1 ... 52 53 54 55 56
crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/20/23 9:31 a.m.

Hell yeah. Is the eighth mile in Dallas GA still open?

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
11/20/23 12:44 p.m.

Very nice! Little frustrations can really kill a project if you don't get them.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/20/23 2:01 p.m.
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) said:

Hell yeah. Is the eighth mile in Dallas GA still open?

Not sure, this one is in Calhoun - Paradise drag strip. You should meet us there Dec 2nd. 

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/12/23 1:19 p.m.

Center console

I also fixed the sloppy shifter. It had a rubber bushing that was worn out, so I removed the rubber and welded it solid. Much easier to find reverse now.

While adding the console mounting tabs, I repositioned the parking brake cable bracket so I have more adjustment range.

Console lid is off a GMC Envoy. The cupholder is a generic marine part. No more using a shoe on the floor as a cupholder on the way to cars and coffee.

Weird car has weird siblings.

With the colder weather the engine has started pinging really bad at anything beyond cruising load, so I have to revisit the tune. I currently have EGO turned off and mid-20 degrees of timing in the problem area. May try reducing timing and playing with EGO control. Really I just need to pay a real tuner to do this right before I mess something up.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/12/23 3:36 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

IDK exactly what that engine wants, but generally speaking i wouldn't consider mid-20s BTDC a whole lot of advance.  maybe you're just running lean because colder air = denser air = needs more fuel?

maschinenbau
12/12/23 3:39 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

I agree and thought my initial timing was conservative. Possible it's due to the cold, but I thought the IAT sensor would account for density. Maybe I should check that sensor cal...

12/12/23 3:43 p.m.

even with sensors in range, fueling could be off because you've changed airflow on the inlet and the exhaust side.

maschinenbau
12/12/23 4:42 p.m.

Hmm. I pulled timing across the board, updated the sensor cals, turned EGO on, and did some more thorough autotune pulls. The fuel map definitely needed some more adjustments and I was able to do longer, more sustained pulls this time. Seems fine, no pinging, so I added the timing back. Still seems fine and runs fantastic. I guess I just need to keep putting more miles on it.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
12/12/23 5:07 p.m.

Crappy gas?  Old gas?  Been sitting for a while?

maschinenbau
12/12/23 6:11 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

It does often sit a while, and it was low on gas...

I might pull some plugs so you all can read them to me.

maschinenbau
12/18/23 9:02 p.m.

Turns out I had both fuel and spark issues. The fuel pressure regulator was randomly sticking open, causing pressure not to rise with manifold pressure, and therefore run lean. I took it apart and cleaned out some debris, and it hasn't come back yet.

The spark issue we found on the dyno. Yep, today was dyno day! I knew going into this my final number would probably start with a 1, but my main goals were driveability and response, and therefore more enjoyment of this car. DBW Motorsports in Atlanta did a great job with the scrappy Microsquirt ECU and made it run better than I ever could. They went above and beyond to diagnose a spark breakup issue, which turned out to be at least one bad coilpack (remember the used 370Z parts I bought?) One pack was replaced but another is suspect, so we stayed below 6500 RPM. While it might make over 200 whp revving to my intended 7200 RPM, I am happy to settle with a healthy and driveable 190 whp. A full new set of coils should ultimately fix the issue but it runs and drives so much better now and I am very happy with it.

Dyno day video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5wcRCHrZkk

3/4/24 8:50 a.m.

This thing is so wild in person. Love it.

maschinenbau
3/30/24 3:05 p.m.

Just been taking it to shows as often as I can. The tune has been performing perfectly. Money well spent.

Parked next to rustomatic's Falcon

And finally got to pose with my alma mater's mascot the Ramblin' Wreck, a 1930 Model A.

maschinenbau
6/27/24 11:35 a.m.

Thinking about selling. I've had my fun with the build process and it's everything I want it to be, which means now I'm bored!

Any recommendations on where to list a car like this? I think the non-American engine will turn off some audiences and appeal better to others. 

gixxeropa
gixxeropa GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/27/24 11:42 a.m.

I feel like an auction is the way to go for something like this, online because you want to reach a large audience to find the people that would be interested in it. I'm sure BaT would be happy to list it

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/27/24 11:50 a.m.

Yeah I think this one will bring a shocking amount of money on BAT. It's just so clean and well done. 

golfduke
golfduke Dork
6/27/24 12:17 p.m.

I will start the bidding with $50! 

6/27/24 12:46 p.m.
golfduke said:

I will start the bidding with $50! 

I see your fiddy and raise you tree!

that's right, tree fiddy!

MuSTANK
MuSTANK Reader
6/27/24 2:07 p.m.

We've had great luck in selling cars on BAT, a '55 Euro-spec sunroof Beetle and an first gen MINI S. Both went for well, WELL above original reserve. 

With BAT, you need to have PERFECT paperwork/documentation/title information. What is your car titled and registered as? All of the VIN plates and chassis numbers intact and in place? DMV inspection documents for a "hand made" vehicle? BAT is a genuine stickler for all of this as their reputation is always right on the line and anything amiss bounces right back onto them in the worst way being an international auction house.

Just a caution. Luck!

maschinenbau
6/27/24 2:52 p.m.

In reply to MuSTANK :

Thanks for the advice. I have an Indiana "Assembled Vehicle" title which lists it as a Year: 2018, Make: Assembled, Model: 1931 Ford Model A. This is because Indiana issued the state-assigned MVIN in 2018 when I applied for it, so that's the year they put down. I wonder if this will affect what a buyer in another state can do with it, like emissions etc. 

However, I am no longer in Indiana. I have a current Georgia registration, but no Georgia title, because they don't issue titles older than 1962 in this state. They made a copy of my Indiana title as proof of ownership, and handed it back to me.

So theoretically the buyer would have the option of using the IN title or the GA registration + GA bill of sale for their own states' paperwork. But I could see that being a red flag to some buyers in some states. 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
6/27/24 3:14 p.m.

FYI... GA will issue title for older vehicles, but you have to pay extra and apply through the state. 

6/27/24 3:28 p.m.

^ Sort of. You have to argue with a tag office official occasionally to register old vehicles that don't require it. Furthermore, If you ever register an old vehicle from out of state that had a title but was registered in GA without one, GA will never issue a GA title for that vehicle again even if you present the out of state title to them. 

Thanks for the advice. I have an Indiana "Assembled Vehicle" title which lists it as a Year: 2018, Make: Assembled, Model: 1931 Ford Model A. This is because Indiana issued the state-assigned MVIN in 2018 when I applied for it, so that's the year they put down. I wonder if this will affect what a buyer in another state can do with it, like emissions etc. 

However, I am no longer in Indiana. I have a current Georgia registration, but no Georgia title, because they don't issue titles older than 1962 in this state. They made a copy of my Indiana title as proof of ownership, and handed it back to me.

So theoretically the buyer would have the option of using the IN title or the GA registration + GA bill of sale for their own states' paperwork. But I could see that being a red flag to some buyers in some states. 

Regardless, I've had good experience selling on FB groups and BAT and if you type in that explanation 90% of perspective buyers get it and are undeterred. When it comes to states being strict on titleless vehicles, almost all states including the  most by the book tend to not care at all when you are talking anything over 50 years old much less almost 100.  I had this exact scenario selling my 240z. TN title with GA registration but no GA title because the tag office fought me that I didn't need it. Once registered, I went back to try and have them give me a GA title and they wouldn't. Either way, the Z sold in a day and with no issues. 

maschinenbau
6/27/24 3:34 p.m.

I was told in two different DMV visits that GA does not issue titles older than 1962, period. They are optional from 1962 to 1985, and even then, can be difficult to get like crankwalk said. There is a new process as of 2019, where GA will issue a "conditional title" for old stuff from a bill of sale, but that doesn't sound very legit, my car is already registered, and I never had a bill of sale because according to Indiana, I'm the one who built it LOL.

I am hopeful the right buyer won't care, but I worry it limits the pool. 

6/27/24 3:42 p.m.

Don't worry about it limiting the pool on a 1931. 

Since yours was already registered without a title in GA, there aren't going to let you get one now. The people who are in the market for toys of that value are familiar with the registration rules in their state as they've likely done it several times before. 

AxeHealey
AxeHealey GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/28/24 1:31 p.m.

Don't know how I missed the dyno video. I love the weirdness of the noise v. appearance. 

Big time GLWS. I hope you get a huge number!

1 ... 52 53 54 55 56

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GeGi3uy1iOgjUdErMXzYoUqDJMvnV0wYpPt07suQTVDnlg1uwzcaBc6lVLxV3fcI