1 ... 7 8 9 10
Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso UltraDork
8/28/23 1:45 p.m.

Catching up from last weekend.  I finally got the new fuel system installed.  Started off by making any GM pickup fuel pump replacement as easy as possible.  I took off the bed.

Then proceeded to yank the stock assembly out.

As discussed above, the truck came factory with a returnless system.  That meant that the truck had an internal regulator in the stock fuel pump basket.  I decided to go return style by using a Kemso 340lph fuel pump.  I began tearing the whole thing apart.  This is fine...

Okay, some careful redneck engineering and it's back together.

All back together.  Using 8AN feed and 6AN return with a Summit in-line filter.  I had to add a bulkhead to the stock fuel pump hat which had almost zero room for.  In the end I got it to work.  PQY (Sloppy Mechanics favorite) rising rate fuel pressure regulator (not pictured yet) was also installed in the engine bay.

Scotty Con Queso
8/28/23 1:47 p.m.

This weekend I tried to fire up the truck with the new fuel system and the Terminator X.  Stock handheld just didn't want to get the truck to run/idle.  So I called up my tuner and by called up my tuner I mean I sent Racetruckron a message on Facebook and he built me an actual base tune instead of relying on the handheld setup.  Busy tonight so we'll see if I can load the tune tomorrow night and get the truck running properly.  Fingers crossed. 

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/28/23 7:44 p.m.

In reply to Scotty Con Queso :

You have a pretty simple setup that's similar to my setup so that global file is mostly copy pasta but we'll get it ironed out. You really need that Holley CAN to USB so we can live tune the fuel and idle tables. 

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
8/28/23 8:04 p.m.

In reply to Scotty Con Queso :

That's a stunningly rust free and clean frame for a Pennsylvania truck.

Scotty Con Queso
8/29/23 8:33 a.m.

In reply to Indy - Guy :

(whispers) It's from Arizona. 

Scotty Con Queso
9/6/23 2:05 p.m.

Got this thing up and running with the help of RacetruckRon.  His tune started the truck with minimal drama.  The one thing I had to do was adjust the throttle blade to get the IAC back in spec.  

Maybe this weekend I'll get to coilovers but I doubt it.  Busy with kid's sports and then I have to travel a bit.  

Scotty Con Queso
10/27/23 10:37 a.m.

I've been digging deep to get this thing on the road before the snow flies but I keep getting redirected thanks to life commitments. 

I installed Coilovers a few weeks ago and need to adjust final ride height. I'm waiting for a free weekend (maybe next weekend) to install cal tracs and rear lowering blocks. 

The truck runs better than ever which is great. Still some fine tuning.

I need to summon my inner "Ron" like Ryan talked about and get this done! 

Scotty Con Queso
11/18/23 2:07 p.m.

GRM first look. Cousin Eddie status: achieved. Coilovers and Cal Tracs installed. Time to adjust. 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/18/23 3:26 p.m.
Scotty Con Queso said:

GRM first look. Cousin Eddie status: achieved. Coilovers and Cal Tracs installed. Time to adjust. 

White Chevy pickup lowered over steelies. Status check confirmed.

Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter)
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
11/18/23 3:31 p.m.

Cousin Eddie approved ! If I had your truck, I'd throw mine away. 

Side note, Cousin Eddie's truck is no longer up to Cousin Eddie spec. It has aluminum wheels now.

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
11/19/23 9:09 a.m.

Love this thing!  Great work on such a clean OEM + swap.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/19/23 12:16 p.m.
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) said:

Cousin Eddie approved ! If I had your truck, I'd throw mine away. 

Side note, Cousin Eddie's truck is no longer up to Cousin Eddie spec. It has aluminum wheels now.

I kinda feel like there should be an Amber Alert for Cousin_Eddie. 

Scotty Con Queso
12/11/23 9:46 a.m.

Saturday the weather was decent enough to get the coilover perches tightened, tightening of the sway bar links I forgot, heat tape on the heater core hoses, and putting fender liners back in.  It then started raining so no driving so I felt accomplished.

Good to feel like the truck is buttoned up for the winter.  I'll be in a good place to drive it come spring time. 

nsogiba
nsogiba Reader
12/20/23 8:32 p.m.

Loving this thing. Talk about OEM+. 

Scotty Con Queso
2/10/24 11:43 a.m.

Been watching Sick Week coverage on YT pretty much non stop since it started.  Really got me thinking about long-term goals for the truck.  Ideally I'd like to do a few drag and drives with the truck and spend as much time at the strip as possible.  The AR5 just is okay but honestly I like it way less than I thought I would.  Thinking of going auto, specifically a non-electric GM transmission.

Any input on a budget auto setup?  Would need to have a trans brake of course.  I figure between selling my AR5 setup and selling the spare unit I have, I'll have at least $1,500 to play with.

nsogiba
nsogiba Reader
2/12/24 12:13 p.m.

4L80E all day long. Don't bother with anything else including the 60E. With a good converter it will be a blast to drive and the 80E has huge strength and reliability behind big power if you ever do forced induction. 

RacetruckRon
2/12/24 1:59 p.m.

How much freeway driving do you want to do with the truck? Would turbo 400 gearing be tolerable or is that overdrive in the 4L80 necessary?

Scotty Con Queso
2/12/24 6:45 p.m.

Hmm. Thinking about it, OD would be nice. What's the best way to shift it? Manual valve body? It is there other options with an electric transmission? 

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
2/12/24 10:22 p.m.
Scotty Con Queso said:

Hmm. Thinking about it, OD would be nice. What's the best way to shift it? Manual valve body? It is there other options with an electric transmission? 

I've seen household light switches be used.

RacetruckRon
2/12/24 10:50 p.m.
Scotty Con Queso said:

Cough stock pcm cough cheeky

nsogiba
nsogiba Reader
2/14/24 10:54 a.m.

Shame you didn't get the Terminator X Max to control a trans. The overdrive gear is really nice. 

Scotty Con Queso
2/14/24 9:53 p.m.

Yeah wish I would have sprung for the x max but oh well. Live and learn and all that. 

Any input on using this with a floor/ratchet shifter?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/314610498729?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=4qcidiv-rvm&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=e1W_63bVR0O&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
2/15/24 7:32 a.m.

Never seen that, but thats a neat solution 

OneSickGNX
OneSickGNX Reader
4/16/24 10:36 p.m.

Hey Scotty, hows it going? I may be able to help with the 4L80 if you're still thinking about it. I have an early (96 I think) 4L80 core I would be willing to part with for a couple of beers and some tacos lol.

OneSickGNX
OneSickGNX Reader
4/16/24 10:36 p.m.

Hey Scotty, hows it going? I may be able to help with the 4L80 if you're still thinking about it. I have an early (96 I think) 4L80 core I would be willing to part with for a couple of beers and some tacos lol.

1 ... 7 8 9 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lso7bACXnri99SCWh74dzJSowbycow7cr3B39EQmsTlOu79nU4CtK0r6NqSWzbmZ