to me about it. Feels good knowing it's a cool little truck and even though it's basic. It's still cool. 

I'm also installing a fuel pressure regulator as I feel my bog going into the secondaries is caused by fuel pressure. Can't hurt to set it to around 5 psi and see what happens. 

Its a Holley from Summit Racing.

bonylad
bonylad Reader
7/19/21 11:16 a.m.

Fuel pressure before was a little over 5.5 psi. Now with the regulator it's a solid 5.0 out of the box. Will report after a drive. 

bonylad
bonylad Reader
7/22/21 7:01 a.m.

Dad got me some new wires for my birthday! Woot!  

bonylad
bonylad Reader
7/25/21 9:50 a.m.

Yea time for a test fit!  

Waiting on the correct lug nuts. ETA Tuesday. Woot. 

bonylad
bonylad Reader
7/27/21 5:44 p.m.

Final product. Yes. Cragers. Cragers are different. Fitted the washers they came with and the correct lugs had to fiddle with it due to the bolt pattern thing cragers have. But they are on!

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
7/27/21 5:50 p.m.

I love cragars. Always wanted a aet for the duster. 

bonylad
bonylad Reader
7/27/21 8:21 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Thank you!

bonylad
bonylad Reader
8/1/21 12:46 p.m.

So I've rejetted the Edelbrock and I can't get it to be the way I want. Still bogs. Still runs fine otherwise but between the secondary issue and overall it being too large. I did a thing. Ordered a Holley Street Warrior 600 from Holley refurbishment. 

Sgt_Sizzle
Sgt_Sizzle New Reader
8/2/21 8:52 a.m.

So I have been and will continue to read this stem to stern and was wondering if you would mind giving some details and maybe going over some of the intricacies of the hybrid electrical/mechanical fuel system. What all went into making the electric fuel pump play nice with the big hanking carb? Thanks, keep up the good work

1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 18

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mRsCTOCz2DNLu72PJLSiiMuyXUtscHYGKjSILqvn9om5vtQS7ambZjL51RTXSiog