1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21
Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/6/23 5:35 p.m.

We came back to Gainesville today. Bob had an appointment at 2:30 so we grabbed stuff downtown and headed out.  Ended up being a mistake made scheduling his appointment so we had the day free. 

I'm starting to think Bob isn't the brightest. He especially seems to be spatially challenged with his height. Sunday morning at 4am I heard him whimper. He'd gotten his whole body stuck under my bed this time. Today in Lowe's he wasn't paying attention to where he was going and got "stuck" under this box. This is his I need help look. 

We've been working on him laying down while I eat. He wasn't an obnoxious begger, he would just stare at you from two feet away. Today at lunch he decided it was ok to lay down beside me. No staring just ok this is what I'm supposed to do.

This afternoon's project was make it easier to get in and out of the cabin by building a deck. It's 12x3 and makes it much easier. 

The engineer in charge of the project made a design change in progress but forgot to account for other issues that might cause. The worker building it noticed it but decided to forge ahead at that point and make it all good with a bandaid fix later. 

Tomorrow morning is Bob's new appointment. I think I have enough little stuff to keep me busy. 

Stampie
11/7/23 12:25 p.m.

Last night I couldn't find anything and we were seriously lacking on floor space so shelves were the morning project. 

Four supports starting 3 feet high because Bob's bed is underneath. 

And tada shelves. I'll get some brackets to put under the right side. 

While I did that Bob alternated between sunning himself and laying in the shade. 

About that time Bob's vet showed up to check him out. Everything was good except that someone had been licking his privates too much. Back on antibiotics and the dreaded cone of shame. 

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
11/7/23 1:32 p.m.

dont be lickin the privates bob!

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/7/23 1:38 p.m.
TJL (Forum Supporter) said:

Nobody said Bob was the one doin the lickin.

a_florida_man
a_florida_man GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/7/23 3:33 p.m.
wvumtnbkr said:
TJL (Forum Supporter) said:

Nobody said Bob was the one doin the lickin.

I was thinking the same thing....

Kind of the difference between:

"Everything was good except that someone had been licking HIS privates too much."

...and...

"Everything was good except that someone had been licking THEIR privates too much."

Luckily the cone implies  whats up lol.

Stampie
11/7/23 4:50 p.m.

Never thought that would be a discussion I was part of. 

We had an easy afternoon. We hit the liquor store, Publix, Lowe's, and Wards. 

First thing we did once we got back was test out the rocket stove. I think I need to make a grate for the inside but not bad for a first test. 

Next I made a little shelf for the fridge to sit on the wheel well. That'll free up some floor space. 

Last project of the day was making my washing machine. Put cloths in bucket with holes. Put inside first nonholy bucket. Use plunger to agitate, and then rinse in second nonholy bucket. Use rinse water as your wash water the next time. 

Stampie
11/8/23 1:55 p.m.

We're back in Jax. I've got stuff I need to do here so we came back a little early. 

Yesterday I bought some painter's tape to black out done off the LEDs that all the electronics have. Discovered that painter's tape sucks at it. 

This morning we hit Home Depot because it's a little closer and I didn't need much. Morning job was too make the shelves better. I got some brackets and some 1 by material because I didn't like the support on the front of the shelves and I wanted a lip sub that stuff wouldn't fall on Bob.

Pretty simple just put a 1x2 and 1x3 together. The 1x2 becomes a support and the 1x3 becomes the lip. 

Here's with all the lips and brackets installed. 

I can already see a difference Bob's new medicine is doing with his back and scrotum. Here in a few we're going to do a DNA test on him to figure out what he is. A lot of people are guessing part Cane Corso.

Almost forgot, we fixed the deck. I'm calling this the pee line toe stop. Great when it's dark outside and you need to pee off the end of the deck. 

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
11/8/23 2:25 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Black Electrical tape.

Stampie
11/8/23 3:38 p.m.

In reply to Indy - Guy :

Does it leave a residue?

Another thing I forgot was Bob's poop.  Yesterday morning he did a good size poop along the edge of the ditch and woods.  I left it there hoping for dung beetles.  Yesterday evening it was still there but this morning before we left I took him on a walk and it looked like parts had been eaten.  Then I saw movement and it was a beetle.  I love nature taking care of nature.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
11/8/23 3:44 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Doesn't matter now, as long as you put the black tape on top of the painters tape, a couple of layers if required.

TVR Scott
TVR Scott GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/8/23 4:14 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Shouldn't leave a residue.  Will definitely block all the light.

Stampie
11/14/23 11:46 a.m.

This is what 795lbs of solar system looks like. I thought the weight would be in the battery and inverters but no those panels were heavy. 

brandonsmash
brandonsmash GRM+ Memberand New Reader
11/14/23 3:15 p.m.

Interesting: I helped a buddy do solar on his house a year or two ago, and the panels actually seemed rather light. What's the unit weight on each of those? 

Stampie
11/14/23 5:35 p.m.

In reply to brandonsmash :

22.6Kg or 49.8lbs for the US people.  That means there was ~500lbs of panels on there.

MyMiatas
MyMiatas HalfDork
11/14/23 10:13 p.m.

I saw your heater.  This style rocket heater works!  Mine works best with pellets.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wXEnVSq2NUs

It takes some finesse to get it burning and a cover over top of where it holds the pellets. 

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
12/1/23 2:47 p.m.

so...whats the latest? 

HotNotch
HotNotch Reader
12/1/23 2:53 p.m.

Yeah.  How's Bob?

Stampie
12/1/23 3:35 p.m.

Holidays and some family issues have prevented much work in Gainesville lately. Bob we're working on.

We screwed up not realizing Bob had an issue with Lil Stampie. Looking back it's obvious but at the time we weren't sure. It started the second day I had him. Lil Stampie walked into the door like normal because it's his house. Bob didn't like that and growled.  The other thing is Bob has become very protective of the Suburban and has chosen me as his person.  Normally on road trips Lil Stampie sits behind me so that he can have more space. That also put him between Bob and I. Basically we were poking Bob constantly with Bob saying hey guys I don't like this. Ended up with Bob biting Lil Stampie's hand last Wednesday in the middle of a Thanksgiving road trip. So what do you do?

We've spent the last week working on Bob realizing Lil Stampie is inside the circle. Started with me working with Bob on a leave it command as ignore that it doesn't bother me.  He responded real well to that with other dogs and cats during walks so I've been using it with Lil Stampie also. We've also had Lil Stampie ride up front or drive while I ride up front. That's helped a lot. It's a process but we're working on it. Just now we got back here and I went upstairs to get Bob. My dad and Lil Stampie were downstairs. Bob came down did a quick survey to make sure it was all clear and laid down. It's different if Lil Stampie comes into the room where we're at but I see a huge improvement from a week ago. 

Because everyone loves pictures this is our current arrangement. 

Shadeux
Shadeux GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/1/23 4:11 p.m.

Glad you have the understanding and patience with Bob. 

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
12/1/23 4:19 p.m.

Can Lil Stampie walk bob on a leash? 

just curious, if lil stampie pulls his hair back or has a cap on, does Bob still not like it?  Dogs do weird stuff. Maybe he thinks there is a squirell on Lil Stampies head.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
12/1/23 4:56 p.m.

Im super glad to hear that Bob is responding well to work. Not all dogs do, and one at his age is a toss up - Im loving Bobs story almost as much as Im loving the build.

THanks for sharing all this!

Stampie
12/1/23 5:23 p.m.

In reply to TJL (Forum Supporter) :

Both of us laughed at that. Yes Lil Stampie can walk him. Pre bite he did it often. Now we're working back on that trust between them. Bob approached him a couple of times today looking for pets then wasn't as sure once Lil Stampie pet him. I'm most proud of Lil Stampie because the next day he was like let's work on this. 

a_florida_man
a_florida_man GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/1/23 6:27 p.m.

From the movie... What about Bob?

"...sonofabitchin bob..."

Bring him out to the Brewery.

Toby puts on a chill demo every trip!

11GTCS
11GTCS SuperDork
12/1/23 6:40 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

No telling what Bob has been through in the past, I'm sure time and patience will help.  Love his brindle coloring.  Also, excellent choice of tee shirt.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/1/23 7:37 p.m.

Is there a squirrel?

1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wWd5f12eCiBXw8WKAJ6j9fzf2CzSyHo9UpTaH8c69bXWKV0DDLAFGLBGSzN2mXZq