1 2
irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
10/9/19 7:16 p.m.
shagles said:

I went to leave for lunch today and my steering wheel wouldn't unlock. Apparently Ira a fairly common problem on these cars so there's a decent amount of google help. I tried the non invasive methods but nothing worked, so now my steering wheel won't ever lock again. One screw, remove the lower plastic cover, drill one 11/32" hole, and pull out a spring and it's permanently disabled. Thank you google. 

For what it's worth, stage rally cars are required to have the steering wheel lock permanently disabled. So now you're one step closer to the stages ;)

shagles
shagles New Reader
10/9/19 7:33 p.m.

In reply to irish44j :

I actually thought about that before i went ahead with it. Told my buddy that was "supervising" that it was the first "race car" mod. 

shagles
shagles New Reader
10/10/19 9:30 p.m.

Changed the oil tonight. It's was pretty black. New crush washer should hopefully stop the last crippling from there. Looks like the lower timing case is in fact leaking. I also found out that the driver side of the rear swaybar wasn't even in the link bushing. Maybe that's why i almost dragged the mirror on the ground yesterday.... Got it back in after disconnecting both sides and applying some liberal silicone lube. Should be all ready for the autocross on Saturday, and then I'm picking up a set of Altimax's Artics for $125!

Edit: Oh! And I'm getting a APC seat in really good shape from a buddy that took it out of his Optima car. 

shagles
shagles New Reader
10/13/19 6:13 p.m.

Kräppewagen completed its first autocross yesterday. For our local club, I was in class 1, which is anything on street tires and under 2.0L. It was me, a bunch of Miatas, and a pretty well set up CRX, so I'm sure you're all surprised that I was DFL. 
However, I'm pretty sure that I had more fun than anyone else there. With blown out stock suspension and old, hard 205 all seasons, I spent at least 50% of the course somewhat sideways. It was the slowest/worst result I've ever had, but also the most fun I've ever had. I can't wait to get this thing in the dirt. 

Edit: Here's a video of one of my afternoon runs. The morning ones were colder and more slippery, so more sideways, but my GoPro wouldn't turn on. 

Well I can't embed the video for whatever reason. Here's the link if you feel like watching. 

Also, picked up a set of nearly new Altimax Artics for $125

shagles
shagles New Reader
10/17/19 2:27 p.m.

I got my APC seat mounted yesterday. It only took 2 lunch periods to modify the sliders to fit the stock mounting locations. I'll eventually make a better bracket to mount the sliders to so that the seat moves back up a little bit and bit further towards the center of the car. It's not bad at all as is, but if I'm doing something custom already, might as well make it perfect. Or as close as I'm capable of getting.

shagles
shagles Reader
11/15/19 10:03 a.m.

So something weird happened yesterday. I drove Kräppewagen to work and until I stopped for some coffee, it drove fine. Ran through the gears and cruised down the highway at 73 without any issue. After I restarted it to head the rest of the way to work, it decided that redline was now 3500 RPM. When I checked the codes, there was a code for the crankshaft position sensor and pending codes for the knock sensors. It still ran fine up to 3500, so I limped it into work that way. Cleared the codes and restarted again and it immediately did the same thing. Figured I'd just get a new sensor and replace it. Well I went to head home at the end of the day, cleared the codes, and they didn't come back, and it rev'd freely up as high as I wanted. I checked again this morning, and still no codes. Could the CPS be getting pissed off after it gets hot? One off instance? I'm not really sure what to do now.

shagles
shagles Reader
2/16/20 8:03 a.m.

Well this kinda died for a little bit. For whatever reason, i didn't have the 3500 rev limit issue come up again for a while. It's definitely back now though. I went ahead and bought a new crankshaft position sensor that will be going in next weekend. 

In the meantime, i decided to go full race car and started stripping the interior. I'll grab some pictures of where I'm at so far and try to weigh all of the stuff that comes out. Since the AC doesn't work I'm considering pulling that too. It would give me a lot more room in the engine bay. 

Our local rallycross hasn't kicked off yet, but I'll be going to an autocross at Lonestar Park on March 1st so I'm hoping to have a bunch of weight out and everything running right again. 

shagles
shagles Reader
2/22/20 7:51 a.m.

Got the cps swapped last night and cleared the code. It didn't come back so I'm hoping it's all good now. Going for a drive this morning so I'll find out

shagles
shagles Reader
3/11/20 8:58 a.m.

Seems like all is good with the new sensor. Now to figure out why my left blinker stopped working....

shagles
shagles Reader
4/9/20 7:11 a.m.

Been working on little stuff on lunch breaks during this quarantine. Blinker issue was a 2 element bulb in a 1 element socket causing a short which blew the blinker fuse and fried half of the relay. New $10 relay from the bay, new fuse, correct bulb and all is good. 

Relocated the broken OBD2 plug so that i can unplug my Bluetooth unit and not drain the battery. I drilled the holes too low and haven't been bothered to fix it yet so the hole I cut isn't covered all the way. 

Replaced the door handle gaskets. 

Finally did the stud conversion. Some gorilla must have put the lug nuts on the last time. I twisted the end off of a 3/8" shorty extension trying to get them loose. Thank goodness for impact rated extensions. 

I started working on the timing cover gasket. Since we aren't going anywhere i can take up the garage for now, so it's sitting on ramps and jack stands. So far I've used a 1/4" extension to lock the flywheel and broke the crank bolt loose. Should be starting disassembly today at lunch. 

shagles
shagles Reader
4/24/20 1:50 p.m.

Sorry for the lack of pictures, I had limited time to work each day and was trying to get as much done as I could.

I started following a DIY post I found (here) but quickly realized that I should take the approach I do when changing any fluids: Make sure I can get the fill bolt out before I drain the fluid. So I wanted to make sure I could get the crank bolt loose before I took everything else off, and then had to put it back on. After some searching under the car and online, I found the hole that gives access to the flywheel locking hole and the dimensions for the pin that BMW sells to fit said hole. Since that pin is $20+ and would take around 2 weeks to get to me, I started measuring things I had laying around. I figured out that a 1/4" extension fits just about perfectly, so I cut the wobble portion off of one and shoved it in the flywheel. After that, breaking the crank bolt loose was easier than it should have been, and I disassembled the rest of the front of the motor. 

After a lot of cleaning, putting the new gaskets in their slots, and putting on some gasket locker, I put it all back together. Turns out that doing both halves of the timing cover without taking the valve cover off is possible, but not easy. I fought with getting the bottom half on and lined up with the bolt holes due to the new/not compressed rubber gasket between the halves. I finally had the idea to get a couple bolts on each half just barely started through the covers, and then wedge both halves in at the same time. Thankfully it worked like a charm.

Everything went fine after that until I went to tighten the bolts that go through the valve cover and into the upper timing cover. For some unknown reason, a BMW engineer in all his wisdom decided to make those bolts aluminum. And I checked, they are NOT one time use bolts. When you change the valve cover, you're supposed to put new rubber grommets on the old aluminum bolts. As I'm sure you've guessed, I ended up snapping the threads off of the last one. I found some bolt extractors that I had borrowed from a friend several months before and got to work. Thankfully the hole in the valve cover that the bolt passes through is oversized, so the burnishing tool fit through just fine. After stepping through all 3 sizes of extractors, I finally got the bolt to back out enough that I could grab it with some vice grips and twist in the rest of the way out. But that meant taking the covers back off again... Joy.

Eventually I got it all back together minus that broken bolt and filled it up with coolant. Before I ran it though, I wanted to replace the bolt. The cheapest I found it was $16 and 2 weeks shipping. Berk that. I found a long 6mm bolt, cut the head off, and used the 2 nut method to thread it into the timing cover. Then a nut, washer, and the rubber grommet from the broken bolt went on and my single stud conversion was complete! 

After some cooling system bleeding, tightening some hose clamps, and some driving while very closely monitoring coolant temps, it seems like everything is working fine. Also looks like I eliminated the biggest source of oil leakage by far. I'll be driving on short trips around town for the next little while to be sure. I do know that I need to get a new radiator sooner rather than later since its dripping at the bottom driver side corner. Thankfully the end tank seems to intact and its the core itself leaking. Time to find an all aluminum one on craigslist.

I know long posts without pictures aren't a lot of fun, so thanks to anyone that's reading this. I'll be taking more pictures on future stuff, like the further interior and wiring stripping that should be happening soon.

shagles
shagles Reader
6/22/20 4:11 p.m.

Well, Kräppewagen will be up for sale very shortly. After some time away from any "racing" activities, I realized that I didn't miss it much, so I've decided to give my time/money priority to scuba diving and woodworking right now. I'll still be around and I'm sure I'll be back with another car in the next couple of years.

shagles
shagles Reader
7/20/20 11:51 a.m.
1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4dcRuMfJ48yET0exYBN5O6br9M5sevMeB5DYJQbvGN6k7yN32R2aze5Qqe0vmKla