1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 ... 32
Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
7/20/18 7:43 p.m.

If you have front inner fenders, try removing them.

Air has no problem coming in through the radiator, getting it out from under the hood can be difficult.

I seem to recall Herb Adams explaining this sort of thing at length in one of his books.

Maybe time for some 2nd-gen Firebird extractor vents in the front fenders. People seem to forget that Pontiac actually developed their aero package in a wind tunnel and it actually works.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
7/20/18 11:23 p.m.

I don't really have inner fenders, I mean, there is in essence a Princess Auto trailer fender, but it is totally open to the suspension/brakes/wheel, just not the tire tread.

I won't do fender vents, but I could see doing a deep vent in the hood to pull rad heat up and over the car. Last ditch effort, though, because I hate bodywork.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
7/21/18 12:27 a.m.

Small flares in front of the fenders or pull the front fender edges out to create a bit of a venturi to pull the hot air out?

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
7/21/18 10:21 a.m.

This is kind of what I was thinking as a last resort:

This is a good article on rads and pressure differences:

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&title=Undertrays-Spoilers-Bonnet-Vents-Part-1&A=113176

And good discussion right here on our own turf:

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/learn-me-hood-ventsextractors/110468/page1/

BA5
BA5 GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/23/18 7:59 a.m.

I want to learn about vent sex tractors!

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
7/23/18 9:42 a.m.
BA5 said:

I want to learn about vent sex tractors!

Best band name ever!

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
7/23/18 10:25 a.m.

OMG, I didn't even see that!

That's better than "pen island .com" any day!

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
7/23/18 10:43 a.m.

Sounds like an Agricultural Punk band.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
7/24/18 3:50 p.m.

I taped the cowl vents closed, seemed to make a difference.  

Also, the thing has been running lean on cruise, and as I've been taking the lean out, it's been running cooler and cooler.

Except I haven't been able to get rid of a lean surge.  And as much as I fatten it, it keeps going lean.

I know I wasn't happy with my DIY Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator Mod to the TBI.  It just wasn't holding steady; it needed frequent adjustment.  Plus, the gauge I had in the inlet line was fluctuating all over the place.

Since I had one on a shelf: External regulator.  Rock steady now!

Time to get back to tuning!  Nope.  Wait.  I think I found the lean issue - a header bolt just came undone and blew out the header gasket..... Figures.

Now it's up on the hoist cooling off until I can get my hands in there.

The love for this one is falling away.

Anyone else reading these, or is it just Trans_Maro and me?

llysgennad
llysgennad New Reader
7/24/18 4:06 p.m.

I'm still following, I'm sure others are too. It is a little off-putting that you seem to not enjoy it anymore. Maybe the fun was in the build, for you and the audience? Love it though!

Also: Need more smoky burnout videos!

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
7/24/18 4:19 p.m.

I am reading. It is one of the threads I always click on when it hits the first page.

java230
java230 UltraDork
7/24/18 4:23 p.m.

I'm following!

Run_Away
Run_Away GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/24/18 4:27 p.m.

Also checking in every time there's a new post!

Hoping you'll like it better when all you have to do is drive it.

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
7/24/18 4:30 p.m.

I check this thread constantly.  I never have much of value to add and I don't want to add noise.  I think this is an extremely cool project.  

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
7/24/18 4:31 p.m.

Ah, bless you fellers!

Honestly, it really scoots with the new motor.  Just this lean surge issue.  I think you're right - it'll be more fun when I can just have fun with it.

And yeah - I like the build.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
7/24/18 5:47 p.m.

Following start to finish. Knowing full well there is no finish.

Pete

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/24/18 6:01 p.m.

This thread is one of my inspirations

Bill Mesker
Bill Mesker Reader
7/24/18 8:13 p.m.

I'm still following along SkinnyG. I just don't say much haha

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
7/24/18 8:52 p.m.
NOHOME said:

Knowing full well there is no finish.

Project Car Purgatory.  Sweet.

Previously, when I was putting the 350 in, my regular auto parts store did not have Remflex header gaskets in stock, so I went with Percy's Carbon gaskets.  Should have ordered and waited for the Remflex.  On the horn right now with another auto parts store to see if they have Remflex.  #2006 in case I Google this again in the future.

And the reason is yes, tightening the flange did nothing.  I need to pull the header and change the gasket.  Wa-frickin-hoo. With any luck, this will be my last problem (HA-hahahahahahahahaha-ha-ha.  Ha.  Yeah, me too) and I can get the tune finalized and just drive the thing. 

Now that it actually pulls past 4000 rpm, I can put the LO3-305-grenading trans governor back in, and make some better use of this new-found power.  I'm still quite pleased with the power so far.

Still not willing to put a Rochester in there.  

I -love- the challenge.  I -hate- the challenge. ("I love you, I'll kill you" </Enigma>)

I still have a set of heim-jointed 4-link bars to go on if I can get to such luxury.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
7/24/18 9:22 p.m.

I do appreciate all o'y'all's checking in. 

I should read more build threads, so I can find comfort in the struggles of others.

Nitroracer
Nitroracer UltraDork
7/24/18 9:54 p.m.

I'm still reading!  I dig your 60s Chevy pickup as well.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
7/24/18 10:17 p.m.

Way back when I first got this on the road, I complained the my 12-year-old Kumho 711 all-seasons couldn't put the power down.

I -am- happy to report that with a Detroit Tru-Trac, and the 4-link properly set up (should be close to neutral, maybe a tick of anti-squat), and a fresh set of Bridgestone RE-71Rs, this thing flat out hooks and goes. (Clearly I need more power??) No complaints, despite being only 195/50R15's.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
7/25/18 1:08 p.m.
SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
7/25/18 3:48 p.m.

NOT a Reflex gasket:

2.5 hours to change one header gasket - I'm getting quicker!

My own fault, for not re-torquing the header bolts after it ran.

Replaced with Remflex, my favourite. Pictured here so when I Google the part number (#2006), I can find it easier:

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
7/25/18 3:56 p.m.

The remflex gaskets and the ramp or wedge lock header bolts combine to actually keep the exhaust gasses where they belong

1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 ... 32

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oC9z7eIMyQcOmSamDJ97bt6Mm414fE0lb7Prrtt94Ex71lQutqQ0ZX9NrbbdFFI1