1 ... 5 6 7 8
docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
10/12/23 11:32 a.m.

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

That's kind of a light pastel blue?  I know my wife would like that but I think I want to go with something brighter.  I've seen a few Calvary blue tundra's, that looks like a greyish pastel blue to me.  Not sure on that...

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise PowerDork
10/12/23 11:45 a.m.

In reply to docwyte :

if you like bright (like my wrx was), you wont like my FJC 

I like it due to its rarity. I dont like blue, personally speaking.

Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/12/23 12:56 p.m.

There is a Toyota Neptune Blue that is pretty bright as well if you plan to keep it a Toyota color

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
10/13/23 12:53 p.m.

Dropped the winch and front license plate off at the shop this morning.  Checked out the rig, they've got it torn down as much as they can until the roof panel shows up.  PDR place did a good job.  Snorkel is off, I bought the rig with it already installed so I was able to check out that install.  Which was mediocre.  I mean, they got all the holes in the right spot and did paint them but the main hole for the snorkel wasn't cut very cleanly and you can see where they bent metal.  Not sure why they felt they needed to do that.  At least now the entire fender will get painted, then the snorkel reinstalled.  I should've taken pics, but I forgot.

Body shop will send in a supplement, then let me know how much it'd be to color change it.  I've decided to go with the brighter Toyota Voodoo blue if I do it.  I might buy a Ruf front bumper setup for my 911 and will spend the money on that vs a color change on the 200....

Nemesis_FJ60
Nemesis_FJ60 New Reader
10/17/23 12:33 p.m.

In reply to docwyte :

32K+.  Body-off color change on my 87 FJ60 restomod. That includes some sheet metal work (75' Ford Bronco Taillights, 3L spreaders for F/R side markers, closing snake blinder holes, etc.) and sound/heat spraying (all interior surfaces, firewall, etc.). Body guy said for a body-on color change, maybe 15-20K. 

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
10/17/23 12:39 p.m.

In reply to Nemesis_FJ60 :

Definitely not doing a body off color change.  Not removing the power train or the interior.  Since the truck is already painted black, if I do a color change I'll be keeping the engine bay black.  If someone removes all the interior and carpets, that'll be black too but the door jambs etc will be painted.

So basically, with the exception of the engine bay being black, the only way you'd be able to tell the truck wasn't that color originally would be to remove the interior and carpets.  Most people won't even realize the engine bay wasn't black leaving the factory, as many OEM's do that.

Nemesis_FJ60
Nemesis_FJ60 New Reader
10/17/23 1:44 p.m.

In reply to docwyte :

Color changes are extremely difficult - at least it was for me. The 87 came from the factory in silver. As the restomod plan evolved and eventually mutated into her soon-to-be final rendition, I found the paint choice to be among the most difficult. Initially picked Porsche aventurine green until I saw it on a test panel. Eventually went through 5 colors, ultimately deciding on Dark Emerald Green Metallic. Maybe have a local wrap shop do a panel or two in the color you're thinking before committing to the color change? I love unique and a 200 series in your color choice would exemplify unique. . .unicorn unique! Combined with the other tasteful mods, you'd have a one-off 200 build that I'd be happy to have in my own garage. 

Jason (trail-tailor.com) is my builder and has done some incredible work on 200 series rigs. There are other shops closer to you but IMO, Jason is simply the best in the business and can engineer/fab unique, limited by the owner's imagination and pocketbook. 

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
10/17/23 2:03 p.m.

In reply to Nemesis_FJ60 :

Slee is literally in my backyard, so for any work I don't want to do myself I'll farm out to them.  Although at this point I have no other plans to modify the 200, it's setup to handle any of the trails I'd run around here and is massive overkill for its primary mission as my DD.  The body shop I use generally has somewhere around 80-100 million dollars worth of old Porsches getting restored, so their work is phenomenal.  I'm pretty set on Voodoo blue if I change the color.  Most of it will boil down to finances, the shop sent in a supplement to my insurance, based on that they'll get me a quote for the color change. 

If it's something I can justify to myself, I'll do it.  Otherwise I'll just keep it the factory color and have the front Rhino bumper painted to match.

Placemotorsports
10/17/23 4:02 p.m.

Could just vinyl wrap and dump the money in the Porsche

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
10/17/23 4:33 p.m.

In reply to Placemotorsports :

Well, insurance is going to pay for the majority of the paint.  Right now it's everything but the doors and the body shop is doing a supplement, so maybe they'll pay for those too.  At that point all I'd have to pay for is to paint the door jambs. 

I've also discovered that the wraps are not cheap at all, to the point that I just wouldn't do one...

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
10/25/23 10:09 a.m.

Still waiting on the roof panel to show up, hopefully this week.  Shop hasn't gotten the supplement back from USAA (no surprise there) so I still haven't gotten the quote for a color change.  I talked with the body shop yesterday, I want to have the rest of the chrome deleted too.  I'm not sure if the door trim is held on with clips or body tape.  If it's body tape I asked them to just remove the trim entirely, if it's clips, then either paint it or have it wrapped.  I also asked them to give the grill and rear hatch chrome to the ppf place so they can wrap it and delete the chrome.  I'm going after this look...

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
11/2/23 8:56 a.m.

Very happy to hear that the body shop got the second roof skin in yesterday and it's undamaged!  Sweet!  So now they can start working on it, ironically tomorrow was the original date I had scheduled to drop it off with them.  So I didn't really save any time, as all they really did was pull off the front bumper while waiting for the roof skin to arrive. 

I should hear from the body shop today about the color change quote and I'll pick up another rental car today too.  Only have it for 25 days, so hopefully the body shop can get it done by then, otherwise I'll be returning the rental the Friday right after Thanksgiving...

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
11/3/23 7:03 p.m.

Body shop is moving fast, the roof is off, rear 3rd quarter windows are out, window trim is off.  

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
11/8/23 10:26 a.m.

Got a call from the body shop yesterday, he gave me a ball park quote for a color change, which included doing the door jambs.  At least $8500, ouch.  Well, that's an easy decision, I'm not changing the color of the Cruiser.  That's just too much for me to spend, I can't justify that, even if I had tons of cash to burn.

So the plan is to do the chrome delete.  Front grill and chrome on the rear tail gate will get wrapped satin black.  Window trim will get replaced with the OEM Toyota black trim, the door time will get removed if it's held in place with tape.  If it's held in place with grommets, the body shop will either paint it or have it wrapped too.  I've heard they're held in place with grommets, but the Heritage Editions don't have this door trim and I have a really hard time believing Toyota made new door skins just for the Heritage Editions.  Body shop said they'd pull the interior panel off a door and check.  Body shop will paint the "wings" of the front bumper, so basically the right and left sides of it and leave the center section as is.  They're going to install the winch for me and if needed, cut the cross brace (the winch might hit it) and then brace up the sides of that support if they do cut it. 

The Heritage Editions came with some cool script "Land Cruiser" badges on the D pillars.  I've been playing with getting them ever since I got the 200, decided might as well do it now.  Top tip, instead of spending $550+ (!!) on the Heritage Edition badges, you can buy OEM Toyota FJ40 front fender badges for $64 shipped.  They look almost exactly the same, all you do is cut off the mounting studs, put body tape on them and pat yourself on the back for saving $500.  So I ordered up a set.

They're pretty confident I'll get it back by the end of the month, which is good as that's the extent of the rental car coverage I have left. 

I picked up my rental Monday, I got a Ford Expedition.  Which was very nice, but so large that it didn't fit into my garage!  I emailed the rental car place and yesterday they asked me to drop by and swap out rentals.  They gave me a Mercedes GLC300, which has all of 1250 miles on it!  Quite a nice ride, still trying to figure out how everything works on it tho...

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
11/16/23 9:03 a.m.

Progress!  Roof is back on, that's nice to see...

Rear quarter panels are fixed

Think they've gotten the new hood on too, paint is done.  Nice to see everything where the Safari snorkel was installed cleaned up.

Drivers front looking good.

So, getting there.  Lots still to do, like reassemble everything, check to see if the door moldings are pinned or taped on (then remove or black them out), install the winch, polish it all, get clear bra on the front end, etc, etc.  End of the month is still in play, thankfully...

Placemotorsports
11/16/23 9:17 a.m.

Dang lot of work for sure!  Good time too clear the sunroof drains lol

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
11/17/23 6:34 p.m.

In reply to Placemotorsports :

Never going to have better access!

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/18/23 9:02 a.m.

Are you deleting the snorkel?

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
11/18/23 9:33 a.m.

In reply to OHSCrifle :

No, I'd have to replace the fender, plus have the body shop weld up the A pillar to do that.  Plus buy some airbox parts.  I just don't care to spend the money, since I've gotten the off road front bumper the snorkel "fits" into the look of the truck better now.

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
11/18/23 1:24 p.m.

Got the FJ40 fender badges in, which I'm going to use on the D pillar like the Heritage Edition has.

Here they are

They have studs on the back of them, which I need to remove

Dremel made quick work of cutting the studs off, then I used a cheap Hammer Store belt sander to sand them flat.  Who makes a decent belt sander?  This Hammer Store one isn't long for this world...

Once I get the truck back from the body shop I'll figure out exactly where I'm going to mount these, then bend them slightly to match the truck.  Some 3M Body tape will hold them in place

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
11/21/23 4:13 p.m.

Body shop has test fitted the winch and cut the cross brace.  They're leaving the wiring of it and loading the pull rope for me to do.  They're waiting for the rear quarter windows to come in, still need to paint the sides of the bumper and put a bunch of stuff together, plus ppf.  They think they'll be done at the end of the month still...

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
12/15/23 3:51 p.m.

After over 3 months (!!) I've finally got the 200 back in my garage.  It turned out well, but now the parts of the truck that weren't painted and have little scrapes on them show up to me more.  Sigh. 

It turned out to take longer and cost more than I thought.  I did end up paying the shop to install the winch, make the support bars for the lower rad support that had to get cut for the winch and paint the front bumper sides.  Turned out well though, tomorrow morning my friend and I will hook the power up to the winch and wind the rope onto it and it'll be done.  Well, then I need to install the heritage edition D pillar badges...

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/16/23 11:57 a.m.

Looks pretty good Doc. They did a pretty good job it looks like.

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
12/16/23 3:55 p.m.

Thanks, it turned out well.  I can't believe the difference the black window trim makes!  Today I wired up the winch, put on the "Heritage Edition" D pillar badges and then my friend and I tensioned the ropes on our winches by winching one Land Cruiser up the hill in the parking lot to the other.

Wiring the winch was a PITA!  I hadn't put the ground cable on the winch, then the body shop didn't either.  So getting to the stud to attach the ground cable was an enormous PITA with the winch already installed.  I managed to ninja it on, then ran the cables to the battery, hooked it up, tested the winch (which worked, yay!) then tidied things up with zip ties etc. 

You can see the cross bracing the body shop did, since the lower grill/headlight support needs to be cut out for the winch to fit.  You can also see my super awesome fold down license plate mount, haha.

Then I put the grill back on.  After that, I bent the FJ40 badges to fit the contour of the truck, put on 3M body tape and stuck em on.

After that we went to the parking lot and winched each other up the hill to tension the ropes.  Super happy I got the wireless controller because plugging it in is a PITA.  Rig is done for now, really nothing else I need to do but buy some soft shackles and D rings to use with the winch.

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
12/17/23 7:33 p.m.

Much to my annoyance, while driving my dog to the ranch yesterday to drop him off I picked up a rock in the windshield.  Argh! Literally the first day driving it in 3+ months and this happens. Hopefully it doesn't crack before I can get it fixed in another few weeks. 

1 ... 5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0JmoGOZ9750dFNEr85voujFns9ec4BnZ5hcZbxRj9ldtSSa2NmoX5rn3okuGsavp