1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 32
SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
6/17/15 10:20 p.m.

And now the ground has been broken for my workshop.

Firefly will continue to get done, in between work and waiting for inspections/work/etc. Dunno if I posted the link or not, but the workshop is outlined here: http://www.gwellwood.com/tools/the-workshop/ And more conversation on the build here: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=279277 Dunno if I should move the build to this site or not (you guys are so awesome!)

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
6/25/15 9:09 p.m.

Go the rebuilt TH350 in now (just fresh seals and internal modifications), and got the old one in storage until the inevitable. SO nice pulling transmissions when there is no floor. I forgot to snag the trans mount....

DSC03831

Apparently I'm using a soft filter effect, for more romance. Or the auto-focus was less focus and more auto.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
7/3/15 6:11 p.m.

Way back when I got the blue transmission (now gone), the kiddies at school broke the dipstick tube off at the base. The student skill at brazing was equally proficient, so to use this tube again, I cut off the offending end, and machined a new end out of scrap and TIG'd into place. Yes, I know you can buy replacement tubes, or the newer, better "top hat" sealing tubes, but this was free.

DSC03872

Oh, and this:

DSC03832

A workshop is never big enough. So.... I'm building as big as I can. That's me...... at the back.

mbruneaux
mbruneaux New Reader
7/3/15 10:11 p.m.
SkinnyG wrote: Way back when I got the blue transmission (now gone), the kiddies at school broke the dipstick tube off at the base. The student skill at brazing was equally proficient, so to use this tube again, I cut off the offending end, and machined a new end out of scrap and TIG'd into place. Yes, I know you can buy replacement tubes, or the newer, better "top hat" sealing tubes, but this was free. DSC03872 Oh, and this: DSC03832 A workshop is never big enough. So.... I'm building as big as I can. That's me...... at the back.

BUILD BIG!!! After I build I didn't realize I was more than 18" wide....

ssswitch
ssswitch Reader
7/4/15 12:24 a.m.

I like where this is going.

NOHOME
NOHOME UberDork
7/4/15 4:09 a.m.

How big is the shop going to be?

SkinnyG
SkinnyG Dork
7/4/15 9:44 a.m.

1065 square feet. It's kind of reverse-L shape. Front "vehicle" part is 25x33', and the back "fabrication" part is 12x20'.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
7/9/15 11:51 p.m.

Concrete day! Only 38°C too!

footings1

Pump Pro arrives, along with OK Ready Mix.

footings3

Working furiously to screed, key, and set rebar.

footings4

Home stretch.

NOHOME
NOHOME UberDork
7/10/15 5:37 a.m.

Did not realize you were doing the building yourself. And yeah...pouring concrete always seems to bring out either brutally hot or wet weather. You seem to know what you are doing wit that footing but that crew of Mexicans you hired is kinda short eh?

SkinnyG
SkinnyG Dork
7/10/15 8:39 a.m.

They eat less, yeah.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG Dork
7/10/15 9:29 a.m.

Yes - I am doing the job myself. With the exception of the excavation (too rocky), finishing the concrete floor, and hooking up gas & electrical.

It can get done faster, but it costs more that way. Kind of like building your own car. Wait......?

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
7/13/15 9:22 a.m.

Pops and me doing the forms. Gives you a reasonable idea on size:

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel HalfDork
7/13/15 9:36 a.m.

I have reviewed your plan and now state that I might steal it for my irregular spaced back yard.

I juts need a few cuyds of soil to bring it level with the rest of the yard...

NOHOME
NOHOME UberDork
7/13/15 9:46 a.m.

Kinda late in the game, but are your aware of the foam molds for doing foundations? They can actually be used to do the entire wall, with the bonus of the insulation being in place when you are done.

When I did my shop, I fut 2" foam along the inside of the foundation to act as a thermal break between the floor and the foundation. Keeps the grass from growing along the outside of the garage all winter at my expense.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
7/13/15 9:46 a.m.

Bummer, work now filters your image provider so I can't see all the pretty pics.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG Dork
7/13/15 10:00 a.m.

Whose images, mine? They are hosted on my own website, http://www.gwellwood.com

Yes, I am aware of ICFs. It would have cut too much into the budget for a garage/workshop, not a conditioned living space. If this were a house - totally. But a garage? Ehh.....

NOHOME
NOHOME UberDork
7/13/15 10:19 a.m.
SkinnyG wrote: Whose images, mine? They are hosted on my own website, http://www.gwellwood.com Yes, I am aware of ICFs. It would have cut too much into the budget for a garage/workshop, not a conditioned living space. If this were a house - totally. But a garage? Ehh.....

Need to work on those priorities.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
7/21/15 5:17 p.m.

DSC03951

Foundation

DSC03950

Damp-proofing

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
9/9/15 11:35 a.m.
SkinnyG wrote: Whose images, mine? They are hosted on my own website, http://www.gwellwood.com

It's your site I can't see, so I can't see the images you link here.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG Dork
9/9/15 9:42 p.m.

That's really odd. Tried Chrome/Firefox/Safari/IE? It has always worked for me, on any computer I've been on.

Is anyone else having the same problem?

SkinnyG
SkinnyG Dork
10/9/15 11:33 p.m.

I ~so~ want to be a part of the epic-build-threadsthat-get-finished thread....

But I'll have to let y'all know that we're not dead yet. The Epic Workshop Build has just had the last of the Epic Roofing Shingles hammered down, and will be getting read for the Epic Framing Inspection. We'll continue with this when I get to it.

VWguyBruce
VWguyBruce Dork
10/10/15 9:04 p.m.

Looks awesome! You and your dad have some skills!

I wish I would've gleaned more knowledge from my dad before he passed. He was a cement finisher all of his life, minus his Army days. I saw a lot of his finished work and he was pretty damn good at it.

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath SuperDork
10/11/15 9:34 a.m.

Your build is awesome and I want your life.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
2/28/16 10:46 p.m.

The project isn't dead, I've just been busy. Compare this pic, to the one at the top of this page:

siding2

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/29/16 12:11 a.m.

Keep it up!

1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 32

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nxGdVYXBn0swNZ3kXyy9CznSFfbwV7HfcnlAoq8ZurKtxCWZl0WBjw7CU3E9VOVx