1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 15
loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
1/26/21 8:26 p.m.

Every one of the 9/16 bolts holding the springs in were seized and an absolute bitch to get out. I landed up cutting the heads off and using a big punch and even bigger hammer to pound them out. Then I removed the old springs and lift blocks and replaced with some proper lift springs and new bolts. I coated all the bolts in anti-seize first so future owners will not have a bad day. 

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
1/27/21 7:15 p.m.

I hooked up the fuel line and ignition today and the second it got gas, it fired up and ran mint. I have video but can't post hit here because it's just on my phone. Numerous little jobs are also done like the ashtray is put back together, barn door sliders installed, exhaust is on (it's old rusty crap but I'm not going to spend money on this exhaust because I'm swapping motors later this year), heater box is sandblasted and painted, vents are repainted and today my wife restored the Canada-only fender badges.

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
1/28/21 7:15 p.m.

Finally had the chassis finished to the point where we could put the body back on. I used an aftermarket poly body mount bushing kit and they look excellent. I didn't remember the Suburban being this tall.

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/28/21 7:21 p.m.

Man that looks amazing. 

And it'll probably go down an inch or three with everything assembled. 

759NRNG (Forum Partidario)
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) UberDork
1/28/21 7:24 p.m.

This is so RIGHT!!! Briget yu rock!!!.....AMAZING!!! hey are yu gonna do a hot lap inside for the inaugural first run????  video please..... 

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/29/21 9:31 a.m.

That thing is gorgeous.

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
1/29/21 6:13 p.m.

More sandblasting and painting little bits and trying to put it all together. I am constantly frustrated by parts that are too crappy to put back on or parts that are in decent shape but they turned out to be from the wrong year. Example, the whole throttle pedal mechanism is not from a 67-72 GMC and the pieces I need are not available, and for some reason the new e-brake cable doesn't come anywhere close to the mount it needs to reach. Anyways, the pedals (except throttle), grill, one inner fender, horns, master cylinder, central hump and radiator are installed.

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/29/21 7:04 p.m.

Damn, that thing is so badass. 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/30/21 12:12 p.m.
mblommel said:

Damn, that thing is so badass. 

The image above is actually from the dictionary.

11GTCS
11GTCS HalfDork
1/30/21 4:43 p.m.

In reply to mblommel :

I’m not worthy to even view this thread. smiley    Wow...

1/30/21 4:57 p.m.

Sorry,  I can't resist, but rereading an old "street rodder"  there was a build on a 409 'W' big block by Scott Shafiroff that would be perfect for 'BURB' (iffen money was no object and you two had tons of it)......well done Mark!!!!

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/30/21 5:37 p.m.
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) said:

Sorry,  I can't resist, but rereading an old "street rodder"  there was a build on a 409 'W' big block by Scott Shafiroff that would be perfect for 'BURB' (iffen money was no object and you two had tons of it)......well done Mark!!!!

As cool as 409s are - and they definitely are - my vote would be for a big GMC V6. Anything from a 351 Magnum up would do it. A 478 is probably over the top. Granted, this isn't what the OP wants, and I'm not sure the big V6 was even sold in Canada...

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
1/30/21 7:00 p.m.

If money was no object, I would like to put a Detroit 6V92 engine in it. Known as a Screaming Jimmy, it was a supercharged/turbocharged 2 stroke diesel that revved really high (for a diesel) and made 1000 ft/lbs torque without mods. We had one in a 5 ton GMC truck when I was a kid and I loved it. I got the steering column/wheel, mirrors, master cylinder, steering stabilizer and some dash switches installed today. The mirrors might need to be painted black.

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/30/21 7:21 p.m.

In reply to loosecannon :

Wow! You went from "big V6" to BIG V6. A 6V92 is a hell of a thing and might be just about impossible to package, but I believe there's a 6V53 in a squarebody somewhere on the YouTube. A 4-53T might be an easier fit and would still make all the right noises (depending on how far away your neighbors are)... but the gas V6 gives you the option of plaid valve covers, and that has to count for something. 

Agreed, the mirrors want to be de-shined. What would this have had when new for the original fleet customer? Either satin black or hastily applied body color seem reasonably likely. 

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
1/30/21 7:40 p.m.

In reply to DarkMonohue :

I haven't measured up the 6v92 but it didn't look THAT big under the hood of the 5 ton truck. I have the details of how my Suburban left the factory and one of the options was code D29 "Mirror below eyeline junior painted" so they were painted, probably white or maybe black.

drock25too
drock25too GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/31/21 12:50 a.m.

Man I just saw this thread. Love the Burb. My favorite trucks have always been the '67-72 Chevy/ GMC. I have a 71 GMC pickup that Dad and I bought in '82 or '83 and had a '68 Burb until someone decided to do a high speed custom job on it.  I have another one that is in the works. 

My '68 after the high speed custom work. 

1/31/21 11:25 a.m.

Loose, that 6v92 weighs right near 2000lbs .....woof

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
1/31/21 5:57 p.m.
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) said:

Loose, that 6v92 weighs right near 2000lbs .....woof

I said if money was no object and since I'm unemployed, money IS an object. We decided to put the fenders on because the wiring routes along them and I needed to know how long to leave the wires. It was a struggle getting them on, there is several dozen bolts holding them and most of the holes didn't just line up. Anyways, after hours of swearing, they are bolted on and the panel gaps are really good. Still a lot of work to do.

ejs262
ejs262 New Reader
1/31/21 6:06 p.m.

Truck is looking fantastic! keep up the good work!

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
2/1/21 6:28 p.m.

Installed all new corner markers and tail light housings, wired them up and wired the temp, oil, tach and ignition today. I also replaced the ratty steering coupler. I also put Kilmat sound deadener panels on the inside of every side panel and door, and it made a huge difference to the sound that the panels make when I tap on them.

jfryjfry (FS)
jfryjfry (FS) Dork
2/1/21 7:06 p.m.

Soooo coooool

eastpark
eastpark HalfDork
2/1/21 8:11 p.m.

I really like the chrome mirror against the paint. IMO, don't paint them!

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
2/1/21 8:14 p.m.
eastpark said:

Really? We don't really dig the chrome mirrors or the chrome trim over the grill. We haven't decided what we're doing with them yet

2/1/21 8:28 p.m.
eastpark said:

Me too.....and the grille bling also....so chrome bumpers it is ......what say Ms.B?????

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
2/1/21 8:39 p.m.

Keep the chrome, it's classic

1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 15

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VWEwhRyBbRMNUZhFxlKwc3rgYnB4P5UY4zx0U4sCP8G1txNzUjNqNngmyYCzl0xY