1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10
Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/10/18 6:56 p.m.
XLR99 said:
759NRNG said:

Pink Flamingos in Medina Ohio on a wintery day......hmmmm me thinks photoshop wink 

No it's real - intended to be a sled for small kids.  I'm not sure where it came from, but it's currently resting on top of one of my Saabs in the garage (too much risk of injury/theft at school frown

I love how the outdoor pics only hint at the GRM glory of Pat's garage/yard complex. 

Glory as in the broken power wheels escalade or the forester that needs an engine that seemed like a good idea last week?  Or possibly the corvair suspensions that are still in the driveway from june?  Maybe you’re referring to the harbor freight temporary garage stuffed from to back with car and parts?  

Crackers
Crackers Dork
1/10/18 7:32 p.m.

I second the impact idea. Just spray the worm gear with WD40 periodically to keep it cool. 

With Harbor Freight stuff, I like to beat on it like it's stolen for the first couple days/weeks while it's still under the 30 day warranty. LOL

Patrick
1/12/18 9:22 a.m.

Welded the handle nut to the winch and put the impact on it.  Kept steady stream of white lithuim grease spray on it and with 2 feet left whatever holds the worm gear to the handle shaft let go.  Pulled it in by hand the rest of the way.  I’ll toss that one in the scrap pile and keep the cable and next time i’ll buy the 120v electric one.  It’s $149 though and no %20 off badlands products.  Bought the manual one trying to be cheap because i need to finish paying off the car trailer by end of February.  Missing 2 weeks of work with pneumonia and having to spend $3000 on a new work trailer murdered me.  C’est la vie.  At least the 2 stocks I bought this week both went down almost immediately after purchase, good thing i’m in it for the long term with my ameritrade account and not trying to make quick money  laugh

in other uplifting news, a fellow grmer has committed to purchase the 1958 panhard dyna sedan after i remove the bits that make it go, roll, and stop for about 40% of what I paid for it, so my evil plan for a $2021ish challenge GRM/Classic Motorsports crossover episode is still plausible.  I’m going to leave him anonymous until he decides to say something.

also i finally took a couple detail shots of the gantry, will upload when not on mobile

Crackers
Crackers Dork
1/12/18 9:57 a.m.

Eh, just weld it to the shaft. 

It wouldn't be the first time a person made a decent tool out of HF Chinesium with a welder and or scrap steel. 

Kind of like my brake press. LOL

Patrick
1/12/18 10:30 a.m.

The big gear is turning to dust anyway so if i bothered trying to fix it it’ll just break again soon.  Definitely don’t recommend this winch unless you like scrapping stuff.  Will report on the electric one when that happens.  i can move the mount down close to the floor(so cable passes under car in garage to pull other cars toward concrete pad in front of garage)with the electric winch and mount the remote to the wall.  The only reason the manual one was a few feet up was for comfort whilst cranking it (phrasing).

XLR99
XLR99 GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/12/18 1:17 p.m.

You know there are people nearby you can call and ask for moving help, right? laugh

Patrick
1/14/18 3:21 p.m.
XLR99 said:

You know there are people nearby you can call and ask for moving help, right? laugh

while it would have been fun to tie Nick to the car and say GO, I was looking for a longer term solution for moving more than just this car.  Plus, I had to get it inside friday before the crap flew around noon when it turned from rain to ice.  

single digits outside, probably not getting anything done today so I ordered an 8 point roll bar kit from summit racing for under $200 with coupon code from eastsidetim.  thanks again Tim!   Challenge budget would be cheaper to buy tubes and a bender, personal budget dictates otherwise, and i tossed it on paypal credit at 0%/6mo so I don't have to pay now, couldn't swing that, but the coupon expires in a couple weeks.

Patrick
1/21/18 2:38 p.m.

it's 40 something in january.  i took some time to get things cleaned up inside the car so i can start the CAD(cardboard aided design) templates for the panels that will be made.  I've got a solid 3 hours or so to spend cleaning the garage around the car because my fabrication area looks like a bomb made of LS parts went off.  Also took a solid 2 hours or so to play basektball and baseball with Colin because it's not freezing outside.  here are some "as i clean" pictures using my trusty old ridgid vacuum that's been to hell and back including falling off a roof and being left out in the rain on several occasions

trunk area ready to begin finish fabrication

shelf behind seats that was once part of the C5 hatch area

the rat's nest on the passenger floor.  some is aftermarket stereo trash, some is who knows what, all needs figured out and removed or placed where it belongs

also spent some time with the vac removing the tar fuzz goo paper stuff that covered to roof above the headliner bows.  it's just deteriorating and falling apart as it gets sucked into the vacuum.

going back out to do some shop cleanup now since Colin is played out and watching some Bill Nye.

Patrick
1/21/18 4:06 p.m.

Mounted experimental drag skinny.  LIGHT.  Aluminum 17x5 with V rated 165/45 tire.  

Patrick
1/22/18 8:33 p.m.

Today’s good news- procurement of 2 dryers and a stove.  It was garbage morning in my sister’s neighborhood and i was going to pop some new windows in her house.  So go do good deed for sister, get rewarded by treelawns around her with free fabrication materials.  I stashed them at her house because she’s going to take them apart to get the drums out for burn barrels.  Perfect for me, i just have to deal with the outside flat sheet metal that i was after.   The stove is her current one.  A customer of mine is giving me one next week so i’m givIng it to her as it’s only a few years old.  Current stove that’s going to be killed for metal was a trash night pickup probably 8 years ago that i gave to her to use because she didn’t have one.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
1/22/18 9:34 p.m.

I'm hugely entertained that you removed the body, replaced it with a different body, and now you're thinking about cleaning up the stereo wiring. Priorities. 

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
1/22/18 9:51 p.m.

I'm having the furnace replaced this Thursday.....thinkin' of keeping the old one for said sheet steel...oh and the squirrel cage fan ...Pat, what say ye???? 

Patrick
1/28/18 4:17 p.m.

Turns out a c5 corvette roll bar main hoop does indeed fit perfectly in a corvair on a c5 chassis.  Darth Nader™ marches on

mounted a test 17x9.5 on back.  Much less ridiculous looking.  Called it for today when I smashed my finger between the roll bar hoop and window crank thing for the quarter glass.  

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/28/18 4:56 p.m.

is it just me, or is Darth Nader a bit pigeon-toed?

Patrick
1/28/18 6:02 p.m.
sleepyhead said:

is it just me, or is Darth Nader a bit pigeon-toed?

Steering rack is in a box in the garage.  Easier to mess with harmonic balancers that way.  

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/28/18 6:29 p.m.

ah, thought I was looking at the back

Patrick
2/5/18 7:13 a.m.
sleepyhead said:

ah, thought I was looking at the back

Ah.  The body bulges out along the middle kinda like a person sporting a spare tire from too many big macs.  The top line is straight and below that the body has much curvitude.  

Patrick
2/5/18 7:15 a.m.

Forgot to throw these up earlier.

Patrick
3/6/18 12:58 p.m.

Have been cleaning shop, but a minor major development.  I just found my 2005-2007 receipts from when ls1 intakes were worthless and that time I cleaned out the online parts store closing sale when everything was 90% off with free shipping.  Hello mister $18 aluminum radiator and $3 bosch oxygen sensors.   (Evil laugh here)

java230
java230 SuperDork
3/6/18 2:04 p.m.

This is Amazing. Carry on :D

Patrick
3/6/18 2:12 p.m.

Oh yeah, my wife Carli is awesome for those of you who don’t know.  She brought me home a filing cabinet the other day because free sheetmetal 

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/6/18 2:12 p.m.

Love that gantry crane! I absolutely need to replicate it for lifting the body off the Rice Rod. I must have missed that post last month. Thanks for sharing.

AxeHealey
AxeHealey GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/6/18 2:36 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

Cleveland Heights is a trash-on-the curb city. I'll keep my eye out for you.

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
3/6/18 5:49 p.m.

Pman...you've been kinda elusive on the powertrain program.....is that your trump card???

Patrick
3/6/18 6:27 p.m.

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JNmifVtdKZbh74Gy80Gq7vBOMgX7vQcQbQ4EoaeR7KD2fIiGQNhvcTVSDXGjARkt