1 ... 9 10 11
wae
wae UltimaDork
10/21/24 1:28 p.m.

Dropping air pressure has absolutely helped the handling, but the vibration is still present.  Next up, I'm going to see about having Tire Discounters balance the tires on their Hunter machine.  I recall going through something like this on the Mazda 5 way back when - my usual tire store has a not-Hunter Roadforce machine and I guess the tires all balanced okay on that, but when TD put them on the Roadforce, the vibration stopped.

In other news, I got the new seat covers today and the color isn't exactly what I was hoping for, but it'll be fine.  I need to scare up the seat heaters that I have in storage over at the shop somewhere and get a hog ring pliers and some hog rings.

This weekend, I took the car down to Bowling Green via the long way to pick up my daughter, bring her home, and then made the round trip a second time to take her back to school.  Since October 1st, I've put just shy of 2,000 miles on the car!  Just making up for lost time, I guess!

David_H
David_H New Reader
10/21/24 2:29 p.m.

If you have the 65 MPH "shimmy" i found the hunter road force down to 10 lbs (or less) helps alot, problem is finding a shop will to do the extra work to get down that low. I have searched the forums and found a thread here where Keith T. (here on GRMS forms) had adjusted someones PPF/pinion angle to 66 mm from the top of the PPF to the plane at the frame rails (straight edge across frame rails). I adjusted mine from 60 mm to around 65 (slipped when tightening the PPF to trans bolts back up) and my shimmy is almost completely gone. May be worth a try.

wae
wae UltimaDork
10/21/24 2:55 p.m.

In reply to David_H :

I did set the PPF alignment when I put the first driveshaft on...  and took it back off...  but it would be worth double-checking it.  I was pretty frustrated at the time, so it's possible that I didn't take a good measurement.

A question for you though...  When you say to "take it down that low" to 10lb or less on the Roadforce machine, what do you mean by that?  I want to be able to converse intelligently with the shop and I'm not familiar with what a Roadforce machine does that a static balancer doesn't other than somehow simulating pressure from the pavement or something like that.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
10/21/24 3:20 p.m.

Feel free to stop by and steal the wheels off my Miata for a short stretch too, to confirm if it's the wheels/tires or something else.

David_H
David_H New Reader
10/21/24 3:21 p.m.

In reply to wae :

Roadforce simulates the force exerted on the tire when it rolls on the road by applying a controlled load of some amount (1000 lbs or more), the lower the force number the better the balance, most vehicles are fine with the standard 40-20 lb balance but with the NA being extra sensitive 10lbs or less gives the best results.

Deeper dive here

roadforce

wae
wae UltimaDork
10/21/24 3:53 p.m.

In reply to David_H :

Thanks for the explainer!  I've gone ahead and made an appointment to have a local shop put them on their machine tomorrow.  Interestingly, I called three shops and the first two said that while they did have Road Force machines, they were down and "Hunter was having some problems". 

In reply to eastsideTim :

I appreciate the offer to borrow your wheels and tires...  If the balancing job doesn't get it done and the PPF measurement is in spec, I will probably take you up on that.

1 ... 9 10 11

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eSgtF2BuD1Zdj8Lo1ko3KDVdftb88ogmLAReJNyjWpgN8qp0SVnKBfZhwU3INqtw