1 2 3 4
Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA SuperDork
1/19/23 11:52 a.m.

Would the plural of Prius be Priuii?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/19/23 8:25 p.m.

While searching batteries for you tonight, I came across this listing on Indy FB

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/3319032368367039/?hoisted=false&ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3A18b684b9-7a02-464a-ace1-40dfcbb841fd

The bumper dent has you written all over it, ha:

The ad says:

06 Toyota Prius it has no power at all even when you put the key in, or jump it. Pretty sure main fuse is bad, not sure. Clean title for parts or repair

This no power leads me to think the problem is the "click connectors" at the 12v battery not being fully "clicked."  Or, it could be that tiny fuse inside that battery "click connector"

Racebrick
Racebrick Reader
1/19/23 8:34 p.m.
Jerry From LA said:

Would the plural of Prius be Priuii?

Close enough. I remember seeing some propaganda about it at the auto show a while back. https://pressroom.toyota.com/toyota-announces-the-plural-of-prius/

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
1/24/23 7:34 p.m.

So.... this is happening:

I figured it was a skill I needed to learn... if I was going to keep the family in old high mileage Priuii (Prius's)

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
1/24/23 8:21 p.m.

Looks like pack #3 is the low offender, so I'm targeting that one first..... Let's see what several cycles do to revive it.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/24/23 8:30 p.m.

Diggity!

I have not done this but I too expect to learn how in the future ( but not needed yet.)

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
1/25/23 12:07 p.m.

Putting some information here so I can come back to it later, or perhaps as a reference for someone else to follow a similar path:

The charger was  $75.99 from Amazon.

Edit to add this additional information from PriusChat:

Possible alternative charging strategy:

Edit again (2-2-2023) to add additional instructional guide (in text) from PriusChat forum:

reconditioning guide on PriusChat

78CobraII
78CobraII Reader
1/25/23 6:08 p.m.

If you put 2 Priuii together to make a Prius limo, would it be called a Priapus?

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
1/28/23 8:30 p.m.

In reply to 78CobraII :

Yes! ? !

We struck out at the local Pull-a- Part searching for a new hybrid battery.

(That's Indy-kid2 with me)

So, I pulled the hybrid battery out the Tribble (the third Prius I bought a while back) to grab a replacement cell and put it in Delta's pack.  Literally robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Here's a few in process pics:

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
1/28/23 8:36 p.m.

Put the battery back together and after a quick test drive, all's good.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/28/23 8:47 p.m.
Indy - Guy said:

How does your beard make you look younger but mine makes me look way older?

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
1/28/23 8:53 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

IDK . . .  Cause I'm handsome ?

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/28/23 10:06 p.m.

In reply to Indy - Guy :

Yeah I'm sure that's the answer.  

78CobraII
78CobraII Reader
1/29/23 1:49 a.m.

Apparently most battery packs are so valuable these days that they rarely make it to the junkyard and usually not even to an auction lot. I read about a guy that bought a Tesla at auction and found the battery can empty when he got the car.

I have seen guys selling individual cells on the web. That's probably where the packs are going.

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/29/23 8:13 a.m.

I'm enjoying all the Prius content you guys keep posting. Keeping them on the road may well be a survival skill in the future-maybe it already is. Do carry on.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
1/29/23 9:49 a.m.

I would recommend not trying to bring a cell back to life.  Just replace it.   It took a few weeks but I sold my good cells for $25 each or $20 each if they bought 3 or more. 

also, there are other years and models that use the same cells - corollas, rav4, Gen 2,3,4, etc.

your wire loom looks great. Mine and the nuts holding them on were all corroded. 

lastly, in the thread I did (Prius battery pack apparent death) I put part numbers and all of the videos I used.  After watching a bunch they were the most useful and efficient videos. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/29/23 10:18 a.m.

In reply to jfryjfry :

Please add a link here to your thread!

Great stuff!

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/29/23 11:06 a.m.

if you're futzing around with stuff, and have one "torn apart"... I'd be curious to know if a pack (i.e. "just the batteries in assembled with the cage") would fit in the floor board behind the driver's seat or passenger's seat?  (preferably one pack behind each)

if it's too much of a hassle, no worries.  these are just "idle wild prius thoughts", after all.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
1/31/23 10:05 a.m.

In reply to 78CobraII :

The battery packs are indeed valuable.  If I bought a tesla at auction and the battery can was empty, I'd be very upset.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
1/31/23 10:07 a.m.
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) said:

I'm enjoying all the Prius content you guys keep posting. Keeping them on the road may well be a survival skill in the future-maybe it already is. Do carry on.

It's all John Welsh's fault.  I'm just trying to continue to his example of sharing the owning / operating experience for anyone brave enough to dive in.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
1/31/23 10:10 a.m.
jfryjfry said:

I would recommend not trying to bring a cell back to life.  Just replace it.   It took a few weeks but I sold my good cells for $25 each or $20 each if they bought 3 or more. 

also, there are other years and models that use the same cells - corollas, rav4, Gen 2,3,4, etc.

your wire loom looks great. Mine and the nuts holding them on were all corroded. 

lastly, in the thread I did (Prius battery pack apparent death) I put part numbers and all of the videos I used.  After watching a bunch they were the most useful and efficient videos. 

I was just playing around with that dead cell as a test mostly.  I'm going to share a summary of what got me back on the road in a future post, but basically I came to the same conclusion you did.

Oh, and some of the bus bars/nuts were corroded.  I soaked them in vinegar and used steel wool to bring them back to "brightness"

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
1/31/23 10:11 a.m.
John Welsh said:

In reply to jfryjfry :

Please add a link here to your thread!

Great stuff!

John,  found his thread: "Prius battery pack apparent death"

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
1/31/23 10:13 a.m.
sleepyhead the buffalo said:

if you're futzing around with stuff, and have one "torn apart"... I'd be curious to know if a pack (i.e. "just the batteries in assembled with the cage") would fit in the floor board behind the driver's seat or passenger's seat?  (preferably one pack behind each)

if it's too much of a hassle, no worries.  these are just "idle wild prius thoughts", after all.

I'll check into it and report back, but I'm doubtful.  Are you planning a "hot rod Prius" build ?

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
1/31/23 10:43 a.m.

Ok, Here's the quick summary for the casual reader:  It only took replacing one cell to get the car up and running, plus my labor to remove and replace the battery.  The cost of the used cell would have been under $25 (plus shipping) for a used one.

Here's some more words for those who want to dig deeper:

I bought a third Prius ( the Tribble ) several months ago with a "bad" high voltage battery, it's just been sitting in the driveway.  I pulled the battery out of it and robbed one of the good cells to put in this Prius.  I soaked all of the nuts and bus bars in vinegar over night and then hit them with steel wool to remove the corrosion.  As per internet guides, I aligned all the cells with positive on one side, and negative on the other and  ran a common wire across all the terminals ( + and - ).  Left the battery sit over night.  This equalizes  the voltage between all 28 cells.  After that I pulled all the cells out and stacked them back to the alternating +,- orientation for reinstallation.  For this quick repair, I didn't even need the battery charger I purchased, just the voltage gage (multi-meter) to check voltage and identify the "bad" cell for replacement.

So the pack isn't actually re-conditioned yet, just repaired.  My plan is to experiment with the battery pack from the Tribble and actually cycle each of those cells (to restore some of the capacity) and then load test them, and final re-arrange them in the pack to match the pairs capacity.

I'm on the look out for a spare battery pack, but in the mean time, I've got four used cells coming from eBay that I'll use for the reconditioning.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/31/23 1:17 p.m.
Indy - Guy said:
sleepyhead the buffalo said:

[would] a HV pack fit in the floor board behind the driver's seat or passenger's seat?

I'll check into it and report back, but I'm doubtful.  Are you planning a "hot rod Prius" build ?

I want to keep any forum reader "safe" from hospitalization due to incredulous expulsion of hot beverages through their nasal passages; as well as keep prius threads from incessant posting of the "hellcat swapped prius is only hot rod prius" meme.

caveats aside, I've done some "napkin modeling" of a 2G Prius on track... and I'm arriving at around 3kWh of capacity required for multiple laps.  Hopefully I'll have more track-based kWh usage (expended and regen'd) data later this year.

so... planning?  more like "contemplating".

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6AIcLR7pteugiZIL8iFidIefYLJHpxbMhd9xQnriBXCxzkY8PO20SEG6Fvv4xZHJ