budget_bandit
budget_bandit Reader
7/12/24 11:35 a.m.

My 1972 Ventura is an X-Body, and therefore a unibody car. The front subframe is a standalone section that is removable from the rest of the car, attached by 4 1/2" bolts. The rear section has actual frame rails that are permanently affixed to the car (via spotwelding). My previous experience with my '86 Trans Am leads me to believe that subframe connectors between the front and rear of the car would be beneficial. All connectors that i have found available for purchase are undesirable, either because they hang down low below the car and in my mind look ugly, or they require permanent welding to the front subframe.  I would like to avoid that and keep the front subframe removable in the future.

So, i would like to build my own. My first thought is to make some connectors that weld to the rear section, probably welding to both the rear frame rails themselves and the crossmember that they attach to. In the front, i could run the connector outside of the subframe, and weld it to the crossmember where the subframe bolts to, as well as stitch welding to the floor. In my mind that would still dramatically stiffen the car, by providing a direct-ish path from the rear frame to the front frame, and be tucked up out of the way. Is my logic sound? X-body underside photo provided for reference.

DrMikeCSI
DrMikeCSI Reader
7/12/24 12:06 p.m.

Something like this? Pardon the crappy drawing. 

budget_bandit
budget_bandit Reader
7/12/24 12:08 p.m.

In reply to DrMikeCSI :

yes exactly like that! 

I already have the car stripped and will be re-doing brake/fuel lines, exhaust, etc so packaging not a concern

eedavis
eedavis GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/12/24 12:31 p.m.

maybe with a lateral plate between the connector and the subframe, so the subframe bolts tie subframe, connector and unibody together at those 4 points?

(Also, what's going on at the rear? Are those slapper traction bars, or is there a pivot above the lift pads?)

budget_bandit
budget_bandit Reader
7/12/24 12:53 p.m.

not my car, but those are old school slappers

Ando
Ando GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/12/24 1:38 p.m.

Something additional to consider, the front subframe is connected to the body with a series of rubber mounts. Replace those with aluminum or maybe Delrin to further solidify the front end.

budget_bandit
budget_bandit Reader
7/12/24 2:08 p.m.

definitely. I've got a set of aluminum bushings to go in

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/12/24 6:27 p.m.

On my Camaro the subframe to fire wall braces made a bigger improvement than the subframe braces.  I made my own but here's an example -> https://www.pro-touringf-body.com/product-page/g-braces

budget_bandit
budget_bandit Reader
7/12/24 9:24 p.m.

In reply to APEowner :

How interesting! I've never come across these. But it does look like you could get some great leverage on the subframe going from there to the firewall. Perhaps I should make a set...

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
7/12/24 11:11 p.m.

In reply to APEowner :

I had not seen that type of brace, so I was thinking of the brace from shock tower across to other, and better braces back to center of firewall (all above the engine)

But I REALLY like those!

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
7/12/24 11:19 p.m.

To continue with the crappy edit, I had this in mind:

2x2 (or 3?) tube to reinforce the "crossmember" the front subframe bolts to (maybe even open it to fill with "real" metal?) and then stitched to floor all the way back to rear "subframe"

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
7/12/24 11:24 p.m.

While writing that, I was thinking "self, I'm not sure if there is an advantage to continuing past, like mikes drawing". Then I thought of this:

weld another piece of tubing from reinforced "crossmember" fwd., and bolt through the side of front subframe to it?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HaVRWr2PK01DKpOJTiz4IWFlQnExIjap08IJ7J8pCGjpGP34BiBdYUOzskKOnL7m