1 2
cheese
cheese New Reader
2/22/24 4:56 p.m.

You may know this, but the C30 was based on an earlier concept called the SCC and its departure from the typical Volvo language at the time was very intentional. I've also seen the AWD running gear from the S40 swapped in— the platform was originally designed with an AWD variant that we never got. Just in case you needed a project idea.

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
2/24/24 5:15 p.m.

Hold on to yer butts, it's here! I promised I would teach you how to pop your yolks, and here we are.

The C30 is a polarizing car. Nobody really thinks they're ok. The front os fine. it's very normal but the rear is IMO striking. 

the slight taper of the roof inwards creates these lovely hips and allows for a surprising amount of rearward visibility on the side mirrors. The taillights climb up around the all glass hatch reminiscent of the p1800.

The taillights are red and white which is surprising for a euro car as amber turn signals are required. 

Volvo navigated this challenge by fitting amber bulbs inside a  clear reflective lense shared with the reverse lamps.

Looks like someone stuck a sunny side egg to my taillights.

"Oh... yolk... I get it now." -You, probably.

This is the first time I noticed the moisture in there... so that's something to address later.

So how do we pop our yolks? 

Inside the hatch there is a carpeted plug. remove that to expose the lamps.

Disconnect the plug and remove the bulb carrier.

Swap the amber bulb for the chromed bulb. Put it back together.

No yolks, folks.

I also pulled the hood insulation because it was damaged. I may replace it eventually. Maybe not... I dunno.

I know that post might have been overwhelming for some of you. I'm sorry if I gave any of you the vapours.

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
2/27/24 4:39 a.m.

For years I've been trying to get the Camaro ready to run Maryhill. NHA safety regulations have outpaced my ability to spend money and it has become a far off dream. But I want... I need to run that hill.

This car is not a race car. Will not becone my race car, but it is safe enough to make a few runs in a lower class. It will get me on the hill long before the Camaro will.

So that is what I will do. 

I haven't even installed the fire extingusher yet and it's already not in compliance. NHA requires a 2lb fire extingusher in a metal bracket within reach of the driver, while belted in.

the front of passenger seat option does not produce mustard slices, as the sayong famously goes. I need to engineer a new mount. Something that will meet the requirements, won't damage my interior and can be easily installed and removed.

First I went about finding usable hardware. There is a removable tab in the bottom of the console with 2 screws in it. That will have to do.

Also, check it out. USB charger and an aux input in the console... Too old to know what to do with those, but... neat.

So i figured If I bent up a piece of steel sheet, had one of the dudes at work weld some exhaust piping to it I could make a halfway decent temporary mount.

The exhaust piping would fit into the cupholder and prevent the mount from moving in the X or Y axis, and the screws would prevent movement in Z. I'd really like to fix the front a little more securely but we're playing it by ear here.

This should mount the extinguisher about here.

That's all for now.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/27/24 7:01 a.m.

In reply to AClockworkGarage :

That will clear your elbow while you're driving? It sure won't clear your arm if something goes wrong.

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
2/27/24 9:10 a.m.

That seems like a really bad spot to mount a fire extinguisher

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/27/24 10:34 a.m.

There has to be an off the shelf solution. Maybe these guys ship to the US?

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/27/24 12:15 p.m.

In reply to Slippery :

I think the hangup is whether something like that can be reached while belted in.

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
2/27/24 3:09 p.m.
docwyte said:

That seems like a really bad spot to mount a fire extinguisher

It's absolutely not where I want it, but it is the only place that meets the NHA requirements.

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
2/27/24 4:36 p.m.
Slippery said:

There has to be an off the shelf solution. Maybe these guys ship to the US?

That is not dissimilar from what I currently have installed, except it takes up more leg room.

Neither of which will satisfy the NHA.

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
3/7/24 6:37 p.m.

Nothing says 'performance' quite like rattle-canned stock parts.

That looks like... something.

Found a Volvo owners club meet-up in a few weeks in Seattle. Gonna go to that and see how it goes. 

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
3/11/24 8:12 p.m.

Speaking of painting stock parts...

I put in an order for an Elevate removable rear strut tower brace in polestar blue.

(stock image from Elevate website)

Got an email last night saying they were out of blues and could send me Black or silver today or blue in like 4 weeks. I kinda want to get this thing to an autocross before too long so I messaged them back to see if they could send me a raw one and I'd paint it to match myself.

So that's what we're doing. It should be here by the weekend and I'll paint and prime it myself. This way it will be an exact match to both the bracing under the hood and the roll cage in the Z.

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
3/15/24 9:34 p.m.

It arrived today and I didn't even bring the box into the house. It might be the first nice day of the year up here in the PNW, 60 degrees and sunny. Everybody is outside today. As discussed in a previous post the blue powdercoated bars were on backorder but Elevate was nice enough to send me a raw bar.

Part of me felt bad for using the Camaro as a workbench. Not only am I not working on it, but I'm making it hold the parts, Seems mean. I really want to get here uncovered and ready for the summer, but I'm not convinced that the good weather is here to stay yet. I did go inside and drag out my folding table.

I climbed into the awkward hatch and started hacking away with a box cutter, as one does,

Elevate's instructions are top notch. Everything I've gotten from them so far comes with a full colour step by step instructions with a tool list. it included all the dimensions for each cut.

Once the cuts are made the seat latches are removed and the brackets are sandwiched between the body and the latches. the bar is then installed and the latches are tightened down.

the cut carpet is not visible behind the seats but I decided to put some double sided tape behind them anyway.

once the brackets were tightened down I removed the brace with 4 hex bolts. That is the neat thing about this particular brace, it's quickly removable in case I want to use my hatchback as a hatchback. 

The ends were powdercoated black so they were good to go. The bar got the 5 step process.

1. a good scuffing with a scotchbrite pad to get rid of any flash rust that may be on the part.
2. A thorough cleaning with a heavy duty wax and grease remover to ensure a clean surface.

3. I set up my gud-e-nuff™©® paint booth. and hit it with a few coats of self etching primer.

4. up next, Ford blue engine enamel. The problem with hanging a part like this is you wind up with a spot that never gets paint.

I solved this be flipping the part halfway through the process and hanging it from the other end.

5. Finally I hit it with a few coats of 1k high gloss clear. This was a mistake, I usually use an arcrylic laquer clear that flashes off pretty quick but I had a can of this high gloss and thought it would look great, The 1k clear takes a long time to fully cure. After two hours of curing I grabed the bar and left a perfect hand print.

Beeeeeeerk.

I tried hanging it back up and hitting it with a second coat of clear hoping it would hide the print, but all that did was make it shiny and more noticeable. I went ahead and installed it anyway. 

I will sand it back and repaint it... eventually, but it would need to be fully cured before I could do that. So here is where we stand for now.

I also removed the rear headrests, as I rarely if ever have rear seat passengers and it significantly increases rearward visibility.

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
3/19/24 9:05 p.m.

So yesterday was interesting. On my way into work I noticed that my driver's side mirror glass was swinging free.  On acceleration the bottom would swing out and away from the housing.

I have a video but I can't upload it from my phone... I may edit that in later.

I posted it in one of the C30 groups and they told me it was a known issue. The heating element behind the mirror degrades the glue over time then the glass just... falls off. I'm going to blame ford for this one.

I wrapped a few zip ties around it to get me home and set about fixing it last night after work.

The glass was barely holding on and separated pretty easily. The plastic carrier just snapped in place and it came out without too much trouble. The two heater wires were a pain, but I got em.

Cleaned both the mirror and the backing with alcohol, then gave it a thin coat of 3M E6000 adhesive. I bought that for the Camaro's T-top seals, but it should work for this too.

Left it to dry overnight and snapped it back into place before leaving for work this afternoon.

Seems to be holding up so far. We'll see how it goes.

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
3/25/24 5:27 a.m.

No big updates.

Took her up to Seattle for a Volvo meetup, Maybe 10 cars showed up. 

Got this pretty good shot looking across at the port.

and SWIMBO asked to drive her home afterwards. We've been together for 10 years and she's never wanted to drive one of my cars.

I made an appointment for the end of the week to get the tint removed. So yay... big updates.

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
5/14/24 9:34 p.m.

Tint came off no problem. Much safer to drive the car now. No pictures because it's windows down weather now.

I fixed the paint on the strut bar, and got the decal installed.

The camaro let me down so I took Pearl to the cars and coffee event instead.

Odd Cylinder Count gang represent.

Wasn't sure how the C30 would be received as it's a pretty ordinary car, but people seemed to like it. It's just weird and uncommon enough to be interesting.

Other than that she's been great. Doing daily driving service and acting as a parts runabout for the race team.

The 12v lighter port stopped working over the weekend so I've got to check that out. Wiring has always been my kryptonite so I hope it's something easy.

I still need to get her up on a lift as some point to figure out what that rattle in the back is. It sounds like a heat shield but You never know.

theruleslawyer
theruleslawyer Reader
5/15/24 10:06 a.m.

I always thought they were cool cars back in the day. Kinda like my love for the z3 clownshoe.

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
9/5/24 3:44 a.m.

No major updates, she's just been doin' daily duties.

Back on July I spent the week helping Dr Strangeland get his RX7 ready for the 4th of July fest in Auburn. His miata was down so we decided to bring the SBC swapped RX. A pair of lousy 80's V8's. 

The morning came and we hopped in the Camaro and click. Nothing. Dead battery.

I looked at SWIMBO, "We don't have time for this" and we quickly transfered everything into Pearl.

Normally I would have stayed home but this show is a don't-miss for my friends and I and we had already bought tickets so... Volvo it is.

I arrived at strangeland's house to see him prepping His Dinan E36.

"RX wouldn't start" So instead of a pair of SBC powered 80's crapcans we'd be bringing a pair of silver tuner euros.

It was in no way the star of the show and was mostly ignored by the Olds. But a few people came over, curious about the odd little hatch.

"I've never seen a car quite like this before."

"Does it really have 5 cylinders?"

"Did you import this?"

So... all in all a pretty good day.

bonylad
bonylad GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/5/24 8:01 a.m.

Awesome car mate. Love a Volvo. Never owned one, though came SUPER close to getting a 850R Saloon.Still bitter on that one. Then saw these and appreciate the driveline and quirky styling. Love to see where it goes.

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
9/18/24 4:11 a.m.

The exciting life of a daily driver. A few months back the team packed up and headed to Portland for the lucky dog race. 

Pearl was once again pressed into service as the parts runner.

A surprising amount of room in there. 

To nobody's surprise the racecar exploded and I was sent on a number of missions to find parts. This little car was the right tool for the job.

After the race I drove back to the hotel...

I pause here briefly to tell you about the volvo rule. While many cars have similar rules the volvo rule is unique as it is the only one called 'the volvo rule'

ok... fine.

The Volvo rule is very simple.

You see a cool volvo, you park next to the cool volvo.

As I pulled into the hotel parking lot I spotted a rough looking wagon. but it was quite a bit lower than stock and rolling on pegasus wheels.

Cool. 

I parked next to it. Rules is rules.

Big deal right? Later that evening I'm browsing Facebook and see a post in the volvo owners group. It's from the lady who owned the wagon.

Rules is indeed rules.

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
10/15/24 11:49 p.m.

Honestly, every day I don't have to update this thread is a day that nothing went wrong.

Pearl pulled double duty the past few weeks helping with the move. Tons of boxes, two IKEA trips just really pulling her weight.

She needs a treat.

My old neighbor is an IAM machinist who is currently on strike with a child due sometime in the next few weeks. He does auto detailing on the side. I might just have him detail Pearl because she deserves it and he could use some cash in his pockets.

Also: Video Game Doppleganger.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pz4cyrnBnHLZEG20aJGRe42kBXNi3M1p9KwXlYdFgm8yE5vDYYoNdLZ9mmjA8nJt