1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12
a_florida_man
a_florida_man GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/21/22 7:54 p.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to a_florida_man :

If it helps I've heard on the internet that it's D44 guts so it must be true.

There we have it! lol

Anyways I have this extra one to tear down and confirm at least. 

Thinking I should be able to budget build it though....

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
7/21/22 8:27 p.m.

Probably some good info over in that Jaaaaag forum.

a_florida_man
7/21/22 8:40 p.m.

In reply to Indy - Guy :

There might be. Honestly when it starts to move away from stock... a lot of those forums sort of drop off. 

I guess GRM has spoiled me.

I hit on the D44 connection with parts searches.

Armed with the D44/Jag info I did find some Jag forum discussions, but once again, no detailed "here's how dana parts cross over / work in a Jag IRS" kind of stuff. They all seem to freak out and shut people down with ominous warnings of how the TCM will kill you if you give it an out of sync speed signal. I have a solution for that, so I ain't skeerd.

Don't get me wrong Im sure there is a Jag enthusiast site somewhere that goes deeper into turning wrenches as opposed to writing checks.... just haven't found the right one yet.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/21/22 8:54 p.m.

Did you find a mguar guy that kept talking about how the Jag V12 was better than a BBC?  Yeah a bunch of crazies on those Jaguar forums.

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
7/21/22 9:19 p.m.

A Jag forum like that? Lol stick to GRM. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
7/21/22 10:45 p.m.
a_florida_man said:

Don't get me wrong Im sure there is a Jag enthusiast site somewhere that goes deeper into turning wrenches as opposed to writing checks.... just haven't found the right one yet.

:gestures around at the forum:

a_florida_man
7/21/22 10:47 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:
a_florida_man said:

:gestures around at the forum:

OUTSIDE of this forum, obviously. lol

I would not degrade GRM by calling it a "Jag enthusiast site". :)

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/21/22 11:12 p.m.
Indy - Guy said:

Probably some good info over in that Jaaaaag forum.

Not that I've found.  Far more concerned about finding "the guy"  or having the dealer do it.  
    On the XJS there is a 600+ page free  "book" with a lot of good information I don't know of anything on the newer Jags but haven't spent any time looking. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/21/22 11:21 p.m.

I can't help you with newer stuff but I have used a lot of the Dana 44 with the 3:54 limited slip.  I have seen the Dana 44 ring gear adapted to the Salisbury housing.  
  Camp Chaos by Bob Knodt shows you how on U tube.  

a_florida_man
7/21/22 11:25 p.m.
frenchyd said:

I can't help you with newer stuff but I have used a lot of the Dana 44 with the 3:54 limited slip.  I have seen the Dana 44 ring gear adapted to the Salisbury housing.  
  Camp Chaos by Bob Knodt shows you how on U tube.  

Excelent. 3.54 was my first thought. Ill take alook.

Thanks frenchy!

a_florida_man
7/23/22 3:42 p.m.

It's a dana.

Looks like a standard 44 more or less.

More disassemble to come.

Looks like the pinion uses shims and the carrier offset is adjustable by the case nuts.

Kind of excited by this.... :)

Guess Im actually happy it wasn't a jag 3.27, because, now I know more.

a_florida_man
7/23/22 3:45 p.m.

Also looks like alot of the water in the car was coming from a failed gas cap drain.

mmmm yummy.

Rusted right off at the neck.

a_florida_man
8/3/22 9:05 p.m.

Documentation dump.... sorry, engine is still in the car.... but the garage is cleaner!

I didn't know how long this would be available on FB ... so for the build book, here it is.  $2300 was where the negotiation started.... ended at $1200.

Proof the Garage is "clean" raising the chances of engine removal to 75-80%

Looks like the differential is indeed standard Dana 44 ring and pinion,,, but the carrier looks to be 100% Jaguar. '25' Splines?

Good news, carrier shims aren't needed:

Cover is well made, vent is shielded, large magnet right where the ring slings oil, lots of fins...

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
8/4/22 9:57 p.m.
a_florida_man said:

In reply to Indy - Guy :

There might be. Honestly when it starts to move away from stock... a lot of those forums sort of drop off. 

I guess GRM has spoiled me.

I hit on the D44 connection with parts searches.

Armed with the D44/Jag info I did find some Jag forum discussions, but once again, no detailed "here's how dana parts cross over / work in a Jag IRS" kind of stuff. They all seem to freak out and shut people down with ominous warnings of how the TCM will kill you if you give it an out of sync speed signal. I have a solution for that, so I ain't skeerd.

Go to UTube.  Robert Knodt  Camp Chaos.  Most of it is about the Jaguar XJS but he does have stuff on the rear end which is pretty interchangeable 

a_florida_man
8/6/22 12:34 p.m.

Film at 11....

a_florida_man
8/6/22 1:04 p.m.

For reference 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
8/6/22 2:19 p.m.

How much time did it take to. Actually pull it?  Would it have been easier to pull the heads etc  with the engine out of the car?  Do you intend to put it back in assembled ?   

jwagner (Forum Supporter)
jwagner (Forum Supporter) Reader
8/6/22 3:15 p.m.

"While you're in there anyway..."  I'd consider replacing the upstream O2 sensors since they're a royal pain to get to in the car.  I used Bosch, but I think Denso is the OEM part.  Or at least pull them and put some anti-seize on them in case you do have a failure.

a_florida_man
8/6/22 6:25 p.m.
frenchyd said:

How much time did it take to. Actually pull it?  Would it have been easier to pull the heads etc  with the engine out of the car?  Do you intend to put it back in assembled ?   

A couple of hours from where I started last night. Aftermarket below the axle exhaust was very helpful in that respect. I think the heads  pulled easily with the engine in the car.

I will be putting it back fully assembled. 

a_florida_man
8/6/22 6:31 p.m.
jwagner (Forum Supporter) said:

"While you're in there anyway..."  I'd consider replacing the upstream O2 sensors since they're a royal pain to get to in the car.  I used Bosch, but I think Denso is the OEM part.  Or at least pull them and put some anti-seize on them in case you do have a failure.

Yeah, so the cats failed on this car a while back, and it looks like bad mechanics, errr uhm, I mean parts changers have been replacing all of the sensors off and on over the years, multiple times. There were even a set of 02 sensors in the car NIB when I bought it. So wasteful. I see how normal people don't trust many mechanics... there are more bad ones than good im afraid.

But thanks, that's a good suggestion normally! 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
8/6/22 6:38 p.m.
a_florida_man said:

Film at 11....

For a minute, I legit thought you were trying to indicate something with yellow circles.  Didn't realize it was a cable or something

a_florida_man
8/6/22 6:43 p.m.

So, without further delay.... the offending piston:

Rod bearings look great, for 186k miles....

Rod journal looks good upon terdown as well.....

This is a really bad pic of the bore, but no surprises here either. The lines are just marks, you cannot feel them.

Heeers the problem. The rings do not appear to have broken, but all3 are seized in the piston. Also looks like the ring lands are broken too. The whole thing is in the dip right now getting cleaned. Luckily there are lots of used pistons for sale, so I can go that route if needed.

Seven more to pull.....

a_florida_man
8/6/22 6:46 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:
a_florida_man said:

Film at 11....

For a minute, I legit thought you were trying to indicate something with yellow circles.  Didn't realize it was a cable or something

I see it!

I guess I could in the future?

a_florida_man
8/6/22 7:28 p.m.

Rings siezed, but not broken. 2 Piston lands broken.

Theory....

Looks like water in the cylinder promoted a little corrosion.

Later heating cycles jammed the rings in tight and the corrosion kept them from popping back.

This also caused excess lateral pressure on the lands....

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
8/6/22 7:34 p.m.

Releasing frozen rings from pistons is a job for White vinegar. 
   Crazy I know but it's actually pretty well documented. 
  Regular white vinegar you buy at a grocery store is about 10% strength.  Go  to a hardware store or Someplace like Home Depot for the industrial stuff ( 30% ).  Rings should loosen in about 24 hours of soaking.     Leave them for a couple of more days  to get it all out so you can just replace the rings without scrapping. 

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xAAvZ3ZUaRALhFeRZy3MFm3wLEtk8LzDDiLuL3TmcWuieV5XaUYNEgnqNSqZUPm0