1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18
bonylad
bonylad HalfDork
8/20/21 3:28 p.m.

I'm really stoked. I'm hoping the correct stall really makes this thing wake up! 

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
8/20/21 8:03 p.m.

In reply to bonylad :

It should. Would put money that it does. 

bonylad
bonylad HalfDork
8/24/21 9:43 p.m.

So I don't sleep very well. So I decided to work on the truck. Pulled the exhaust (may paint and wrap it). Pulled the driveshaft and undid some connectors. Next the cross member and lay it back. Pull starter and flex plate bolts and she should come out. 

Had to make sure for my OCD before I went too far that the shaft fit. It does! Yay 27 spline GM goodness!

bonylad
bonylad HalfDork
8/24/21 9:45 p.m.

Now I have to figure out the VSS. I wanted to slap my tail housing on. But it's a 6 bolt so I'll have to reuse the 4 bolt 700r4. Need to see what kinda vss I can use. 

bonylad
bonylad HalfDork
8/25/21 11:44 a.m.

Pretty sure my best bet is to bug a pigtail and wire it up to work on the old vss in the 700r4.  Meanwhile........  

Parts!  

New filter kit, dipstick tube seal and output shaft seal. Woot. 

TCI makes a slick self adjusting TV cable. May pick that up. First I need to finish pulling the old trans and make sure it will fit. 

bonylad
bonylad HalfDork
8/27/21 5:45 a.m.

Starter is out and all that remains are:

cooler lines

flexplate bolts

Crossmember

bellhousing bolts

and someway of dropping it (insert janky floor jack methods). 

Meanwhile......

New torque converter came in! 2200-2500 stall HD 

bonylad
bonylad HalfDork
8/29/21 8:46 p.m.

Alright. All out. Trans looks to be close enough in length (within a 1/4 inch if even that) so should fit right in. Painting it now. Will update. I need to install it and then stop the pan to clean it and do the PM on it. Install the 4th gear lockup and voila. 

bonylad
bonylad HalfDork
8/30/21 11:30 a.m.

Started the painting. Looks good?

Sgt_Sizzle
Sgt_Sizzle New Reader
8/30/21 12:10 p.m.

No..... Looks great

bonylad
bonylad HalfDork
9/5/21 1:05 p.m.

Trans is in. Somehow it's shorter. Idk. Like gimme an inch!  

See?  Omg. I had to walk away.......

bonylad
bonylad HalfDork
9/6/21 9:27 a.m.

I hit the easy button.  I ordered some offset axle plates. Let's me move the axle back 3/4 to 1 inch backwards. Won't be noticeable and fixes the issue. Plus will give me what I'm looking for so far as clearance in and out. 

Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter)
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/6/21 11:09 a.m.

I cannot see where the offset plates are going to help you enough.

The proper driveshaft length for something like a leaf spring pickup is no less than 3/4 of an inch from bottomed out in the trans. In other words, at ride height, if your driveshaft doesn't have the ability to slip 3/4" into the tail of the trans, it is too long. Without that leeway there, transmission tailhousings get broken and driveshafts buckle. When that rear suspension moves, it WILL shove the driveshaft forward and you've got to give it some room to move.

bonylad
bonylad HalfDork
9/6/21 8:53 p.m.

In reply to Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) :

Solid advice. I figure an inch offset would give me what I need. I've heard 3/4 and I've heard less. I know that before I certainly had far less and had no issues. Idk. It may have been something I missed?  Will update and thank brother!

bonylad
bonylad HalfDork
9/18/21 5:59 p.m.

Home stretch. Mounted the linkage for the trans. Have to install a cotter pin. Otherwise it's adjusted. 

Also mounted the revised throttle linkage. Have test to pick up a stud for the TV cable. Hopefully  I can pick up a stud tommorow. Tonight I'm gonna research the adjustment of said cable. As apparently it's quite critical. 

I plan to drive it as is. Tweak it and make sure it's right before I even bother with the filter and lock up kit. 

Waiting on a fuel pump for the Miata. It's broke down and I really need a running vehicle. Right now I'm driving the jobs shuttle vehicle. Blessed for that but I can't stand mooching. 

bonylad
bonylad HalfDork
9/20/21 11:10 a.m.

Dropped off to the exhaust shop again. Y pipe would not clear the ears on the 700R4. So it's gonna have to be tweaked or redone. Sigh. But I can report it shifts fine. And on it's own. Cruise at 60 mph was around 1700 or so. That's without lockup. Hell. I may put some miles on it a d make sure she's happy and send it. 

bonylad
bonylad HalfDork
9/21/21 5:39 p.m.

She's back!  Alright. Quick run down. Trans shifts great. Everything works like it should. The truck is a completely different animal. I understand it's not fast it's still a 305. But I'll be damned if it ain't a whole lot quicker. Moderate acceleration taking off from a stop will cause the tires to spin and once it ships from 1st to 2nd it will bark the tires. Response is vastly improved. I think I'm going to redo the transmission cooler set up because the lines run too close to the exhaust for my comfort.

Thinking about doing one of those set ups that sits on the frame rail. I'm going to drive a little bit more and maybe this weekend I'll pull the transmission filter out give it a quick service but honestly I am well pleased. Now that I seem to have all the power back I'm going to change the setting in the spring for the secondary on the Holley carburetor. I'm really very happy with the truck right now still has an oil leak of some kind I have no freaking idea where it's coming from at this point I don't know what I'm going to do. At 60 miles an hour it's about 1800 RPMs maybe lower and you can have a reasonable conversation without yelling now. Still waiting on my connector so I can wire the vehicle speed sensor right now I'm having to use a phone for my speedometer. I drove about 20 miles a day so I don't see me racking up a whole lot of miles but I will report back

Really happy thanks for all the help guys stay tuned!

bonylad
bonylad HalfDork
10/10/21 7:29 p.m.

Update. Had to take the truck about 200 miles yesterday. The trans swap was a good move. Around 70 is around 2k on the tach in traffic on I40.  Lots of thumbs up and overall just a good drive. Stopped by the mall in the way home. Had to snap a pic. Was killing time before I met co workers at Mission BBQ. 

So. Here's a pic for lolz. We converted to vegan about three months ago. Wife was in Georgia so we met there and I cheated. Soooooooo worth it. I'm cheesing here for the pic. I look stupid but figured I'd share the ignorance. 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/10/21 8:36 p.m.

BBQ is never ignorant

bonylad
bonylad HalfDork
10/10/21 9:30 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

YESSS!

bonylad
bonylad HalfDork
11/6/21 12:08 p.m.

Today. I did truck things. Long beds and lowered is a good combination. 

bonylad
bonylad HalfDork
11/16/21 11:16 a.m.

Well. I'm doing another thing. I almost went down to a 2 barrel carb but figured the real problem is the style of manifold. So. I'm pullin it to switch to a more conventional type. An Edelbrock air gap style.  

bonylad
bonylad HalfDork
11/17/21 8:26 a.m.

Lol. I found out that intake is a Jegs 6 inch hi rise and power band is 3-7500rpm. Sigh. Yep. That's an issue. 

bonylad
bonylad HalfDork
11/22/21 2:58 p.m.

So. I will update with pics once I get this sorted.  I did swap the intake with Weiand Stealth intake. Initial impressions are good.  Timing is set to a conservative 32 total (for now) and one of my lifters on cylinder 6 is raising hell (probably got coolant in it when I pulled the intake and I have to run it out.....yes I did change the oil after the swap lol).  So I cant give a full review but its definitely a better running truck.  

I didnt check timing totally as I got a nice letter from the HOA about revving engines and excessive idling...........yeah. So me holding it 3K to check total timing isnt gonna happen at least at my house. Sigh.

And the intake sprung a leak.  Guy told me it leaked a little at the coolant bypass but I didnt care and figured I could fix it. Slapped the fitting it with sealant and ran it down the road with a noisey lifter and conservative timing.........came back to see it pissing coolant.   Its not the hose.....I wiped the fitting off and saw it seeping from the crack.

So.......

I pulled the fitting, cleaned the bejesus out of it and sealed it with JB Weld.  Will update ONCE its fixed (speaking optimistic here).

How she looks now.

bonylad
bonylad HalfDork
12/9/21 12:49 p.m.

Might be doing an engine swap!  This 305 runs fine but between a ticking noise from the lifters (suspected) and burning oil through shot valve stems it's getting a bit much. I can swap to a 283 with Power PAC heads on it and probably make quite a bit more than the 305 currently in it. Thoughts?

bonylad
bonylad HalfDork
2/19/22 1:28 p.m.

Back from the dead. I've toyed with trading the truck. Though with the lifter issue and my general honesty. A lot of people are put off in assuming it's either about to blow up or idk. Regardless. A swap is in the works. 

4 bolt main GM crate 350.  Idk on the HP rating as it's either 190 or 250 depending on who's selling it. Regardless it's 300 ft lbs torque stock. All the things I have on the 305 will switch. A comparative 350 crate engine with the same build but a larger cam and intake etc is around 350 HP. So. Yeah!  

Stay tuned. Will start tommorow on the swap!

1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7OoKb0jXXidBEYn3Tpsdt8nv2JKvtQqAZg4krwAd65FjRBM9wpj0H2dkBqxtY7p3